Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Cap

• 05-08-2005 2:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question in relation to the Eircom Starter Cap.
    Is this being enforced at 8Gb or is it only a guideline ?
    I know that Eircom werent charging before if you went over the cap but what is the current scenario ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

if you go over eircom will downgrade your line for a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

its not really enforced.. if u are a long term eircom user they dont enfore it really cos they dont want to loose customers esspecially seenin as they are not the only interent providers now.. end note, they dont.. but how much over would u be tlaking abou now?

weeder wrote:
    ah thats what they do? oh makes sense, cos like i noticed mine was down.. ages ago tho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Shrimp.
    Its been said before.
    Many times.
    Text-speak makes baby jesus cry.
    And makes you look like an incompetent 16 year old.
    oh...wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

weeder wrote:

Any Proof??

This is the first I've heard of such downngrades....and if any were imposed wouldnt it be more sensible to just downgrade your connection for the remainder of the month you went over the CAP rather than penalise you for the following month???

Had eircoms trial 10months ago for October/November/December and went over their CAP each month...but my speed/connection wasnt modified in any way.
    Have been with BT since February and have gone over the CAP on a couple of months without any adverse side effects.

Until you can provide proof of that statement please dont start spreading unfound rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

but how much over would u be tlaking abou now?
    I've been with Eircom 9 months, and never went over the limit until last month where I downloaded 9.5GB ,which isnt too much more.
    However this month I may download up to 15-20GB.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Shrimp.
    Its been said before.
    Many times.
    Text-speak makes baby jesus cry.
    And makes you look like an incompetent 16 year old.
    oh...wait...

Em, What?

So what if it's been said before, Just Becasue it's been mentioned on this site it doesn't mean I should know it, also, you're not giving out to the OP even though he was as uninformed as I was.

Text Speak? I bearly used it.

And what exactly am I incompetent of? 17 btw, thus making you the incompetent one for not checking.

proof you ask is by using a search button people have gone oer cap and have had their lines downgraded also more proof here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=286274

weeder wrote:
    proof you ask is by using a search button people have gone oer cap and have had their lines downgraded also more proof here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=286274

Thats certainly not proof!!!!

I have NEVER heard of eircom DSL lines being speed restricted due to going over their download limit on the previous month!!!!!

Get me real proof and I'll believe you otherwise there could be a dozen different reasons for the poor speeds in that post!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

"
    Shrimp wrote:
    Em, What?

So what if it's been said before, Just Becasue it's been mentioned on this site it doesn't mean I should know it, also, you're not giving out to the OP even though he was as uninformed as I was.

Text Speak? I bearly used it.

And what exactly am I incompetent of? 17 btw, thus making you the incompetent one for not checking.
    Why should I give out to the OP? He doesnt know the answer to a complicated-ish technical question, big deal.
    I was merely pointing out that your use of txt-spk makes you seem incompetent at english. I am well aware of your age, you seem to mention it in every second post...the irony was lost, perhaps?

Now, to drag this post back on topic.
    OP: Eircom have only really charged people who totally pulled the p1ss on the starter account. ie- large internet cafes who go over the cap by 3 or 4 times a month, and serious warez downloaders.
    However, the average guy who might go over by a couple of gigs here and there tends not to get charged.

• Advertisement

zuma wrote:
    Any Proof??

This isn't really proof, but it always happens to me. :(

and me and if you search for eircom speed poor on boards youll almost certainly find someone who rang custoner care and they gave him that reason(good few month ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

What do people be downloading to go over the cap.8 gigs seems pretty big.

Kare Bear wrote:

I can't say much due to the rules, but what can people put onto 4.7GB blank dvds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Kare Bear wrote:

You really need to get out less. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Stop with all this stupid rumour spreading, there is nothing to back up the fact that Eircom will decrease your speed for the month following a month in which you break the cap. This is a blatant lie, i break the cap by 100GB plus monthly and never EVER has my service degraded in any way. Stop with the lies it makes people worry for no reason.

WellyJ wrote:
    Stop with all this stupid rumour spreading, there is nothing to back up the fact that Eircom will decrease your speed for the month following a month in which you break the cap. This is a blatant lie, i break the cap by 100GB plus monthly and never EVER has my service degraded in any way. Stop with the lies it makes people worry for no reason.

Exactly!

I was going to use WellyJ as an example!!!

If anyone deserves to be "clamped"....WellyJ must be a prime candidate!!!

As I said before the poor service could be due to a dozen different factors...least of which is breaking the download CAP on the previous month!!!

i break the cap by 100GB plus monthly
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Those twisted pair copper wires must be overheating . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I usually double the cap to like 30GB+ every month. I don't pay attention to limits. Nothing ever happens. I'd dump eircom in two seconds if it charged extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    "
    Why should I give out to the OP? He doesnt know the answer to a complicated-ish technical question, big deal.
    I was merely pointing out that your use of txt-spk makes you seem incompetent at english. I am well aware of your age, you seem to mention it in every second post...the irony was lost, perhaps?

Now, to drag this post back on topic.
    OP: Eircom have only really charged people who totally pulled the p1ss on the starter account. ie- large internet cafes who go over the cap by 3 or 4 times a month, and serious warez downloaders.
    However, the average guy who might go over by a couple of gigs here and there tends not to get charged.

hmmm....maybe fuzzy should put some of that beautiful dry wit of his/hers to a more entertaining use instead of merely pointing out his/her problems with other peoples posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭afcdave

Is there a bandwidth calculator/meter tool for Eircom that shows how much you have downloaded in relation to your cap?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Its available at http://dsl-support.eircom.net

You will need both your telephone number and eircom account number to login to the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

DingChavez wrote:
    I usually double the cap to like 30GB+ every month. I don't pay attention to limits. Nothing ever happens. I'd dump eircom in two seconds if it charged extra.

Exactly,

And with the amount of money they get from me monthly through business calls, broadband, mobile calls etc it would be a bad business decision for them to charge. I would change company immediately and in the long run they would lose out big time. I think this is the main reason they arent enforcing the cap TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭afcdave

Thanks guys thats exactly what I was looking for.

Used 20% of my 8gb download allowance already, i wonder if they'll increase that monthly allowance anytime soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Kare Bear wrote:

You haven't doenloaded much then?

Heavy b/w usage comes from several uses of net services:
    -File sharing (the biggest)
    -Home office (connecting into work services, remote desktop-stuff, updating websites)
    -VoIP/Videoconfercing over extended periods
    -extended on-line gaming
    -malware/spyware

Regular internet & email use doesn't do much at all. 1GB/mo is probably fine for those.

afcdave wrote:
    Thanks guys thats exactly what I was looking for.

Used 20% of my 8gb download allowance already, i wonder if they'll increase that monthly allowance anytime soon....

I've probable used your monthly allowance already in the last week.
    Then again I've got 2Mbit from BT with a 24GB official CAP.

Eircom are very unlikely to change the transfer CAP anytime soon....though most people dont come close to breaking it....and those to do break it dont piss all over it.
    A small percentage of people probable hit 100GB every month(WellyJ)...but eircom/bt et all just take it on the chin as usage spikes are expected as long as they are few in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

iam on eircoms 2mb 20 gb line, i dloaded 24gb last month, havnt noticed anything.....i think this month i will testing eircom, coz i know that i will be up to 30+...

You haven't doenloaded much then?

Heavy b/w usage comes from several uses of net services:
    -File sharing (the biggest)
    -Home office (connecting into work services, remote desktop-stuff, updating websites)
    -VoIP/Videoconfercing over extended periods
    -extended on-line gaming
    -malware/spyware

Dont forget Newsgroups.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement