Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Bandwidth Monitoring Tool

• 04-08-2005 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Yo,

I have a Netgear DG834 router and am looking for a software tool to monitor the traffic going through the WAN port. I have DU Meter on my PC but that monitors traffic on the LAN port, which collects all the LAN traffic as well.....Any ideas? I can software that needs to be web hosted as well.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mrtg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

ntlbell wrote:
    mrtg?

heh, i was just after downloading that and haven't tried it out yet, any good? I see HEANET use it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

heh, i was just after downloading that and haven't tried it out yet, any good? I see HEANET use it....

It's very good, you might also look at http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/ it's basically mrtg but alot quicker you can monitor just about anything.

anyone other gui software available for easy configuration? I'd have the time to setup a more complicated counter but an already made GUI interface would be a lot more convenient. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

prtg is easy to use, and free if only using 1 monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

I have been using PRTG for the last few months now, and it has been monitoring my Linksys WRT54g, and it works great. also tells you stuff like how much traffic has gone though. if using this, i would advice setting it as a service and maybe having a dedicated machine, just for monitoring it as a service.

I don't have any smtp or sntp or whatever it's called port on the Netgear router though, so i can't use prtg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

for mrtg, prtg or even RRD tool, you need SNMP. i dont know of anything else. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

This won't be much use to you if your router doesn't support SNMP but I came across something called Samurize that nobody's mentioned yet.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12711474
    (Note: Alchemy is a 3rd party firmware for the Linksys WRT54G)

Snowbat wrote:
    This won't be much use to you if your router doesn't support SNMP but I came across something called Samurize that nobody's mentioned yet.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12711474
    (Note: Alchemy is a 3rd party firmware for the Linksys WRT54G)

that looks pretty good snowbat, thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
Advertisement