Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no chilled wine in supermarkets

• 04-08-2005 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ok I dont know where the original post is but that really annoys me too... I love white wine but when I do my shopping in Dunnes on a Thursday night I have to stick it in my freezer for about an hour cause I hate leuke warm white wine and if I buy it in an off licence its always way dearer than the supermarket off licence :mad: and they have huge new fridges but they just use them for cans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

you can get an electric bottle chiller in argos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

or those cold sleeves you stick over the bottle, they do actually work. Some supermarkets have those instant chillers where you stick the bottle in a pool of cold liquid. The key in chilling is surrounding the bottle in direct contact with something cold. If you put it in the freezer the surround air chils the bottle, very slowly.
    You can make your own liquid chiller. Get a cheap tupperware container, tescos have cheap ones for about €5 that hold 13litres, fill it half way with water and add lots of salt. The salt will stop it freezing. Stick it in a chest freezer and dump your bottle into it. After a few days the salt water will be at -10-18C and cool that bottle in no time. Then rinse off the salty water.
    Works great for beer too. It may take up space, but in a large chest freezer it is more efficient to have it full, as you don't have a rush of air each time it is open, so it costs less on electricity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

xzanti wrote:
    Ok I dont know where the original post is but that really annoys me too... I love white wine but when I do my shopping in Dunnes on a Thursday night I have to stick it in my freezer for about an hour cause I hate leuke warm white wine and if I buy it in an off licence its always way dearer than the supermarket off licence :mad: and they have huge new fridges but they just use them for cans...

glad you agree, i took it off in dissapointment that there were no remarks of agreement on it(cant seem to delete posts anymore). yeah i told him he might be surprised how much more he'd sell if they went to the bother of chilling the wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

tirl wrote:
    you can get an electric bottle chiller in argos

interesting, yeah i just checked that out in the new catelogue p686.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think M&S has chilled wine cabinets... and the bigger Tescos usually have a few bottles in one of the beer fridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Drink red.

Seriously though, I keep seeing those wine chillers for white wines in supermarkets, I'd started to assume they all had them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Our local Super Valu has a fridge that says chilled wine - and it is full - but the fridge is not turned on!!!
    The 3 beer fridges are practically nordic they are so cold. It really annoys me to be honest.
    MPA

Advertisement