Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did paganism survive 'underground'?

Options
  • 05-08-2005 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm curious as to whether paganism in the likes of Ireland, Britain and the Nordic countries survived 'underground' as it were through all the centuries when Christianity was dominant. In other words, was paganism passed from generation to generation in certain families, or was it the case that paganism essentially disappeared only to be revived in more recent years?

I would assume that a pagan in 1950's Ireland for example or certainly in the 19th century would have kept quiet about their beliefs? This is a question which intrigues me. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance. Sorry if this seems an ignorant question but I don't know very much about paganism.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

I wouldn't be well placed to answer that, but I would say yes, As far as I'm concerned there is a lot of pagan influence in Gothic architecture and there definately seems to have be a fascination with the occult in Victorian times.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

One thing you have to realise is that in Ireland anyway, the Catholics were still quite pagan in their practises. Huge amounts of lore in terms of folk beliefs relating to the Sidhe as well as magic were retained under a paper thin veneer of Irish Catholicism. Those who practised their folk beliefs, and still do in more rural areas, would does so with the knowledge that they are practising Catholics and would be highly offended if you suggested there was anything pagan about any of their practises.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

NeilJ wrote:
    One thing you have to realise is that in Ireland anyway, the Catholics were still quite pagan in their practises. Huge amounts of lore in terms of folk beliefs relating to the Sidhe as well as magic were retained under a paper thin veneer of Irish Catholicism.

Good point. Samhain / Halloween surviving as a tradition, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are many many tradtions and ways and tales the survived.
    In many cases the old gods took a step back is all or took on new names.
    There is Good reason that 'Mary' and St Bridget are held in such a place and
    worshiped here.
    The act of lighting a candle for pray, of blessed water from a well, of offerings
    of flowers are all pre christain tradiations.
    Such things were never questions for they just were.
    I would suggest you do some reading into folklore and see.

Some things were very open and public and everyone knew of them and did them.
    Other things were not, and were kept quiet and safe with people refusing to talk bout it and saying 'Speak not of such things they frighten me'.

Advertisement