Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish music-swappers admit liability

1235»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Well it is if you don't want to lose your house!! :eek:
    €2000 - €6000 is hardly going to break the bank, which is what the out of court settlements are so far.
    Heavy price to pay for a few songs alright, but everything you do is a gamble. Drive to work and you risk getting in a serious accident, get on a plane and you run the risk of falling out of the sky in a ball of flame.

It's all about balancing up risk/reward, and risk is fairly low even at this juncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

8 people isn't that big a number when you compare it to the amount of people who actually download music everyday!

Hearing this news wouldn't put me off downloading music if I was in that way inclined, just like a car crash on a road wouldn't put me off driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

CuLT wrote:
    €2000 - €6000 is hardly going to break the bank, which is what the out of court settlements are so far.
    Heavy price to pay for a few songs alright, but everything you do is a gamble. Drive to work and you risk getting in a serious accident, get on a plane and you run the risk of falling out of the sky in a ball of flame.

It's all about balancing up risk/reward, and risk is fairly low even at this juncture.

How many CDs would that buy? With no risk......... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I've been looking into this, but i can't seem to get a definate answer...

Is it illegal to download songs you already own? I.e. if i owned a copy-protected album and i couldn't rip it. Could i legally download those tracks to put them on my mp3 player? Some say yes, some say no. Does anyone have a link which proves it one way or another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

tbh,its all a mess. Everyone gives a different answer. For any conclusive answer, your going to need to research it properly.

Yesterday, someone told me of a friend of theirs recently having ALL the computer stuff taken by authorities, and now they are facing a 15,000 fine or 2 years in prison.
    I don't know if he now has to prove that the stuff on the HDDs are legally his, or if they have to prove if he was caught downloading/uploading illegally.Or that if he even exists.

as a matter of interest, where would i have to go, to find legal info on the situation? What can be proven and what can't etc? Like acts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Is it illegal to download songs you already own? I.e. if i owned a copy-protected album and i couldn't rip it. Could i legally download those tracks to put them on my mp3 player? Some say yes, some say no. Does anyone have a link which proves it one way or another?

Sorry can't get you definitive link, apart from Irma's view, which is -

"In a further twist,Doyle reiterated Irma's view that copying music from CDs onto iPods and computers remained illegal in Ireland under copyright law. He said that while tracks downloaded from iTunes website contained a licence to copy the song, no such provision existed in Irish law for music copied directly from CDs."
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/08/07/story6937.asp

Utterly ridiculous...

TimAy, that sounds like complete horsesh*t tbh, was it even anything to do with sharing music? was it even in this country? sounds like someone's imagination got a bit over-excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Peanut wrote:
    "In a further twist,Doyle reiterated Irma's view that copying music from CDs onto iPods and computers remained illegal in Ireland under copyright law. He said that while tracks downloaded from iTunes website contained a licence to copy the song, no such provision existed in Irish law for music copied directly from CDs."
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/08/07/story6937.asp

Utterly ridiculous...
    0_o

lmao,you can't be f***ing serious?

That may be one of the most moronic things i have ever heard.

Yea, i thought that his story was a bit mad. It would have been in all the papers had it been true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

tbh it doesn't matter. Go ahead. Knock yourself out. You own it on CD and due to their clumsy efforts at crushing walnuts with sledgehammers you can't listen to it while you jog...dinnae make me laugh!

There's not a court in the land that would come down on you for making a copy of what you own yourself in another medium, no matter what the record industry says....

Advertisement