Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school uniforms

Options
  • 04-08-2005 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi just wondering where I could get a nice navy uniform for my little guy who is starting school. I don't really like the Dunnes Stores ones. Could anyone give their opinion on what washes & wears well & is good quality!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I don't know the first thing about uniforms personally, but my mother was talking about them yesterday for my nephew and niece, and mentioned that Marks and Spencers had them for the same price as Dunnes but better quality...

hth

Baz_

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would also suggest marks & sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Roches have the lot, same price as Dunnes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

My daughter is starting school next month and I have bought nearly all of her uniform in Marks.
    It was far better value than the recommended shop and is identical. The quality is much better too. the jumpers are lovely and soft and *bonus* all of the shirts and skirts are non-iron!
    Approx €10 for the jumper and skirt and 2 shirts for €12... not bad I think you'll agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

How many sets of uniform should I buy for my 4 and a half year old son (i BOUGHT TWO OF EACH ITEM)? He's a very active lad too, so I reckon he'll be hard on uniforms. Any advise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Just giving my advice on what my mom used to do , she bought 3 of every item. On wednesday I would have clean uniform , and the point of the third was a backup in case of any accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

If your son has a school tracksuit as most do now, you should only need 2 uniforms and the tracksuit.

Hth,

Deb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

well the school day lasts from about 9 am until 1:30pm to 2:30 pm,
    that plus the fact most schools have a school tracksuit which is worn
    twice a week which mean that kids arent going to be thier uniform for that long.

Mine are made get changed out of thier uniforms as soon as they get home.
    Cant have thier snack/drink until they have changed.
    This means they are not going to get manky from playing in them or
    get them covered in dinner.

Two of everything is usually enough.
    but buying a longer length in trousers and sewing a large cuff on them can help
    for unexpected growth spurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Thank you all very much, Debracd, Thaed and WDK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TIME2

Roches have a wide selction and have just gone into a school uniform sale. Quality is deffinitley better than Dunnes and with the sale it cheaper than both Dunnes and Marks. Also I find the staff very helpful in the Henry Street branch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I travel to M&S in Cork and get school jumpers there. The best thing about their jumpers is that they can be tumble dried.

What I sometimes do when I see various bits of uniforms in a sale is pick up bits for the following year and get it a lot cheaper, when I can occasionally get 2 shirts for €3 - €5 or jumper for €6 I'm less likely to have a hissy fit when one of my boys comes home with a torn shirt/jumper or knee out through trousers.

Boys tend to be very hard wearing on uniforms so be prepared. No harm getting patches for the tracksuits either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Roches have 50% off their school uniforms at the moment and also have been the only place that I've found sell the 'readymade' ties that have the elastic loop (as I cant tie a proper tie to save my life!)

Bought about 10 of them to keep the kids going as I dont know where else stocks them after Roches closes!

Incidentally Tesco's are also quite reasonable for school shirts etc but second the reccommendation for M+S for the jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Adams trousers are great, jumpers not so good.
    Tesco do a great range, been in and out for the washer time and again and still look like new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

After 6 years of uniforms and on my third boy I have to say I don't touch the department stores for jumpers or trousers. HUNTER seems to be the best brand jumper and I found them in a small drapery shop. Cheap jumpers are the falsest of economies, especially on boys!
    Re trousers, Skippy the best - hardwearing as hell, but don't worry about this for the 4 year old, he won't go too hard on anything - it's when they get older that they come home covered in muck and try they're best to rip the knees out!!!!
    Dunnes or penny's or even Heatons is grand for shirts, polo tops etc

Do insist the uniform comes off every evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kirmett

As a parent of 4 kids, 3 of which are boys, I would have to totally recommend buying Deer Park Knitwear.

Although a little more expensive than the department stores, the quality is 100% better. I tried the whole M & S uniform for our youngest last year and they just don't wash well. I guess it's like everything else, you get what you pay for.

I buy them in Lynches of Marino but think you can also get them in Tommys Blanchardstown S/C. Think they are an Irish Company so I'm guessing they're available Nation Wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

After failing to remember the trauma I had last year, I have again left it late to buy uniforms and am struggling to find any reasonably priced items anywhere. There is a uniform shop in Newmarket which I will probably end up buying from in desperation as I did last year.

Dunnes in Mallow say they have no girls trousers at all and won't be getting any more. My daughter doesn't go back to school for another 10 days so I'll find something but this attitude is very unhelpful. What do you do if you move into an area midterm or your kids gets a hole in their trousers ?? Heatons had a few items left and I managed to get a great pair of black shoes for my lad but the girls jumpers were very thin and cheap looking, I need a couple of navy sweatshirts really and one pair of girls navy trousers.

I find one pair of trousers each is fine, I time a dark wash for when the kids get in from school and any uniform items that need washing is done and on the overhead airer by 5.30pm at the latest and dry by the next morning. They grow out of things so quickly (aged 12 and 13) its not worth me buying 2 pairs of trousers in the same size.

Does anyone know if Roches/Tescos in Tralee has any stock left? Tescos school uniforms are very good value I find, you can wash them till the cows come home and they never fade or stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

edengarden wrote: »
    Hi just wondering where I could get a nice navy uniform for my little guy who is starting school. I don't really like the Dunnes Stores ones. Could anyone give their opinion on what washes & wears well & is good quality!

marks and spencers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Oh my lord, between one thing and another I still havent got my sons uniform.

I was no where near panicking until a woman in the shop was like "are you serious, you wont get a uniform now"!!

Oops! Surely this isnt true?

I am going to Roscommon this evening and Galway 2moro. ANyone know somewhere I can still get age 7/8 navy boys trousers, jumper and blue polo shirt??

Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ether wrote: »
    Roches have the lot, same price as Dunnes too.

Where is Roches? I thought they were well gone.

*the coin drops*
    agh@the age of the original thread!!!!

Advertisement