Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Switching Muppetry?!?!?!?

Options
  • 04-08-2005 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

It has happened several times in the last few weeks. I'm playing away on a ranked server, going about the business of trying to 'win' ;) when just at that point that the opposition looks like they are screwed, I get switched to the other side by the server.

Now - I find I'm on the receiving end of all that hard work that went before. All those bases captured, all that armour destroyed, all that work goes south as I start to regroup and try to undo it. Usually without much effect.

What exactly are the criteria for getting switched to the 'other' team? Why and when does it happen? tis most frustrating :mad:

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Happens to me all the time as well, most recently when I was leading a 5man squad on the marines side, and much was the MEC a*se being handed to them by us. Then I promptly get switched to the MEC side, We were the top ranked squad and I was ranked third on the server, after the flyboys.

I don't let it bother me that much though, I just switch back at the end of the round if I really want to be on the other side. It usually gives me the opportunity to hurl out a few "Durka Durka"s though, cause I thinks quite original and hilarious.

As to the mechanics of how it picks who's to be moved, my heart says its utterly random but I actually think It may work on some aggregate scoring model. Ie it looks at the overall scores for each team and moves whichever player/s will even out those scores the most, thus if the games pretty even it'll move lower ranked players while if theres a huge discrepancy it will move the "uber" players. That would make sense to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

happened to me the other week on sharqi peninsula, spent the whole round as US, kicked a ton of arse, was in first place, we were whomping the mec, and with about 10 tickets to go i get switched to MEC...grr. FFs..it should switch the person with the lowest score, not the highest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

happened to me the other week on sharqi peninsula, spent the whole round as US, kicked a ton of arse, was in first place, we were whomping the mec, and with about 10 tickets to go i get switched to MEC...grr. FFs..it should switch the person with the lowest score, not the highest

But then surely the crappy team would just get crapier :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Can't imagine trying to conduct decent matches / tourneys or clan matches with this little gem in action ;)

It is frustrating tho.. especially when you get a good squad together on a public server (usually by accident rather than design) and it's all working very well.. then BOOM! you end up on the receiving end of the smackdown instead for the last few crushing minutes.

Annoying as hell!

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i was commander of the mec on a server the other day. we were kickin ass and just as we had them beaten i was team switched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

makes it next to impossible to get a good squad though. Has happened me loads of times. I like autobalance, it helps stop the game from becoming as one sided as a boxing match between stephen hawkins and Mike Tyson but swapping people from inside squads is really really annoying.

Its been said before. the lone wolves (anti social gits) should be balanced before anyone inside a squad. Joining a squad is a sign that you *want* to play as part of the team you are currently on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Its a pain on the public servers allrights as its rare enough to be in a decent squad and infuriating to be removed from it.

Autobalance can be switched on and off though as a server side option so I'd say most of the clan servers would have it switched off. Just check the server settings before you login and find one where its off if its a major hassle for you.

Personally I enjoy the challenge, you only get better if your playing against people who are more skilled than you are. And I hate rounds that degenerate into a "camp the main base" fest that you usually get when the teams are far too lopsided.

Spawn,Arty,Dead,Spawn,Plane,Dead,Spawn,Helo,Dead,Spawn,Tank,Dead etc etc etc etc
    Never happened to Chuck Norris in Delta Force like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

that was happening to us last night iceman kept getting switched even though he was a the commander of a squad.

that needs to be sorted, unnasigned peole first, squad members second, squad leaders third, commanders last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Honestly depends what server you are on. Some just pick random people afaik , then there is a command that can be stuck on the server not to auto balance commanders, another for squad leaders & another for squad members. Dont ask me where I saw it...... But they do exist :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

ghost26ie wrote:
    i was commander of the mec on a server the other day. we were kickin ass and just as we had them beaten i was team switched.

Ditto... Though I was switched and then switched back, then switched again.
    TK's galore....

Stupid in my opinion, the teams should be balanced at the start of a game, not during it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Guys ranked servers run under a very strict rule set. You cant run any non aproved scripts. EA are working on a more balancing script that will only move non squaded players. It all be good in the end.

Fairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgtdiesalot

Its been said before. the lone wolves (anti social gits) should be balanced before anyone inside a squad. Joining a squad is a sign that you *want* to play as part of the team you are currently on.[/QUOTE]

sorry to be annoyed at your comment but i work as a lone wolve have often been top of the scoring get switch over and its just a pain in the hole, to get losing rating on map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Getting switched during a game does not effect your score in any way. The only person effected would be the commander as he gets extra on a winning side AFAIK.

Fairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

LoLth wrote:
    I like autobalance, it helps stop the game from becoming as one sided as a boxing match between stephen hawkins and Mike Tyson but swapping people from inside squads is really really annoying.

Yeah, Mike Tyson doesn't stand a chance against Stephen Hawking's spring loaded boxing glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

It's the second biggest pain in the game. The first being that you get TKs for people in your vehicle when others kamikazi it.

I tend to be squad leader all the time (dunno why, just seems natural - and people don't seem to mind following me) but when i'm trying to get us somewhere and I then get switched when I die - WTF? It's not my score i'm bothered about - it's the teamwork, and being in a good squad. It's then suddenly HAVING to become a lone wolf which I didn't want. I could start a squad but i'd still be alone (late in the game) or try to join another squad and not know if they're muppets or not.

I prefer autoteambalance off. I know it can be a bit gay, but from my experience, even with 37 vs 27, with good squads, you can still win, or pull it VERY close. It's all about having 1 good squad and a good commander.

Eg. Strike at Karkand - the commander can rest assured that the good squad can pretty much hold the front line (even if it's 3 at either side - medic, support, assault), and let the rest of the team sit in the middle blindly rushing in (all MEC side).

As USMC make sure the good squad grab a couple of APCs and get their asses down to the back flags. Forgetting frags, and getting a foothold in the map.

like booting the hummer over the hill and behind the house, i still say we should have left it behind and gone on foot. due to my crafty driving it was a deathtrap :p

although it was fun coming over the first hill and landing on a hapless MEC sap :D

LOL.

You just reminded me of a move I made last night.

It was on thingy stalemate (shonghongwhaddayacallit). I spawned at the upper chinese flag (beside their upper chopper) and wanted to get down to the lower flag asap. So I jumped in a jeep and drove to the edge as fast as I could.

Started flying down the hill getting bumped the whole way and taking vehicle damage, then reached the final bump before the bottom - wasn't looking good, so I jumped.

The vehicle hit the bump, went flying into the air and crushed some enemies below (it flew over a truck container before hitting them - dukes of hazard style) and I parachuted a couple of feet to the ground before going prone and killing the rest of them.

Was quite impressed with myself tbh :D

you are one of the most wreckless drivers i have ever been in a transport with :P
    apart from myself.

Yeah but I get us there :D

I'm much more careful in a chopper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']
    The vehicle hit the bump, went flying into the air and crushed some enemies below (it flew over a truck container before hitting them - dukes of hazard style) and I parachuted a couple of feet to the ground before going prone and killing the rest of them.

Did the game pause, followed by a running commentary of a slack-jawed yokel saying 'Now dem Duke boys dont know a rattler from a horny toad, but those guys sure know how to fly a chopper'?

Hopefully something like that will be included with the patch at the end of the month...sweeet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement