Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shed with a high roof

Options
  • 04-08-2005 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at sheds at the moment. I'm after a metal shed of about 10 ft by 10 ft. One "special" feature I'm looking for is a high roof. The shed would need to be 8 feet high inside with a flat or lightly sloped roof.

Most sheds seem to be quite a bit lower than this

Anyone know of such a thing available reasonably cheaply? Either pre fab/self assembly or else custom built and installed by a garden shed builder. What sort of money would I be looking at?

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does it have to be metal? I actually got a wooden one custom built by someone I know in the end, but during my enquiries Abwood (www.abwood.ie) were quite prepared to take one of their standard sheds and raise the roof above the standard height. They were also flexible with regard to number of / placement of windows and doors, interior partitions, cladding, roof type etc. Very helpful. Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I have a metal one that is around 7 feet in the middle but only around 6 at the edges. Its one of those ones you get in the Argos.

I've seen ones that look bigger - not sure where you'd get one.

Whatever you do, stick with the metal ones. Harder to put up, but will last much much longer than the wooden ones.

Whatever you do, stick with the metal ones. Harder to put up, but will last much much longer than the wooden ones.
    I think that very much depends on how well it was built, and the materials used. Many budget wooden sheds are made with plain untreated rough sawn timber. My custom-made shed/workshop's outside is clad in 22mm pressure treated shiplapped timber with 3 coats of wood preservative and I fully expect it to be around for a good few years yet, and last as long as any metal shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I suppose it doesn't have to be metal. The wood rotting is not a worry as I'm not thinking for the long term. The abwood stuff looks quite good, thanks for the link.

One question though - do the wooden sheds have a floor? The metal sheds don't seem to and comprise of a roof and 4 walls which are set down on paving slabs or concrete. This suits me as I want to set a heavy metal frame into the ground inside the shed. The idea is that I set the frame into the ground and then enclose it by building the shed around it.

The commercially available wooden sheds usually do have floors, yes. The floors are on battens, so I suppose you could have the battens but not the floor itself if that would help. Give Abwood a ring, they'll easily be able to tell you whether it's possible to build directly onto a concrete base or not.

As I said, mine was custom built directly onto a poured concrete base.

• Advertisement
Advertisement