Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help!! Peugeot Seat Problem

Options
  • 04-08-2005 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping one or two of you might be able to help me out.

I have a Peugeot 406 coupe. Over the weekend the missus got in. Her being considerably shorter than me she shoved the seat forward. When I next got in I went to push the seat back, competly jammed.

So I bring it up to a main dealership and leave it with them. On my return they tell me that a rail has to be replaced. No big deal I think. Then they tell me that the part will cost €400! plus labour!! plus VAT!!! 800 yoyos give or take. So I go, no thanks, gonna get a second opinion on this. They then tell me that I owe them 120 odd yoyos for the time they spent not fixing anything...argument ensues...

So anyways, next stop, trusty local mechanic. Within 30 seconds he tells me that the rail will need to be replaced..no mention of 120yoyos for his diagnostic skills...and he offers to give the parts blokes a bell their and then, and off he goes.

He returns with a white face - part will indeed cost €400. He also says that its a common problem on all Pugs, some rubber bit wears out or something and thats it, whole new rail has to be put in place. Effectively a design fault.

So at this stage I want to know has anyone else had this experience, and if so how did they get around it? I can't believe getting this sorted is going to cost me this sort of money...

Thanks

B_n_B
    (The guy driving around with his knees touching his chin)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Something similar I think has happened with my 306 on the passenger side. The seat appears to be jammed in the one position however I haven't bothered getting it checked as its in the position where i would have it anyway and so dont need to move it back or forward.

Doesn't help you out much but its something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

rail from a breakers yard maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Unfortunatly the OPs situation is different, as the seat in a coupe needs to be moved to access the back seats.

Interestingly, my mothers coupe had the exaact opposite problem. The seat didn't lock into position, and when she accelerated, the seat would go flying back!!!!

Fixed FOC, as this nearly caused her to crash, and the threat of a legal action was a bit of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Thanks all of you, does sound like this is a manufacturers fault rather than something that just 'breaks'.

In terms of getting a rail from the breakers yard, would like to, but as Prospect pointed out, it has to tip up to let people get into the back seat, so can't see too many examples being in breakers yards. Maybe its the same rail model as in all 2 seater Pugs, not sure how to check this out though.

Hopefully a few more people will post here about this problem, if it is indeed a common problem I'm gonna get really and very vocally pissed with someone (read ANYONE connected to Peugeot) in terms of them charging €400 for the part...talk about a rip-off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

just use a standard rail and make people get in and out behind the passenger for a while until you can get your hands on the correct rail at a reasonable price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Get a hold of some golden pages books for around the country. Call every breakers yard you can find and hopefully someone will have a 406 coupe scrapped up there. Don't tell them how much it is new though cos that's what they'll base their price on. Chances are they'll call Peugeot anyway to price it, but you don't want to give it to him that easy!

Bring it to your local mechanic or if you're handy, fit it yourself. I say handy, I mean know your way around a car without making mistakes or wrecking it.

Unfortunately, some Peugeot parts are excessively expensive because for one reason or another they'll only supply the whole unit as opposed to the little bit that's broken. Bit of a cod if you ask me. There's no getting away from the 120 quid they are charging you. That drives me mad that most dealers you go in to with a question want you to leave it in for a look, i.e. handy money. Charge 2 hours work for 10 mins actual work type thing. Run a mile from this practice. I've been in that situation before where I knew the problem in my car, but wanted it verified through conversation and talking about symptoms. They wouldn't entertain me at all unless I would leave it in. Told them where to stuff it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

look at the recent traynors thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

prospect wrote:
    Unfortunatly the OPs situation is different, as the seat in a coupe needs to be moved to access the back seats.

Interestingly, my mothers coupe had the exaact opposite problem. The seat didn't lock into position, and when she accelerated, the seat would go flying back!!!!

Fixed FOC, as this nearly caused her to crash, and the threat of a legal action was a bit of concern.

My mate had the exact same problem with his 406 coupe, passenger seat didn lock and just kept sliding back and forward. His handbrake stopped staying up, meaning he couldnt apply it, so he had to park on the flat ground accross his drive for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Well looks like a common problem to me, definitely going to start whinging at importers, dealers, mail to .com site etc etc.

Really want to get it fixed correctly, but damned if I am paying over 400yoyo's for what should only be a metal rail.

Last resort - reckon go to a breakers and see what they have to say, that Traynors place looks good - thanks for the tip

Bits_n_Bobs

Advertisement