Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity Surveyor

Options
  • 04-08-2005 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi

After several months of waiting we have finally been granted full planning permission, have the mortgage sorted, have decided on a timber frame house and appointed an engineer. Our engineer has advised us on getting a quantity surveyor to do our costings for us. everyone i've spoken to has said that they are expensive but nobody can tell me how much. what i want to know is has anyone used one, did they find it beneficial and were they very pricey. (i'm in the galway area)

Thanking you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

was talking to a QS up north, he pays new quantity surveyors about 55000 euro a year so persumably u are looking at 100-150 euro an hour+ certainly as he would want to make the same again and also cover down time, overheads etc

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

thanks for that lomb

no problem, i dont think it should take many hours to tot up the breakdown cost of each stage. so what percentage for a foundation, walls, electrical as they are done.
    actually if u have a reputable builder it wont really matter if u pay him too much for each stage asssuming u know he wont do a runner.

i cant really see what else ud need a QS for to be honest. really it is the builders problem to tot all that up when he tenders it and bids on the job.

dont waste more than a few hundred like 500 hiring a QS, to be honest it wont make any difference to the final result. a QS is handy for self build projects as then he can account for everything as u go along if u are going self build def hire one, money well spent, if not forget it, thats my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

our intention is to build a timber frame and then get a friend to do the concrete block, as for roofing, tiling, electrics, plumbing, fixtures of any description we are kind of lost on how much things should cost. i'd hate to start the build and run out of money because we went overboard in areas where we could have saved. our engineer knows our budget and said it might be worthwhile to see if it would be cheaper to do a concrete build which is where a QS would come in. we also have a lot of glass in the house so its more of an idea of how much is too much to pay for certain things.

elliebn wrote:
    our intention is to build a timber frame and then get a friend to do the concrete block, as for roofing, tiling, electrics, plumbing, fixtures of any description we are kind of lost on how much things should cost. i'd hate to start the build and run out of money because we went overboard in areas where we could have saved. our engineer knows our budget and said it might be worthwhile to see if it would be cheaper to do a concrete build which is where a QS would come in. we also have a lot of glass in the house so its more of an idea of how much is too much to pay for certain things.

yes a QS is an excellent idea for that, good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement