Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 not until 2007?

Options
  • 05-08-2005 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Just saw this article (via slashdot). There may be a chance the PS3 won't be out until 2007, depending on how successful the 360 is.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050804-5170.html

Granted this is only conjecture but it makes a certain amount of sense. They are already beaten to a first release anyway, so they could possibly hold off until xmas 2006 which would allow developers to get to grips with the new platform and build up a good stock of games.

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

by my wise "prognoses" ;)

I think it won't be released until 8, or atleast be available, or be worth buying

1. doesn't Japan get it in 2006/2007?
    2. then the US
    3. Europe is always the last
    4. the first series usually come with bugs, PS2? it will be a year before they fix that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Pure speculation...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hmmm i'm not sure giving microsoft another 6 months head start isa good idea. I think most people would be willing to wait 6 months or so for the ps3 but a year? Not a chance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

well bollocks to that cos halo 3 is realeased to co-incide with the release of the ps3 and i want halo 3 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

By then PC technology will have probably have caught up with the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Shanery

lol?

Lord Oz wrote:
    By then PC technology will have probably have caught up with the PS3.

n ........................... no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PC technology would have to be behind before it has to catch up ;)

If you look at the next gen specs pc tech is behind ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

BloodBath wrote:

away outta that ya eejit. think about it a pc that is built and speced out even to half of what it is capable of destoys the next gens. battlefield 2 is out now and runs on a decent PC, never mind this waiting for the 360, same with Farcry instincts. Gaming PC's will always out preform consoles.

• Advertisement

Current PC tech might be behind but by the time we see PS3 we will have the next batch of graphics cards and processors out which will over power the next gen consoles.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

This is degenerating into a "pc is better than console argument". Hateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

2007? nuts to that. I'm not waiting that long for a new console.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

BloodBath wrote:
    Hmmm i'm not sure giving microsoft another 6 months head start isa good idea. I think most people would be willing to wait 6 months or so for the ps3 but a year? Not a chance.

my thought exactly.
    The idea that Sony could make the ps2 attractive enough to realistically challenge a next gen machine is silly. If and when the ps2 drops below €100 it will be the signal that almost all development has shifted to the ps3 and that the ps2 is now a has-been. Just like with the PSone, a cheaper ps2 will only attract people with very young children who don't want to splash out hundreds on something their 5 year old wont appreciate.
    Many will buy the 360 at launch, but others will wait until spring '06 to make a more informed decision, if they're told to wait another 6 months they'll just go with the 360 and worry about the others when they finally come out.
    Besides, isn't it becoming more and more obvious that the new releases for this generation are shrinking by the day, mainly because development is shifting to next gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

ill still prrobably end up getting both of em, so i dont mind a wait between xbox and ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

easily possible with europe as for america and japan though the ps3 will be out way earlier there

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

It can't be behind cause its not out yet. :)

away outta that ya eejit. think about it a pc that is built and speced out even to half of what it is capable of destoys the next gens. battlefield 2 is out now and runs on a decent PC, never mind this waiting for the 360, same with Farcry instincts. Gaming PC's will always out preform consoles.
    '

Um have you seen any of the demos or looked at any of the specs? I know they aren't out yet and pc tech will probably be on par by the time it comes out. When pc's have cell or 3 core processors i'll agree with you, until then get a clue before calling someone en eejit.

Any of the demos I have seen would be possible on top of the line current PCs and alot of the games are coming out on the PC as well as next gen e.g. Gears of War, COD 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

A top of the line PC that could run those demos would cost 6 or 7 times the price of the xbox 360....

And this article is still pure speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

If this is the case, people who weren't planning on getting an xbox 360 may buy one to fill the waiting gap. I'm strongly thinking of getting one (xbox) now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

TimAy wrote:
    If this is the case, people who weren't planning on getting an xbox 360 may buy one to fill the waiting gap.
    The article speculates that Sony will hold back only if the 360 doesn't take off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

MrPinK wrote:
    The article speculates that Sony will hold back only if the 360 doesn't take off.

but one of the factors that will damage xbox sales is the market that will wait for the ps3 before making a decision, but putting off their launch Sony will almost certainly help 360 sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

flogen wrote:
    but putting off their launch Sony will almost certainly help 360 sales.
    But not by a significant amount. They'll sit on the release only if it's beneficial to them. If the 360 sales do start to pick up then they can move the release forward again. They'll dangle the carrot in front only as far as they can get away with.

I don't care how much they delay it, I just hope they will redisign a "grill" they call ps3 and it's controller too

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

They'd better change the spiderman font too.

lol yea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

CyberGhost wrote:
    I don't care how much they delay it, I just hope they will redisign a "grill" they call ps3 and it's controller too
    i dont really see a problem in wat the console looks like aslong as it plays well :rolleyes:
    but the controller does need to b comfortable and fit in your hands well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

The ps3 will be the same as the ps2 gamewise rehash after rehash example Tekken 6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I really have to say what a load of cockwash that is. The PS3 is on schedule for release in Spring 06 for Japan/Far east. WE may not get it until 2007 due to marketing/production lies (to drive the price up and create a parting of the sea style frenzy). I mean <smug face> come on, will Sony really give XboX 360 a full year and a half of free market on these shores? NO

Advertisement