Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-Up to Broadband - can I keep my email address?

• 04-08-2005 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting BT BB next week after suffering on Indigo dial-up the past few years.
    I've just got my yearly bill for €156 for their "account services" on top of the internet call charges.
    Obviously, I'm no longer going to pay this.
    However, I did use a name@indigo.ie POP3 email account address.
    Can I still use this email address or is this now banished as I no longer am an indigo (eircom) dialup user? I think I read somewhere about email forwarding?

It's not much of a big deal as I will probably be using web-based emails... but just wondering in case a few old contacts send to my old @indigo address.

Thanks for any info / similar experiences

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I still have my @eircom.net email addresses even though I left them. So you shouldnt have a problem. You would probably have to change some settings so that the mail goes through BT and doesnt try to send itself by indigo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

just change your mail server addy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

correct, you can still receive mail via your client, however you will need to change the outgoing 'smtp' server from the indigo/eircom one to the BT one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I would say don't depend on it though. Eircom could clean up their old accounts some day and you would lose your mailbox. Get another e-mail (gmail is great because of the free POP3) and configure your email client to check and receive e-mail from your old mailbox, but change your outgoing server to either that of gmail or your new ISP (if they offer e-mail). All fairly straightforward in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Advertisement