Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scaffold

Options
  • 05-08-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I am doing a direct labour project in Galway and the time has come to look into equipement. I need to have scaffold before I commence and I am wondering should I buy this new/second hand or can you rent it? I know alot of people buy it and then resell. Any suggestions on where I could purchase it? As I haven't built before I am also wondering how much of it I need for a 2,000 square ft tf house thats 7.4 mtrs in height.
    Thanks,
    Eve
    :D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Eve1 - We bought from Connacht scaffolding between a mate and myself, well well worth it, you will need to ring them and give them the lenght & height of the building or even fax them a set of plans, tehy will work it out then, but HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Thanks Yop! Any idea on what kind of price you paid?
    Eve1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As far as I remember it was about 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just be aware that AFAIK all scaffolding erected has to be certified, ie if you rent it and erect it (while not being certified) and a tradesman has an accident you will be at fault and your insurance may not cover you.
    This may seem petty but there are many HSE inspectors that will pop onto building sites unannounced and check this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I got mine from Norscaff up the north. BUT get it erected by a professional with a current ticket who will sign it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Eve 1,

CJ is right, there could be a major conflict as to your insurance cover if the scaffolding is erected by anyone who does not carry a valid Construction Skills Certificate.

The Certificates are part of the law now and the Health and Safety officers take a very dim view of any breeches in the laws they are enpowered to police.

The amount of paperwork that is supposed to be available on every job from a major development to a small extension is enough to require a full time secretary.

Most of the inspectors are willing to overlook the paperwork so long as the laws are being obeyed.

Any accident where hospital treatment is required can have your job site looking like a scene from the television series CSI.

Take care,

Norscaff are excellent from what I hear also, they did not have what my mate was looking for immediately, but if they did we would have gone with them.

As regards the ticket, I have to agree, I have a mate who is a scaffolder, so we did the scaffolding between us, he then checked it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Thanks everyone, I am going to look into both rental and buying I think, although it might be difficult to sell the scaffolding if I buy it.
    Eve

No way have an issue selling it Eve, I used to look through the local papers and buy and sell the same ad never appeared twice, I could be mistaken but 2nd hand scaffolding is very hard to come across

Advertisement