Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox? Is it really as secure?

Options
  • 05-08-2005 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Is firefox really that secure? \Especially with java enabled? .. I know full well it's pop up blocker can be beaten but I've also noticed when java is enabled (sun) that the Sun Java folder (c:\documents and settings\name of your comp\application data\sun\java\Devployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar) can be infected with plug ins. It will also place .tmp files and a log file in those respective folders. Some can be a pain to get rid of and they can only be comming from firefox.

It's something I've noticed since using ff with sun java...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

java doesn't work at all for me on ff but i still use it coz i love tabbed browsing so much

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

i love it for its extentions and its tabbyness

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

The problem with java is a java problem not a firefox one.
    Have you updated to the most recent versions of both these progmans - this might solve a lot of your problems. Firefox is at 1.0.6 and iirc java is at 5.0 Update 4

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

I've a recent jre (jdk1.5.0) installed and never have any spyware problems.

I've noticed the popup blocker can be cheated as well, although to be fair so can IE's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

yossarin wrote:
    I've a recent jre (jdk1.5.0) installed and never have any spyware problems.

I've noticed the popup blocker can be cheated as well, although to be fair so can IE's.

At least FireFox come out with regular updates, so feature-based problems are far more likely to be fixed on FireFox. Microsoft has updated the features on IE 6 once since it was released.

• Advertisement

ai ing wrote:
    The problem with java is a java problem not a firefox one.
    Have you updated to the most recent versions of both these progmans - this might solve a lot of your problems. Firefox is at 1.0.6 and iirc java is at 5.0 Update 4
    got both of them still doesn't work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

why be so vague - what exactly is not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

smeggle wrote:
    I've also noticed when java is enabled (sun) that the Sun Java folder (c:\documents and settings\name of your comp\application data\sun\java\Devployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar) can be infected with plug ins.
    The only malware I've found there is malware that only does damage when running against certain versions of the MS runtime.

This isn't any sort of absolute measure of security, but I was glad it was the Sun runtime that encountered that particular malware, rather than the MS one.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    why be so vague - what exactly is not working?
    sorry... well its just doesn't work... where a java applet should load ts just the background of the page and stays that way for days... theres no java logo even theres absolutley no sign that the applet will load...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

steoob wrote:
    sorry... well its just doesn't work... where a java applet should load ts just the background of the page and stays that way for days... theres no java logo even theres absolutley no sign that the applet will load...

When you say "it" doesn't work, are you referrering to any and all Java applets that you have come across on the web? If so, try going to PeekaBoom (it's a class game if you can get it working :p) and see if that works for you. If not, go to Java.com and check the right column. It will tell you if you have the latest version of Java and you can test your installation there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

smeggle wrote:
    Is firefox really that secure? \Especially with java enabled? .. I know full well it's pop up blocker can be beaten but I've also noticed when java is enabled (sun) that the Sun Java folder (c:\documents and settings\name of your comp\application data\sun\java\Devployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar) can be infected with plug ins. It will also place .tmp files and a log file in those respective folders. Some can be a pain to get rid of and they can only be comming from firefox.

It's something I've noticed since using ff with sun java...

Sorry, what? Your computer isn't being "infected" with anything. Java is storing applets to speed up loading them. If you like, you can disable this behaviour. But what harm do you think these applets are doing to you?

Serbian wrote:
    When you say "it" doesn't work, are you referrering to any and all Java applets that you have come across on the web? If so, try going to PeekaBoom (it's a class game if you can get it working :p) and see if that works for you. If not, go to Java.com and check the right column. It will tell you if you have the latest version of Java and you can test your installation there too.
    nope doesn' t work... and i have the latsest version of java installed for firefox so i dunno whats goin on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Steoob wrote:
    nope doesn' t work... and i have the latsest version of java installed for firefox so i dunno whats goin on...
    screenshot plz.

also have you tried www.maxthon.com using it now and find firefox / this much of a muchness i dont care which opens up (i have firefox as the default)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

rsynnott wrote:
    Sorry, what? Your computer isn't being "infected" with anything. Java is storing applets to speed up loading them. If you like, you can disable this behaviour. But what harm do you think these applets are doing to you?
    In fairness to him i do get non viral threats found in the plugin folders from time to time using Norton 2005. I usually tell norton to feck off and leave me alone re these.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

I know this is very obvious, but I just thought I'd mention it. (i.e. mainly for the people who want to get moz/firefox working with java)

Just having Firefox and Java installed doesn't mean they know if each other's existence. In the directory that contains the JRE there's a directory called plugins, and a list of browsers that it works in... like ns600 (for netscape 6.0) and inside there are the libraries/plugins that firefox wants. Drop them (i.e. copy them - or if you're using linux, symlink them) into the plugins directory for firefox (or for your firefox profile) and then try the various applets. They should work then.

