Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mauritania

Options
  • 04-08-2005 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

I've a question about the events currently unfolding in Mauritania...

From what I've been reading, the coup has been effcetively bloodless....but all the major international powers are queueing up to denounce the violence. Am I missing something? Is there bloodshed I haven't been reading about, or is it a case that the PTB (Powers That Be) are simply complaining that there's been a coup against a non-democratically-elected leader?

Presumably, Mauritania being both friendly with Israel (despite being Islamic) and in possession of oil, this isn't a coup the world leaders want to see.

jc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

The reaction seems to be fairly muted from the international community. According to the BBC and other sources the former president was quite harsh on suppressing Islamic fundamentalists which would have given him favourable status. Apparently there's a lot of oil under their sand so it will be very interesting to see how democratic the new Junta is.

Advertisement