Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF2 newbie tips

Options
  • 04-08-2005 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I got BF2 last week, so I'm still very much the newbie with it. Anyone got any tips for those of us just starting out with the game?
    Commander mode is still very much a mystery to me, but as far as I can tell I probably won't get the chance to be commander for ages anyway as I am so lowly ranked.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Stephen wrote:
    I got BF2 last week, so I'm still very much the newbie with it. Anyone got any tips for those of us just starting out with the game?
    Commander mode is still very much a mystery to me, but as far as I can tell I probably won't get the chance to be commander for ages anyway as I am so lowly ranked.

Cheers.

Try out commander mode in singleplayer or go onto a server where the people dont act like children and keep starting a mutiny vote against the commander every 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its okay minch commander is dead easy.
    treat it like you would a RTS(except your soldiers dont go where you tell them) game and you have it, you can zome in and watch the game realtime from overhead. i played commander for a full round on tuesday, without getting voted off.

when someone calls for help, select another squad and move them there
    when someone calls for supplies drop a crate if its in a useful position and if you have a number of units going there or an assault underway, the only exceptions to this are
    dropping crates beside your destroyable stuff like artillery, uav and scanner.
    dropping crates to restock a spec ops who is in the process of destroying enemy assets.
    enemies can use the crates too.....

use the scanner to spot a good location for a uav, if you see a large concentration of red dots heading towards one of your flags hit it with an artillery and order your men out of the area.
    (i got a beaut last night with about 10 kills)

artillery is best used defensivly as i just said, the only problem is most of your team are morons. (ill post more stuff later)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Stephen wrote:

Cheers.

Anyone who team kills you punish without hesitation even if it was your fault then you will fit right in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

d22ontour wrote:
    Anyone who team kills you punish without hesitation even if it was your fault then you will fit right in. :D
    Dont tell him that, i got enough TK punishes atm :p
    btw, WATCH OUT FOR MINES, BIG RED SKULL & CROSSBONES = DEADLY
    Might be a claymore, C4 or AT Mine. But dont get too close when lookin or boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

d22ontour wrote:

*loads shotgun*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Brilliant! :D Must take note for when I hit the battlefield next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Excellent tips on that site... :)
    The author gets an A+ for sarcasm....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Speaking of AT mines... I got a ****load of kills with them this evening, except that half of the kills were teammate morons who repeatedly drove over them and then hit TK punish.

****heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

NOOB ;)

• Advertisement

tips for C4

vehicles
    jeeps, apcs, hummers all take 1 satchel to kill, planes/helos too i think.
    tanks and and anti air takes 2 normally.

all assets take 2 satchels, artillery, uav, sattelite

when going for a flag as special ops theres 2 ways to make sure you are safe using c4.
    1. plant C4 on all nearby vehicles as soon as you see one start to move blow the C4
    2. plant c4 at every entrance to your hidey hole, make sure you can see each entrance but are shielded from the blasts, as soon as you hear the pitter patter of tiny feet blow it.

then there is the defensive use, early on kubra damn i lay my charges on the bridge, as soon as enemy armor tries to make it across i blow it so that i take out as much of the armor as possible. depending on the bridge it takes 2 or 3 charges to blow out 1 span, but if you space the charges correctly you can take out 2.

kamikaze is also fun, when you are making your first dash int othe enemy base, strap 5 blocks of c4 onto the front of your buggy/jeep and tear your way in, ramming speed for one of the assets, bail out and run then blow it and the asset. if you have a good commander he will be dropping supplies for you, so you can get more c4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

jaggeh wrote:
    tips for C4

vehicles
    jeeps, apcs, hummers all take 1 satchel to kill, planes/helos too i think.
    tanks and and anti air takes 2 normally.

all assets take 2 satchels, artillery, uav, sattelite

UAV takes 3

R0ot wrote:
    UAV takes 3

No it just takes 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Arabel wrote:
    No it just takes 2.

I stand corrected, could have sworn it was three, maybe that was the demo,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I'd recommend installing the demo and testing all of the unlocked weapons so that when you get your first level you pick the right one - and NOT the medic lol

It's a great weapon in single fire - 5 bullet burst, ONLY when you're prone. If standing or running you wouldn't hit a wall if it surrounded you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

eh? all the weapons are unlocked in the demo?? missed that. is it in single or multi player mode?

