Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch in Dun Laoghaire

• 04-08-2005 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

I have only been working in Dublin 3 weeks and I work in Dun laoghaire. I mostly bring my own lunch - however there have been a few times when I have forgotten or just not been bothered. I am horrified by the prices and the quality of the "on the go" lunches that are available around here. Manna while the food is lovely is very expensive, Its a bagel seem to be ripping everyone off. Now today I have no lunch and what I really feel like is a toasted cheese sambo - can anyone recommend somewhere that I can sit read my magazine get a nice toastie and not get ripped off?
    Thanks in advance.
    MPA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

what sort of budget are you looking for?
    (i work just up on georges street)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I suppose around €5 for a nice sambo - God I know that is still a rip off but I am open to suggestion. I want to relax on my lunch hour and not feel like I am being rushed out the door and charged for the pleasure of it.
    Where would you recommend regardless of budget?
    Tks
    MPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Pop into Dunnes food store and get yourslf a BLT for around 3 euro. Then head for the seafront down Haig terrace!! or go inland to Clarinda or Crosthwaite Park...

For a slap-up meal try the Miami Cafe down towards Bloomfields, I reccommend the ham and cheese omelette with chips. mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to like the omlettes in Nemos.

And I used to love the old Relish, it had the most amazing bread. Then closed down for a while and opened back up again without the amazing bread. Perhaps it contained some form of narcotic.... hmmm...

I haven't been to Dun Laoghaire for few years now, so I'm really not qualified to recommend anywhere cheap...

M&S do nice sandwiches/salads
    I like the food in Janets - italian - you get a nice plate of pasta for around 6/7 euros

nuture is nice too - but perhaps a bit pricier that wanted 7euro for a sandwich and some salads (i think)

i went to the world cafe last week - it was lovely - currently my favourite place in DL

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - where are nuture and World Cafe? (roughly I know where Bloomfields and large places are so rough idea would be great)
    Tks
    MPA

the world cafe is opposite M&S - there's a sign and its up stairs
    nurture is down past DL shopping centre, and just beside abra-cadaver ;)

so what did you go with?

I went to what I imagine was nuture or whatever it was called. It was just past Abrekababra and even though I paid €8.00 I had a very substantial chicken sambo with swiss cheese and coleslaw, a side order of delicious baby potato salad. I topped it off with a Diet Coke with Lime - it was lovely. I would not pay it every day but I was delighted with it and thought it was very tasty.
    Thanks for the recommendation!!
    MPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I like Weirs hot joint sandwich. €8.00 or so I think.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

o'briens is always a safe option too, in the shopping centre.
    always busy though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

melbournes sandwich bar,its down past bloomfields all the way down the end of the road (just past mace) but sambos are about €3.00 for anything you want on them and rolls are €3.50 if i remember right.
    they do hotdogs paninis,baps,sausage rolls etc too.
    good n cheap :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

CJhaughey wrote:
    I like Weirs hot joint sandwich. €8.00 or so I think.

Skibum will be very happy you said that...

also, weirs do a fantastic "pin n mix" for around 12 euro, serves 2-3 and has spring rolls, sausages, chicken, mushrooms and something else that i cant remember...

Then there is GTI, Before the smoking ban, GTI used to be the place to chill out and drink coffee and try to discuss the world problums over a smoke and a coffee, now, i'm not so sure, the staff change VERY often and there has been some rumors about the hygeine,

World cafe is nice, slightly confined for my liking, does exelent food.

cafe moca on the seafront is nice also, large and has a lunch special for 7 euro i think,

bewleys in the bloomfield center is one i'd stick away from, never liked it and it always seemed dirty, for some reason,

Itsabagel is also on the seafront, but if your not into bagels, then its not for you,

if your feeling like you want total un-healthy food, there is mac donnalds and burger-king, and abara-kabra, (which is only ever occupied at night time), there is also 4 star pizza, they do a luch deal for 4 euros i think.

further down, by bloomfields, there is King Tut's. food is ok, and its not the cheepest place in DL, but you could go worse.

And before you think that i did a eating tour of Dun Laoghaire, i used to work there for 3 years....

Advertisement