Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future Sound of London...

• 05-08-2005 1:22pm

...arty farty computer twiddlers or musical genius?

I go for the latter. I used to think that, in 100 years time, they will be remembered in the same category as Bach and Beethoven - looks like the upward curve in their early career came to a bit of an end around the time of the completely inaccessible 'Far Out Son of a Lung and the Ramblings of a Madman' EP. But still think 'Lifeforms' is one of the greatest albums ever - just pipped by the Simple Minds double LP mentioned in another thread. And 'Accelerator' has its moments too, like 'Central Industrial' and the legendary 'Papua New Guinea'.

Anyway, was always gushing in praise and only realised that they were treated with contempt by so many after reading Simon Reynold's 'Energy Flash', where he slams them for their sneering attitude to dance music and their arrogance. So what's your take?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

They're pretty good alright. Gotta love Accelerator and ISDN. But yes Lifeforms is amazing.

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

Aphex twin is already being looked at as a modern day composer being compared to bach etc.

Aphex Twin has sure had his moments. Anyone seen WARP dvd, featuring vids from Aphex Twin, LFO, Squarepusher etc. - some real works of art in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Ever listen to Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness & the Otherness?

appalling crap...

Anyway i like a lot FSOLs earlier stuff, but genius? That word is getting diluted by over-use... I prefer to think of genius as being exceptional and extremely extremely rare. So no i dont consider them genius. Talented and capable of some beautiful moments, oh yes.

btw i consider the music they've produced in the last 5-6 years as "arty farty computer twiddling". Suppose its a fine line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I didn't even know they were still going. I liked the stuff they were releasing about ten years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Love them musical genius definetly,have all of their albums Lifeforms being the finest,the best Ambient album ever produced :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

In 100 years time, they will be remembered in the same category as Bach

I like to think that aswell. But seriously, the way technology is progressing, they're work could be looked upon as primitive (thats if the music keeps on progressing). Can you imagine music in a 100 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Hmm found Dead cities, Androgenous Amourpheous and Life Forms in my old cassette collection. Have arecording of the live broadcast they did on 2fm in 1995 somewhere also.
    listening to the music for the first tiume in years, I tend to agree that it is -well- not actually music at all. It is something different. They described it themeselves as an organic sound collection back then and I'd tend to agree.

Listening to Life Forms. I used to visualise all sorts of mad stuff while listening to it. I'm not now. It make sme feel strange, and has got me thinking about odd things (probably as mcuh because it revives memories as because of the album itself.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Overall I love them.

Accelerator is a great album as is Lifeforms although they're very different.

Tunewise Papua New Guinea is literally one of my all time favourites.

2tel1 wrote:
    I like to think that aswell. But seriously, the way technology is progressing, they're work could be looked upon as primitive (thats if the music keeps on progressing). Can you imagine music in a 100 years...

Yeah because nobody listens to music written more than a hundred years ago :rolleyes:

I do think the twentieth century will be known for electronic music and not for rock and roll. What artists are remembered is a moot point. The fact that people were doing it is enough. I listen to electronic music from 40-50 years ago and its still as good now as it was then. In fact there's some recordings I have from the sixties that would put Aphex Twin to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

John2 wrote:
    In fact there's some recordings I have from the sixties that would put Aphex Twin to shame.

Thats a faily bold statement to be making in fairness.
    dalk wrote:
    Ever listen to Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness & the Otherness?

I have to agree with you there, i bought it about 2 months ago, literally shocked!

Thats a faily bold statement to be making in fairness.

It's true though. Granted the technology was bigger, bulkier and not as easy to work with but Richard James has freely admitted that he's an old school electronica fan and it shows in his music. People like Luc Ferrari, Tod Dockstadter, Pauline Oliveros and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop have been pushing electronic music for decades and it's acts like Aphex Twin and Squarepusher that are continuing the legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

John2 wrote:
    Yeah because nobody listens to music written more than a hundred years ago :rolleyes:

Whats your point?

Nobody said that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

came across from you that, when you said 'primitive' that the music from now wont be worth listening to in 100 years time, i read it that way. don't think that's likely!

2tel1 wrote:
    Whats your point?

Nobody said that...

That was the impression I got off your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Very talented alright... I think the first time I heard of them was from the Wipeout2097 soundtrack... I just thought "shít, these guys are good" and looked them up from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

autechre and squarepusher will go down in history as consistently pushing the envelope out in terms of mainstream electronica, but the "classical" world will be remembering the likes of stockhausen, who's stuff is so far out he makes fsol sound like a louis walsh band... dead cities is one hell of an album though.... soooo many lost afternoons listening to that years ago... dont even have a copy now :(

autechre and squarepusher will go down in history as consistently pushing the envelope out in terms of mainstream electronica

Point taken, but there is something inaccessible about some of their stuff. It may be pioneering, and that indeed is meritorious, but I dunno if it's easy on the ears at the same time. Take something like watching the video of 'Ganz Graf' - a striking piece, but kind of an assault on all the senses at the same time - I mean that in a good way of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Yes I've always liked them. Dead Cities is brilliant and relatively 'accessible' for them. Life Forms is more of a mixed bag - some very good tracks but I think it is somewhat too long.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Aphex Twin has sure had his moments. Anyone seen WARP dvd, featuring vids from Aphex Twin, LFO, Squarepusher etc. - some real works of art in there.

Got that DVD a few weeks ago, brilliant.

I love FSOL and amazingly I dont have Lifeforms. Its next on my list after being reminded of it here! Was just listening to ISDN again the other day and I love that album.

I would HIGHLY recommend Some Other People - Orbitality as a genius album. Although I dont know if it can be got anywhere now! I bought it at least 10 years ago and have never seen reference to them again.

http://www.discogs.com/release/165477

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote:
    Got that DVD a few weeks ago, brilliant.

Yep, only thing is the wife HATES it and refuses to watch it - even the music between the songs drives her from the room. So I try to put it on as often as possible... ;)

LFO's 'LFO' and 'Freak' (what a video) and the Aphex Twin's 'On' and 'Nannou' are standouts too.

This...is going...to make you freak...
    eg_levifreaklfo3.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A3101572

My wife actually likes some of it. Have to say though that the music on the menu is really annoying! I have yet to see the last few tracks on it, it always seems to be quite late at night when I put it on and also tend to have had a few drinks etc. :D

I had a tape up until about 3 years ago with endless videos recorded from MTV Dance (Party Zone?) and the Chill Out Zone. It was 4 hours long. My then g/f, now wife was dropping back a video to Chartbusters that we had rented. About a month later I found the tape we had rented those weeks before and wondered did my g/f drop back an empty case? - No, twas my prize video that was dropped back :mad: Never saw it again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

Yep, only thing is the wife HATES it and refuses to watch it - even the music between the songs drives her from the room. So I try to put it on as often as possible... ;)

LFO's 'LFO' and 'Freak' (what a video) and the Aphex Twin's 'On' and 'Nannou' are standouts too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A3101572

Any idea where I could get my hands on this my girlfriend "ordered" it 4 me- but it never turned up- shock :eek:
    heard loads about it- I'm dyin 2 get a look at it!

I got my copy in HMV, think it was Grafton St

...or it might have been Virgin in Blanch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

I'll give em a try anyway- cheers

gungo wrote:
    Any idea where I could get my hands on this my girlfriend "ordered" it 4 me- but it never turned up

Got mine at Virgin in Cork.

Felixdhc wrote:

I love FSOL and amazingly I dont have Lifeforms. Its next on my list after being reminded of it here! Was just listening to ISDN again the other day and I love that album.

Cant believe what I did yesterday re Lifeforms. Went and bought it yesterday evening and was looking at the cover in the car stuck in traffic. Thought the track listing looked very familiar and then copped that I already have it! Bought it a few months ago and pretty much forgot I had it...anyone else ever do this or is it just me? :o

Advertisement