What's a great weapon? How do you unlock them anyway? I'm currently a private first class, and getting fairly close to lance corporal.

When you get to lance corporal you will be allowed pick a weapon.

Also there's something you can download that will make all the weapons unlocked in single player. I cant remember where I saw it though. I'll look later.

honestly id reccomend the g36c, thats the special ops unlock. its fantastic accurate at range(only uses and iron scope rather than red dot) and up close on auto its nasty.

the only other gun i would reccomend is the G3, thats support replacement i think. very very good gun.

the m95 sniper unlock is inacurate as american bombs, its only use is for killing the pilot/gunner from hovering choppers.

engineer and assault get shottys, jackhammer and dao-12, both fairly useless unless you have the gbun resting in the small of someones back.

the medic gets the l85a enfield, its a variant of the sa80. it sucks donkey balls.

your first unlock comes at 1000, second at 10500.

Hmm... The support gun might be an idea, cos the default support machine gun is ****ing crap. Lying prone and using iron sights and it can still barely hit the side of a barn.
    I assume if you unlock whatever weapon, you get it every time you play that kit on any team?

• Advertisement

you start with the basic weapon as default however there is a little button that allows you to switch to the unlocked kit.

heres a useful guide i found on missiles
    Wire-Guided

Description and Usage:
    The wire guided missiles are easy to use, but you must remember that you have to be in HUD view while attempting to guide. The wire guided missile is most commonly used in APC's and in your "bazooka" or "rocket launcher" kit. After firing the missile and remaining in the hud view, simply reposition the cross hairs towards the target that you would like to hit. You should be able to manuever the your cross hairs effective to create sharp and accurate turns with the missiles.

Tip: When firing at vehicles, try to follow the general direction that you vehicle is traveling in. With minimal practice, you will be able to throw a nice curve ball to your target.

Heat-Seeking

Description and Usage:
    To use these missiles properly, you must be able to follow your target or heat source. These targets are mainly aircraft such as choppers and planes. You will notice that if you position your cross hairs near your target you will get a beeping tone. Your goal is to follow the target through the air so closely that you keep your cross hairs on it constantly. If you are skilled enough, the laser guided missile will lock onto the target and the beeping tone will soon change into a steady tone. When you are ready, fire away.

Tip: In some equipped enemy vehicles, a visual as well as an audio indicator will tell them if they are indeed being targeted. Sometimes, flares will be deployed to confuse the heat seeker and you may miss your target if you fire to early. Try to remain locked onto your target for just a bit longer and then fire...you may outsmart them.

TV-Guided

Description and Usage:
    This is probably one of the most difficult missiles to use, but can be highly effective once you get it down. If you are copilot of a chopper, you not only have a high powered machine gun, but you also have the capability to fire off guided missiles. To get to the TV HUD and switch to your missile, simply right click. By doing this, you will see a gray scaled, zoomed image of the ground below as well as a set of cross hairs.

All you have to do now is to position your cross hairs in the direction of your target and fire. With the missile in flight, simply reposition your cross hairs in the direction that you need it to go and left click. By doing this, you will notice that the missile will follow the direction. You can do this multiple times to extend the missile's flight and aim right for your target. To exist the TV HUD, right click once again.

Tip: Not only can you take out enemy units with this missile, but you may want to consider using the camera on the missile as your own personal spy cam or scout by seeing what's going down on the other end of the battlefield.

Tip: It does indeed take some practice with this one. A good way to practice in single player mode is to land your chopper on a hill somewhere. Switch to the copilot's seat by hitting F2 and fire at practice targets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

jaggeh wrote:
    honestly id reccomend the g36c, thats the special ops unlock. its fantastic accurate at range(only uses and iron scope rather than red dot) and up close on auto its nasty.

the only other gun i would reccomend is the G3, thats support replacement i think. very very good gun.

the m95 sniper unlock is inacurate as american bombs, its only use is for killing the pilot/gunner from hovering choppers.

engineer and assault get shottys, jackhammer and dao-12, both fairly useless unless you have the gbun resting in the small of someones back.

the medic gets the l85a enfield, its a variant of the sa80. it sucks donkey balls.

your first unlock comes at 1000, second at 10500.

You mentioned everything but the anti-tank unlock. Might get that one on my next unlock but it does look very accurate?

Advertisement