Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner occupier - renting out two rooms

Options
  • 05-08-2005 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi

I recently purchased a house and have decided to rent out two of the rooms.

Looking for some advice on what checks I need to do with potential housemates... what checks are normally done today? references ? etc

what is the norm with deposits..usually one month in advance?

is it advisable to have a contract written up?

any help you can provide would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

smarten31 wrote:
    Hi

Looking for some advice on what checks I need to do with potential housemates... what checks are normally done today? references ? etc

any help you can provide would be appreciated

not what you are looking for , but make sure you are aware of the tax problem with renting more than one room....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

The Revenue Rent a Room Scheme is not limited to one room. The limit is on the income received from all rents on rooms in that persons personal residency. The limit I think is €7620 per residence. Remember if the residency is jointly owned then the limit is divided between both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smarten31 wrote:
    If you go for the Rent-a-room scheme I think the rent (including ESB, food, etc.) needs to be under €7,620, otherwise everything is taxed.
    smarten31 wrote:
    Interview people by appointment. Interview them with a friend present. Get some form of reference to see they are solvent, even if its a few months bank statements showing a positive balance and regular income.

More for people that are sharing than for you, but making everyone responsible for at least one bill would be good. This may not suit you. If they want a special subscription (Sky Sports, broadband), make them pay for it themselves.
    smarten31 wrote:
    A one month security deposit and September's rent paid at the start of September (whether thats 1st September, first monday in September or whatever)
    smarten31 wrote:
    Most certainly, even if it is a short summary, its better than nothing. It sets down the ground rules. There may even be a standard form for lodgers. AFAIK you don't have to register with the PRTB www.prtb.ie but I wonder if it would be an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭smarten31

Thanks to you all :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rummy

Definitely have a contract between you and the tenants. You should also take an inventory of whats in the apartment and ensure that they are aware of the fact that all breakages have to be paid for.

In your contract you would state the fact that 1 months rent is to be paid in advance. Also how bills are to be divided and paid for.

I have requested 2 references from people and it was very enlightening by having them!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement