Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanding Floors

• 04-08-2005 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi folks,

Any idea of a rough price per meter to hire someone to sand and varnish a floor?

Is it worth doing it myself or is it a mare of a job best left to the "pros"

Any tips on what I should be asking someone to quote for?

Regards,

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

It would work out a hell of alot cheaper if you were to do it yourself, you can hire out a sander and buy the varnish for under €200. I recommend using Ronseal Diamond Coat it is more expensive but it lasts a lot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Totally agree. Mick, don't underestimate yourself. Do it on your own and save yourself a good chunk of dosh. It isn't hard. Before you start, come back here and get all the advice you'll need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭positron

I did it the week before last - it was not half as hard as I thought it would be – you would need a hand to get the sanding machine to your car and up the stairs to first floor etc – its quite heavy – but sanding itself is quite easy, just hold it in a correct line, and sure its dusty, but nothing serious – just a mask and close the door and seal your wardrobes etc with a masking tape and you are sorted – again varnishing is easy, but I had problems with it, like lips burning and cracking etc – overall, it cost me about 250 euros and a few days to do all four bedrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can do it yourself, but its not much fun.
    if its a new floor you need to make sure all the nail heads are properly hammered down as they will shred the sanding belt if they are protruding.

you will probably need to go over each floor several times with finer sandpaper each time and you'll need an edging sander to do the edges. You'll then probably need to put down 2 or three coats of varnish.

so, to sum up. it's dirty. it's noisy. it's slow. but it is do-able and is probably a lot cheaper to do yourself than get someone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 quattfa3

Thanks for the advice, the money saving is huge and the pitfalls seem to be lowish. I'll have a go at it.

Regards,

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Was gonna do it myself but I have 5 bedrooms to do

The time to do the floor 3/4 days by myself (preparing the floor, Sanding, (stain Varnish several times)
    Hire the sanders Big + edge
    Buy the stain and something to put it down with..
    Buy the varnish and something to put it down with..
    cleaning up

I got athboy flooring in. Did everything in a day! 4 guys... 900 Euros... No mess no damage to the fitted stuff or boards...

I got 3 days with my kids (sometimes you just have to weigh up your options)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 limited seven

Got athboy flooring to refinish two oak floors based on recomendations on boards. Well worth it, did the sanding myself on other floors, a long messy job, this guy got the job done in one day with no mess.

Advertisement