Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live Footy on Irish TV 3pm Saturdays

• 04-08-2005 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Hi, I thought I would start a thread on this as often the info is announced late or changes late. RTÉ and Setanta Ireland can each show 15 live Prem matches in the season. Setanta are first off the blocks as RTÉ2 are scheduled to show a GAA Q-F double-header that afternoon. Btw 'The Premiership' highlights show returns to RTÉ2 that evening at 7.15 with a bumper 1h 35m show :). If you hear of a live Prem match on RTÉ or Setanta please post it here.
    F.A. Premier League
    Sunderland -VS- Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 13 August 2005 — 3pm — LIVE Setanta Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nice to see they're starting off with a cracker...

Is setanta free if you already have the full Sky Digital package? (ie. with skysports and the movie channels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

No, it's not free on Sky Digital. It costs €150 a year. This is a new payment structure they have launched for this season (it includes Celtic TV, Rangers TV and Setanta 1 and Setanta 2). Setanta Ireland is free on cable with NTL, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

According to a post on the Cable/MMDS/Broadband, RTE will be screening their premiership matches in widescreen on NTL this season which should be good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Setanta is carried free on ntl. But if you have Sky Digital, and have switched over from ntl, ntl may not have gone to the bother of cutting off your old cable package, and might have left it free of charge, in which case you'll have Setanta on cable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

how about making this a sticky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Setanta is free on NTL:Digital too. As for the first match in question, it may not be a cracker but there will be a fair few Irish players involved with Sunderland so it could be interesting from that perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

I got Prem Plus free last year. It used to be on eurosport. That was on normal cable. I remember they gave sky sports free a few years ago to try and get people to sign up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

~Rebel~ wrote:
    nice to see they're starting off with a cracker.

On paper perhaps not but it's good to see that they are varying their coverage and I hope RTE plan on doing the same.
    To a neutral there is nothing worse than watching Utd, Chelsea and Aresnal week in week out particularly against weak oposition like Southampton etc. like they did a number of times last year.

Sky will always put the high profile games on at 12.30 or 5.30 on a Saturday or 2pm, 4pm on a Sunday. That leaves RTE\Setanta with the big teams against the weaker sides and who really what to watch too much of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote:
    nice to see they're starting off with a cracker...
    One of the best matches on Irish TV last season was Soton-Norwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

indeed it was :)
    its always good to see the heavyweights on live tv but man that southampton v norwich game was fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Exciting to watch but very poor skill level and terrible defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eirebhoy wrote:
    One of the best matches on Irish TV last season was Soton-Norwich.

Man i was soo pissed off when i flicked on the tv and found that just starting as a Liverpool match had been scheduled. Twas a thuroughly enjoyable game alright though, and i think the first time i had real admiration for Crouch (not counting the game where he destroyed us single handedly cause, well, i hated him that day!). Loads of goals but some of the worst defending i've ever seen...ever! I actually think i couldn't have done a worse job - and im a 5ft 6.5' forward! Was great to see redknapp have a great game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Shamrok wrote:
    No, it's not free on Sky Digital. It costs €150 a year. This is a new payment structure they have launched for this season (it includes Celtic TV, Rangers TV and Setanta 1 and Setanta 2). Setanta Ireland is free on cable with NTL, I believe.
    its not free with ntl cable only on ditital but thats an extra €10 , as far as i know each of the irish channels each have 15 games to view tv3 took european football, rte and setanta took the english league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭talla

tel922001 wrote:
    its not free with ntl cable only on ditital but thats an extra €10 , as far as i know each of the irish channels each have 15 games to view tv3 took european football, rte and setanta took the english league

It is free with the standard NTL analogue cable service. It is in Dublin anyway.

RTÉ2 will show a live match on 20 Aug. They have not yet decided on which one — hopefully, Liverpool's first home match of the season vs Sunderland.

tel922001 wrote:

it is on the analogue service for no extra cost in Waterford and Dublin at least

dont RTÉ have PL and Champions League, so that more than 15 games for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

maybe ur right i didnt think i had setanta on ntl until after i got the dig package in, maybe im wrong im in the dublin area and ive only got the digi in 8 months ago,, as from wat i heard there is a certain amount of money required for a station to play more than 15 games from the english premiership , there is a rather big leap in costs so thats why they only view that many , be good rather then given sky (those robbing b*****ds) money

RTÉ have confirmed details of their first live match of the season.
    Note, however it is on RTÉ1 not RTÉ2. There is GAA on 2.

F.A. Premier League

Liverpool -VS- Sunderland
    Saturday 20 August 2005 — 3pm — LIVE RTÉ1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I can see it all now.

RTE/Setanta abandon their love affair with Man United
    and jump into bed with Mick McCarthy's Sunderland.

A season of mundane footy on Irish tv beckons.

Get a NON-SKY satellite guys. the english Premier League channel
    from TPS France or ART Sports channels show the lot.

here's a very good page for Football on TV listings
    http://knplogic.com/sport/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

its better than no football, ive been in withdrawal!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

shamrok - where'd you get your info from?

looking forward to seeing the pool on tv again! yay!

I have a couple of contacts in RTÉ who tell me when they hear something. The trouble is thats its not unusual for RTÉ to decide on a match and then change their match choice late on.

