Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting Up for BB

• 05-08-2005 12:00pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am due to get BT BB shortly and want to make sure I have everything setup.

I have a phone line that comes thru the wall and connected to an old Eircom box (3 inch square) - with a phone line coming from that to a phone point. This where the standard phone is plugged in.

what do I need to do to prep for a wireless modem router.
    - wire a separate phone line from the small box to the router ??
    - get a double phone connector ??

small kids around so minimal wires etc

thx lads - any help would be great. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Hi Karl
    I've not got wireless BB yet, but have had UTV ADSL connection for 18 months or so. Your broadband package should include the phone socket doubler as well as one or two ADSL filters for the existing analogue telephone handset.
    From what I've seen of the routers I've looked at, you are probably going to need to have a regular AC power socket near the telephone line so the modem or router or combo job can work.
    My wired ADSL modem connects to USB port so no additional power required. Your wireless modem will be always-on, so hence the need for power. Might not be an issue if you have an answering machine already. The modem is not a big power user, so a 3-in-1 adapter will do it. Just remember this whenever someone is vacuuming your hallway and might pull the plug :( If you had a telephone socket elsewhere, that might be a better bet. For example, the master bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

[phone line in]=====[filter]==[splitter]===[ADSL Wireless hub] ~ ~ ~ ~ [Computers]

== : phone line
    ~ ~ ~ : Wifi Signal/Ethernet cable
    And dont forget that a seperate wire for the phone comes out of the splitter.
    All cables are included in the pack(unless you need really long cables for some reason)

<3 ASCII art

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

what exactly is a filter - is this something aside from the adsl splitter I have.

will I get the filter from BT with their modem package ??

if not - where will i get one.
    would this be the reason my phone is not working when put thru the plitter now with a non-dsl line ??

thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

karltimber wrote:
    will I get the filter from BT with their modem package ??

You should get one from Bt
    karltimber wrote:
    what exactly is a filter

A filter is a small, in-line device that stops your ADSL connection being disrupted by telephones connected to the same line.
    If you don't filter your telephones, then your ADSL connection will be unstable. A high-quality filter will make sure you can have a stable broadband Internet connection with no reduction in the quality of your telephone service. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

this is the package I got with the netgear modem/router. see pic

tried a few different combinations last night but still cannot get a normal telephone dial tone. (earlier part of thread - I have no dsl line as of yet)

Is there a difference with the splitter I got from Netgear ( see attached picture) and the one that BT will supply.

should I be able to get a dial tone thru either the splitter ?????? or the modem without the splitter ????

thx folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Theres really detailed info on all of this in the manual and startup guide that you get with the BB.
    It explains how the filter seperates (lets say it digitally seperates) your phone and DSL 'signals'
    The splitter, physically seperates your phone line into 2 different lines, one for your DSL modem, and one for your phone.
    The guide also explains exactly what to connect where. It may be different, depending on if you have more than 1 phone on the line, etc.

Advertisement