P.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

In fairness to him i do get non viral threats found in the plugin folders from time to time using Norton 2005. I usually tell norton to feck off and leave me alone re these.

The IE plugin directory maybe. If you mean the Java cache directory, which is what he's talking about, then any examples? Sounds like fantasy paranoia to me...

I know this is very obvious, but I just thought I'd mention it. (i.e. mainly for the people who want to get moz/firefox working with java)

Just having Firefox and Java installed doesn't mean they know if each other's existence. In the directory that contains the JRE there's a directory called plugins, and a list of browsers that it works in... like ns600 (for netscape 6.0) and inside there are the libraries/plugins that firefox wants. Drop them (i.e. copy them - or if you're using linux, symlink them) into the plugins directory for firefox (or for your firefox profile) and then try the various applets. They should work then.

P.B.
    seems like it might work guide me through it will u? pleez :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Steoob wrote:
    seems like it might work guide me through it will u? pleez :)

Note: The simpler solution is just at the bottom. Do it the long way if you want to get a rough idea of how things work... or if the short answer doesn't work.

Ok, find out what folder Java lives in (for the purposes of this, let's call it c:\java - it's probably j2jre_5.0r4 or something like that. Just for reference c:\java is shorthand for open My Computer, then Open the C: drive, then open the java folder) and find out what folder firefox lives in (let's just say c:\firefox)

So, you want firefox to be able to run Java applets, so firefox needs to know how to run java.

in c:\java\ browse through for a folder called plugin (it might be in c:\java\jre\plugin or just c:\java\plugin)

now - in there there's a number folders in that plugin folder. this next bit is guesswork as I'm using linux, and can't read my windows partition... but in there there's going to be folders like ns60 meaning NetScape version 6.0 - Netscape and mozilla/ firefox are pretty much the same as far as plugins are concerned so if there isn't a folder marked moz17 or something go for the ns folder with the highest number after it. So once you're in that folder, set explorer (or whatever file browser you're using) to view all files. Select those files (drag a box around them with your mouse) and go to edit and select copy. Then go to where firefox lives - and in there there's a folder called plugins. Go into that folder, and go to the edit menu and select "paste" - restart firefox.

Then try it out.

Otherwise just go to mozilla.org and browse the plugins and get the java plugin and restart firefox. That's probably simpler.

P.B.

Note: The simpler solution is just at the bottom. Do it the long way if you want to get a rough idea of how things work... or if the short answer doesn't work.

Ok, find out what folder Java lives in (for the purposes of this, let's call it c:\java - it's probably j2jre_5.0r4 or something like that. Just for reference c:\java is shorthand for open My Computer, then Open the C: drive, then open the java folder) and find out what folder firefox lives in (let's just say c:\firefox)

So, you want firefox to be able to run Java applets, so firefox needs to know how to run java.

in c:\java\ browse through for a folder called plugin (it might be in c:\java\jre\plugin or just c:\java\plugin)

now - in there there's a number folders in that plugin folder. this next bit is guesswork as I'm using linux, and can't read my windows partition... but in there there's going to be folders like ns60 meaning NetScape version 6.0 - Netscape and mozilla/ firefox are pretty much the same as far as plugins are concerned so if there isn't a folder marked moz17 or something go for the ns folder with the highest number after it. So once you're in that folder, set explorer (or whatever file browser you're using) to view all files. Select those files (drag a box around them with your mouse) and go to edit and select copy. Then go to where firefox lives - and in there there's a folder called plugins. Go into that folder, and go to the edit menu and select "paste" - restart firefox.

Then try it out.

Otherwise just go to mozilla.org and browse the plugins and get the java plugin and restart firefox. That's probably simpler.

P.B.
    thanks for that i dunno if it works yet tho coz my house is exploding overloading so i have to use a laptop til i get it fixed i'll let you know tho :)

Advertisement