Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable flooring contractor

Options
  • 04-08-2005 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just bought an apartment and I'm looking to floor it with either laminate or semi solid wooden floors. I've rang around a couple of contractors from the yellow pages and the quotes I'm getting aren't varying too much, I've also checked these quotes include the beading to allow expansion between floor and skirting boards. A friends recommended to use 1 contractor for both the buying of the floor and the laying it as there's the risk of buying a sh'tty floor and the layer getting poor goods etc. Most contractors seems to recommend a floor provider and I go and give them the contractors name and I pick out the floor which they will lay.

I'm very wary of just going with some guy from the phone book, can anybody recommend one they've used/friend/relative has used and had had a good job done? Any advice is very welcome!

Thanks in advance
    Shak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

shakaman wrote:
    Hi all,

I've just bought an apartment and I'm looking to floor it with either laminate or semi solid wooden floors. I've rang around a couple of contractors from the yellow pages and the quotes I'm getting aren't varying too much, I've also checked these quotes include the beading to allow expansion between floor and skirting boards. A friends recommended to use 1 contractor for both the buying of the floor and the laying it as there's the risk of buying a sh'tty floor and the layer getting poor goods etc. Most contractors seems to recommend a floor provider and I go and give them the contractors name and I pick out the floor which they will lay.

I'm very wary of just going with some guy from the phone book, can anybody recommend one they've used/friend/relative has used and had had a good job done? Any advice is very welcome!

Thanks in advance
    Shak
    SIL just got hall, living room, dining room and all upstairs done in solid oak 5" boards supplied & fitted by Des Kelly. She said she got a good deal on the solid, although she was originally going for semi. The solid is not the nicest but it's solid. It looks more like semi.

I don't see a problem in buying the wood floor from a supplier and getting someone to fit it. I recently bought 40sq yd of solid oak from Buckleys and got a local carpenter to fit it.

As for laminate, it's very easy to fit and you could do a small room in 1-2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭shakaman

Thanks for the advice Lex

Advertisement