Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Phoblacht/Republican News

Options
  • 04-08-2005 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Where can I buy AN PHOBLACHT/REPUBLICAN NEWS in Cork? Don't say Easons because I've tried!!!!! Anyone know where I can buy it??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Go into any bar in Turners Cross/Barrack St/Shandon St, and some guy in a Celtic shirt with a guzzy ete and a whispy tasche will invariably show up selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try the Celtic-bedecked pub next to Nancy's on Barrack Street. I reckon that's a good spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

You can buy an annual subscription for €65 (cheques or postal/money orders only it seems) from the An Phoblacht website http://www.anphoblacht.com/subscriptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Why on Earth would you want to buy such a propaganda drenched rag? If you support the republican cause, make a donation is my advice. <speaking from a politically neutral viewpoint> I know that most newspapers etc. these days have a vendetta, but that particular one just takes the biscuit. It's a sickening read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Either way. He asked where not what it is in your opnion.
    Go to your Sinn Fein office in cork,they have to have one there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

A guy used to sell it on Patrick St outside what used to be Burgerland and then that card shop. I have definitely seen him there in the past 6 months on a Saturday.

P.S Its a piece of trash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Ha ha yeah I just wanted to read it outta curiosity, it is even in the trashy tabloid format!! Thanks anyway

Why on Earth would you want to buy such a propaganda drenched rag? If you support the republican cause, make a donation is my advice. <speaking from a politically neutral viewpoint> I know that most newspapers etc. these days have a vendetta, but that particular one just takes the biscuit. It's a sickening read...

LOL sickening? Surely for a Nationalist it can't be that bad!!

Do you know where that is???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Bottom of Barrack Street I think.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Bottom of Barrack Street I think.

Thanks, I prob won't be bothered though, I just wanted to see what it was like but I might buy it from there someday, thanks loads!

Hi Sega, it's worth a look alright, just for the entertainment value :)

Maybe Poblachtach will lend u a copy... Joking aside, as someone said, stand in any pub in Barrack St. and they'll come to you. SF has a fairly large following down 'ere with two local councillors, and a few local lads do the rounds of the pubs every week, no availability problem there.

Out of pure interest, is it not available in newsagents?

Me.

Hi Sega, it's worth a look alright, just for the entertainment value :)

Maybe Poblachtach will lend u a copy... Joking aside, as someone said, stand in any pub in Barrack St. and they'll come to you. SF has a fairly large following down 'ere with two local councillors, and a few local lads do the rounds of the pubs every week, no availability problem there.

Out of pure interest, is it not available in newsagents?

Me.

Tried Easons and a load of other places, actually one day I was in Ballincollig (God knows why) and I went into a "newsagent" and asked the one behind the counter

Me-"Do you sell An Phoblacht?"

Her-"Sorry??!!"

Me-"An Phoblacht"

Her-"What things are you looking for?"

Me-"An Phoblacht-it's a newspaper!!(duh)"

Her-"Sorry no"

So if the shop assistant has never even heard of it you best steer clear of newsagents!

You just can't get the staff these days... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

grammer not your forte :rolleyes:

county wrote:

So can you actually tell me where to get it? If not why post on this thread?

I found a copy and no...I won't be buying it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

county wrote:

Punctuation and capitalisation not one of yours? :rolleyes:

The city library usually holds one for the public to read in the reference section if anyone is interested.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, it's not worth the effort reading. Though, to be fair, I'd place the same label on the Examiner ;)

nesf wrote:
    The city library usually holds one for the public to read in the reference section if anyone is interested.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, it's not worth the effort reading. Though, to be fair, I'd place the same label on the Examiner ;)

I have to agree with you there, more of an Irish Times man myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

segaBOY wrote:
    Ha ha yeah I just wanted to read it outta curiosity, it is even in the trashy tabloid format!! Thanks anyway

Nothing trashy about the size of a newspaper anymore. The "red-tops" will always appeal to the LCD, but you now see "quality" broadsheets in tabloid form.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

DMC wrote:
    Nothing trashy about the size of a newspaper anymore. The "red-tops" will always appeal to the LCD, but you now see "quality" broadsheets in tabloid form.

In France, the biggest selling daily quality Le Monde has always been tabloid sized and I think several other European quality papers are similar. My daily read, The Guardian is switching to an "inbetween" size soon I think.

Since The Independent went tabloid sized, I am more likely to buy it, especially if I'm commuting. As for the Irish Indo, I refuse it even when it's being handed out for free on campus!

In France, the biggest selling daily quality Le Monde has always been tabloid sized and I think several other European quality papers are similar. My daily read, The Guardian is switching to an "inbetween" size soon I think.

Since The Independent went tabloid sized, I am more likely to buy it, especially if I'm commuting. As for the Irish Indo, I refuse it even when it's being handed out for free on campus!

Le Monde isn't tabloid sized. I was reading about this recently when filing away old articles in the library. It's called a Berliner format . It's bigger than a tabloid, but still a lot smaller than a broadsheet.

Edit: Apparently the Guardian is switching to the Berliner format this September. That could be interesting. Tabloid vs Berliner for "broadsheets".

I remember it because there was a debate over the tabloid size versus Le Monde's format. It was quite interesting actually. Well, for me anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

nesf wrote:
    Punctuation and capitalisation not one of yours? :rolleyes:

Neither is spelling!! It's actually "grammar".

Advertisement