Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 not until 2007?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The ps3 will be the same as the ps2 gamewise rehash after rehash example Tekken 6

The same could be said of any format. There are plenty of original titles in the pipeline as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

The PS3 will be out in 2006....I know this for a fact (unless Sony know something my sources who work for them don't).

If you don't believe me, care to place any bets?

Please...I've just spent all my money and need more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

BloodBath wrote:
    '
    When pc's have cell or 3 core processors i'll agree with you, until then get a clue before calling someone en eejit.

Eh believe it or not im sitting in the office loading up a brand new line of Pc's with 3core processors!!!

Also Intel are due to launch the multi core pentium in the new few weeks to the general public... so you may want to rephrase that comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What speed are the 3 cores? I don't need to rephrase it anyway. I said i'd agree with him when it is avialable to the general public. When they are released they will probably cost more than the 360 and ps3 combined.

They will trust me. These are running at 3.5 ghz a piece. The thing is there is nothing available to run on them yet, as in you can't simply throw windows xp on and let rip!!!

We are a software house so all we have is our s/w running on them at the minute. So pretty much all this, it will run at twice the speed of this or PS3 and XBOX bashing each other with benchmark tests is pure tripe. There isn't even any benchmark software available to test on this architecture so really we have no idea which one will be better if any!!!

But so far these machines cost €4,500 a piece. Now thats without tax so you can get a ball park for how much we are talking to the average joe for one of these processors when available. It ain't cheap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

PS3 will be out in EU in 2006, it had better be.

Japan will def get theirs Apr/May 06 with US Euroland 3rd 1/4 DEF before year end.

thats exaclty it iregki >u could probably buy 10 x ps3's with the same performance for 1 of your 3 core PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Where are these "DEF"'s coming from?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

iregk wrote:
    Eh believe it or not im sitting in the office loading up a brand new line of Pc's with 3core processors!!!

Also Intel are due to launch the multi core pentium in the new few weeks to the general public... so you may want to rephrase that comment...

He may have put it wrong, but for all the games industry care you could be sitting beside a modern supper computer. If it has three cores, or if it’s one of the fastest computers in the world, it doesn’t matter. Unless, it’s standard among the target audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

iregk wrote:
    The thing is there is nothing available to run on them yet, as in you can't simply throw windows xp on and let rip!!!
    What do you think 4 and 8 way processors run on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

there is no guarantee the triple core has a similar interface to the OS as a 4 way processor box...3 cores on one chip and all that....sharing resources and so on, probally does require specific OS coding

• Advertisement

4 and 8 way processors can work with current software. multi core processors are more tricky as in they are in effect (ok this is basic and leaving out lots of technical info) basically 3 processors running and using 3 completely different sets of cache and to add to it, the 3 cores are for different tasks, as in its not 3 core load bearing. its core #1 physics, core #2 general data, core #3 math sub routines (again basic and not exact info) so code does need to be written direct for these processors.

In the case of servers where they have multi cpus its a lot simpler. They are basically load bearing and sharing, i.e. you have a road with heavy traffic, stick in a dual lane instead will speed things up.

AMD and Intel have had multi core and cell processors ready to go for months now. Why haven't they been released? Because there is nothing yet ready to work on them so they is no point in releasing them. In the next couple of months you will see AMD are releasing the dual core and Intel to follow shortly.

Monument, good point and to be fair your right.

MrPink, trust me XP will not run on a multi core machine. In fact it wont even load!!! To add to that, our software designed to run on it is completely unstable, due to cache issues. That tells you how tricky it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

CyberGhost wrote:
    I don't care how much they delay it, I just hope they will redisign a "grill" they call ps3 and it's controller too

;)
    ps37oq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ps3grill.jpg

Advertisement