I'm sure I saw an ad for the Liverpool v Sunderland match on RTE during the the weekend so I'd say that confirms it.

Just to prove that Sky do not snap up all the big games every weekend:

F.A. Premier League

Tottenham -VS- Chelsea
    Saturday 27 August 2005 — 3pm — LIVE Setanta Ireland

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

RTE2:

Man Utd V Man City

10th september 3pm kickoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I thought that was moved to 1pm on request of the two teams. Which means it can't be shown on RTE/Sentanta. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

It was changed back to 3pm. Couldnt find a reason.

bucks73 wrote:
    It was changed back to 3pm. Couldnt find a reason.
    Where did you get this from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The fans went nuts.
    Manchester United fans from Manchester hate sky cause every single Utd game is changed from sat 3 kickoff.
    So when a match isn't being shown, they really wanted it at 3, and they got it.
    Great news for non-UK united fans, since we get to watch it on RTE :P

• Advertisement

That's good news.

Is there a page on RTE's website where they post their live matches or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Brian017 wrote:
    Where did you get this from?

Both the United and city websites.

F.A. Premier League
    Charlton -VS- Chelsea
    Saturday 17 September 2005 — 3pm — LIVE Setanta Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I heard that they were showing the United vs City match on rte but i just got this on the website

The Premiership LIVE
    Chelsea v Sunderland RTÉ TWO 2.45pm
    Saturday September 10

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/premiership/1058001.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

I heard that they were showing the United vs City match on rte but i just got this on the website

The Premiership LIVE
    Chelsea v Sunderland RTÉ TWO 2.45pm
    Saturday September 10

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/premiership/1058001.html
    Pal wrote:
    I can see it all now.

RTE/Setanta abandon their love affair with Man United
    and jump into bed with Mick McCarthy's Sunderland.

A season of mundane footy on Irish tv beckons.

Oh Christ no, not bottom of the table Sunderland again, that's 3 times alreday between RTE and Setanta
    And I was really looking forward to the Manchester derby

Afraid you were right Pal

It also says that Chelsea are the only side that have a 100% record which is incorrect, Charlton and United have too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

...... pointless Sunderland.....

Kind of sums up the clubs stay in the PL. :D

F.A. Premier League
    Manchester United -VS- Blackburn Rovers
    Saturday 24 September 2005 — 3pm — LIVE RTÉ2

Fulham v Manchester United - Sat 1st October - KO 3pm Setanta Sports

From setanta.com:
    The highlight of the week for soccer fans must be the chance to catch Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United side travel to Craven Cottage to take on Fulham LIVE at 2.30pm on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

4 of Setanta's next 6 games feature Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Yeah who needs MUTV :)

• Advertisement

RTÉ avoid ManU live shocker!! :D
    F.A. Premier League
    Chelsea -VS- Bolton
    Saturday 15 October 2005 — 3pm — LIVE RTÉ TWO

F.A. Premier League
    Manchester United -VS- Tottenham
    Saturday 22 October 2005 — 3pm — LIVE Setanta Ireland

but notto worry, they are on Setanta the following Saturday :rolleyes:

subscribe to Setanta for the Premiership? some chance

Its not only RTE avoiding Man U on Sat. Most of the foreign broadcasters are avoiding Utd and liverpool next weekend. I suppose it make a change.

Us Man U supporters have seen every single Prem game live so far this season, whether it was on Sky, PPV, Setanta or Rte. Luckily for me it looks like that run will continue as TPSfoot( a french channel) look like that are sticking with Man U next weekend

As pointed out by Shamrock

F.A. Premier League
    Manchester United -VS- Tottenham
    Saturday 22 October 2005 — 3pm — LIVE Setanta Ireland

And the following week
    FA Premier League.
    Saturday 29th Oct 2005

Liverpool v West Ham

RTE TWO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

all that uk soccer and you could find spanish and itialian footy etc, and near scrape the broadcasting barrel for a little eircom league?? pityful that our national tv stations find it so much of a challenge to put it on the box,

boohoo, wrong thread for your moan tbh

Mossy Monk wrote:
    boohoo, wrong thread for your moan tbh

funny i thought the fact that its IRISH tv ment it would be the perfect place for my "moan" TBH, you know seeing as its:
    a>Irish TV
    b>Irish Football
    c>Ireland
    a+b+c=Valid Point

but the thread is about 3pm games on Setanta and RTÉ2

i'm just say that it's a shame they use up all their quota of football tv time before considering the el, it saddens me. I'd be the 1st to admit the standard is low, but lets be honest without the backing of the fans and TV the money can't come in, without the money the standard stays poor, poor standard means no TV its a vicious circle, i'b bet dime against doller if (and when) a eircom league team makes it into th CL, if their match clashes with an english clubs game the english team would get prefrence on TV coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

blu_sonic wrote:
    i'm just say that it's a shame they use up all their quota of football tv time before considering the el, it saddens me. I'd be the 1st to admit the standard is low, but lets be honest without the backing of the fans and TV the money can't come in, without the money the standard stays poor, poor standard means no TV its a vicious circle, i'b bet dime against doller if (and when) a eircom league team makes it into th CL, if their match clashes with an english clubs game the english team would get prefrence on TV coverage.

Do Tv3 not have the el rights?

Anyway they're there to provid what the people want, and the people want Premiership football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement