Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Episode IV - A New IBB Hope.

• 05-08-2005 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

This is the day! Today is the last day that I was prepared to put up with the terrible service and dreadful connection speeds. It went to the wire really, but yesterday they waved the magic wand and restored excellent connection speeds for me and apolagised for the lack of call backs etc etc. I didn't think they'd do it and I actually had ordered my eircom line in preperation to move to EsatBT.

It does not excuse that it's been 4 weeks of hell, with almost a full 5 hours on hold over the duration, 14 unanswered e-mails and me telling 'my story' to 7 IBB reps. But today my issue is fixed and for those still suffering I offer this advice.

E-mail support@irishbroadband.ie to get a case opened. You'll get an autoresponse, every day until it's fixed reply including the ticket number and explain that the issue is not fixed. This gives you a full trail to trace back if needed. Phone every day, which is not always possible but it's the best way. Take down the full name of each person you deal with and add it to the email the following day.

I've added my before and after shots. Note that my up/down speeds went as low as 17kb/14kb and varied up to 45Kb/32kb over the course of 4 weeks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Good work soldier :)

Welcome back to the ranks of those with a working IBB connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

do you know what they did to fix your connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

madrab wrote:
    do you know what they did to fix your connection?

Madrab,
    You obviously didn't read the initial post to well.....

.....yesterday they waved the magic wand and restored excellent connection speeds for me.

All hail the power of the IBB magic wand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They've proberly screwed over some other poor bastard to fix your connection :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They did the same to me when I threatened to go back to my modem with "48:1" contention. But 1 week later it was back to ****e again. Many people here have reported the same. They flick some switch to "humour" you.

However I did get this mail from them yesterday:
    Dear Sir,

We are aware of connection issue on this site and have a plan in place to have this upgraded this week weather permitting. This should sort your connection issues leading to a quicker connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm another lucky customer

My connection was restored yesterday the full 2mb up/down low pings etc etc.

Someone was busy with that wand yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

At least you have a choice of ISP. Here in the broadband desert that is Donegal we are stuck with either Satellite or, in the East of the County, IBB through their Northern subsidiary.

In relation to our ongoing battles with IBB we spent half a morning about two weeks ago talking to some guy called Tristan. As a result we sent him an enormous email with screenshots, which was like the proverbial vomitting into a bottomless black pit. Then this afternoon we received a call from IBB that our problem had been "escalated up the chain" and that the said Tristan is leaving them today!

If they escalate our problem even more surely it will erupt into the MD's lap one of these days!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

JackieChan wrote:
    Madrab,
    You obviously didn't read the initial post to well.....

.....yesterday they waved the magic wand and restored excellent connection speeds for me.

All hail the power of the IBB magic wand

:D

they never point their wand in my direction

but i did get a responce from my complaint letter yesterday
    Your complaint has been received. As it is quite extensive and detailed, it will take us some time to review and speak to all the people who had been involved in the various comments you detailed.

We expect to revert back to you latest on Monday the 8th with a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

hshortt wrote:
    It does not excuse that it's been 4 weeks of hell, with almost a full 5 hours on hold over the duration, 14 unanswered e-mails and me telling 'my story' to 7 IBB reps.

Count yourself lucky. I went through 7 or 8 MONTHS of this so called Hell. I didn't really have a choice but stick with them. In the end I left them a week or two ago and have to know suffer lower speeds from other suppliers. Having said that, the other suppliers have slower on paper, but in reality are much quicker and more consistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

To quote the engineer.

"I made a few changes that boosted the signal strength on the radio and also had the help of 2nd line support in doing this."

So be it the magic wand, hand of god, flick of a switch or genuine honest fault finding/resolution I don't know. But I'm thankful to have gotten fixed. I've have good service all day today with small decrease in uploads since early evening, but that's acceptable.

Feels like a real weight off my shoulders, I love technology really but damn it to hell when it doesn't work right.

Cheers
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

what i do is look in the delivery receipt in outlook and pull the email addresses out directly and mail the entire group (20 ish between the support && info addresses) directly into their inboxes (just incase they redirect the emails into a folder) and seems to start some cogs turning (evil i know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ciaranfo wrote:
    They've proberly screwed over some other poor bastard to fix your connection :(

How is the Ballycoolin mast? any improvements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Drapper wrote:
    How is the Ballycoolin mast? any improvements?

just tried the speed test and i got 143 kbps down , 655 kpbs up , qos 10% , round trip 5869ms and max pause 1640ms :mad:

tried some tracerts and ballycoolin is ok enough , it's just after is leaves there it goes to sh*t

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt.MATTY>tracert www.jolt.co.uk

Tracing route to www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.168.192
    2 22 ms 49 ms 17 ms DN40-ballycoolin-lo0.irishbroadband.ie [83.141.69.129]
    3 175 ms 211 ms 659 ms 83.141.117.18
    4 147 ms 146 ms 175 ms 83.141.117.17
    5 23 ms 16 ms 13 ms DN42-as0-0-ibis-access.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.52.153]
    6 860 ms 12 ms 24 ms 83.141.117.45
    7 963 ms 21 ms * lvl3gw.thn.packetexchange.net [212.187.197.193]
    8 938 ms 33 ms 28 ms lon1-9.nildram.net [195.66.224.59]
    9 892 ms 31 ms 23 ms jolt-gw.nildram.net [195.149.20.126]
    10 38 ms 35 ms * 82.133.85.65
    11 * 23 ms 23 ms 82.133.85.65

Trace complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

First hop looks fine! The congestion seems to be on the radio from ballyc to tallaght!in a word OVERsubscribed!

Advertisement