Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this allowed for LC?

Options
  • 05-08-2005 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Has anyone from this years LC done an exam which was not taught to you in your school. As in your learned the material from the subject yourself.

Can you do this in the LC?
    For eg. I wish to do German for LC in 2007 but only French is taught in my school(I will still be doing this also)... What I am asking really is - Is it allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I changed schools after 4th year/before 5th year into a school that didnt do German, but did German anyway. It's the same as if it were any other subject just that you are in a room on your own and someone is sent in to do the oral just for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yep it's allowed. Your school will probably give you a form to fill in in 5th year saying what subjects you're doing and at what level, then you get the official form in sixth year and fill it in, give it back to the school and send it off, hey presto you're registered for the exam. It's hard work squeezing an extra subject in but definitely possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

yes you can, you organise evening/night classes for the subject you want to do(german in your case), and you can drop out of french with the schools permission...afew detailed conditions i left out but that is the jist of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

yes you can, you organise evening/night classes for the subject you want to do(german in your case), and you can drop out of french with the schools permission...afew detailed conditions i left out but that is the jist of it!
    That part sounds interesting :D ...but, I'd still rather try both for the moment and see how I do. I'm one of the best in French at the moment(according to teacher) but according to me I can speak more German :eek: ...So im sure I will be on LC level when the time comes(hopefully). My trips to Germany should help also. :) ...
    Thanks for the help everyone.

ye you should keep both languages, it would be really handy in the future....i just did my leaving and did french and irish but they didnt do spanish so ive started learning it myself!! A tip would be start going over your german now(just a wee bit) so you are prepared and look really smart when you start your classes!!

• Advertisement

yes, good game plan. I said I'll do it when I finished exams in June and I've actually learned A LOT of German in a month. It got me by in situations in Germany this year. But I havent really applied myself as much as I could have. I will try though. When I go back to school and im in that 'academic' mode and not the lazy one im in now I'll really apply myself to all subjects and German. I'll make a lesson plan that I can stick to before I go back. Just be prepared as much as possible.

Thanks again.

Karl

no problem, good luck!!

chilly

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Yeah it should be allowed, loads of people take obscure subjects like Applied Maths outside of school because their schools don't offer it, so taking German should be no problem. In fact, I just remembered that someone I knew took Spanish outside of school - so yeah it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

i did economics this year on my own and it was ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Yep, I did Japanese in my year and it was grand. They'll ask you if you've been doing it for two years like the LC requires, just say yeah.

But if you're planning to do German, STUDY THE SYLLABUS. Having good regular German will really only get you past the oral exam, the written exam's very topical.

• Advertisement

Yea I plan to get the course book as soon as possible.

Advertisement