Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend football bets

• 05-08-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

3 from the Championship to start the season

Leeds to bt. Millwall 8-11

Leeds must be the banker of the weekend to beat a Millwall side in disarray even before the season starts, Leeds have brought in some proven Championship players and should win this easily.

Derby to bt. Brighton 8-13

Derby have retained most of their better players from last season and added to that a home advantage should see them getting the better of Brighton.

Preston to bt. Watford 7-5

Watford only won 5 times at home last season and their summer signings don't look all that impressive. Preston on the other hand improved no end in the second half of last season to finish 4th and can start the season with an away win.

I'll be doing €5 trixie(3 doubles and a €5 treble) on these, I'll keep stakes low for the first weeks of the season. Even if 2 win I'll get my money back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Have to say Palace to beat Luton @ 4-7 and Reading to beat Plymouth @ 8-11 look good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

How about this little special on gamebookers.ie Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Lyon all to win their leauges 16/1 not a bad one I think work a tenner or €20 if you can wait all season.
    Obviously Madrid is the one bumping up the odds as Barca are favorites to win la Liga this year but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

It's a good one alright. You could throw Rangers onto it too I fear. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Keano_sli wrote:
    How about this little special on gamebookers.ie Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Lyon all to win their leauges 16/1 not a bad one I think work a tenner or €20 if you can wait all season.
    Obviously Madrid is the one bumping up the odds as Barca are favorites to win la Liga this year but you never know.

Madrid have signed a couple of defensive midfielders so that will help them, and if Woodgate comes back, he might help out on the defensive side too.

Peterborough are a good bet for this weekend.
    And Wolves away to Southampton are a good long shot.
    I don't like accumulators, I always stick to big singles.
    Cork City are a banker tonight, and Shamrock Rovers a a decent price to beat St Pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Bateman wrote:
    Madrid have signed a couple of defensive midfielders so that will help them, and if Woodgate comes back, he might help out on the defensive side too.

Peterborough are a good bet for this weekend.
    I don't like accumulators, I always stick to big singles.
    Cork City are a banker tonight, and Shamrock Rovers a a decent price to beat St Pats.
    Actually if you were feeling brave you could go for a clean sweep of home wins in the Eircom Premier this weekend and get 31/1 I'm not that brave or foolish but its tempting!

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote:

Betfair had Wolves @ 3.4 earlier, better than PP's 2-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

masterK wrote:

Leeds must be the banker of the weekend to beat a Millwall side in disarray even before the season starts, Leeds have brought in some proven Championship players and should win this easily.
    I dunno. I know it was only a friendly but Celtic's reserves dominated for most of the match against Leeds a few weeks ago. They didn't seem any great shakes. Millwall are in disarray though. 8/11 might tempt me. I wouldn't take anything lower.

Aberdeen look a good bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

masterK wrote:

Derby to bt. Brighton 8-13

Derby have retained most of their better players from last season and added to that a home advantage should see them getting the better of Brighton.

Preston to bt. Watford 7-5

Watford only won 5 times at home last season and their summer signings don't look all that impressive. Preston on the other hand improved no end in the second half of last season to finish 4th and can start the season with an away win.

I'll be doing €5 trixie(3 doubles and a €5 treble) on these, I'll keep stakes low for the first weeks of the season. Even if 2 win I'll get my money back.

Almost. 2 wins and draw. Typically the shortest price of the 3 was the one that let me down. Got a return €20.73, which gave me a whopping profit of 73 cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have to say Palace to beat Luton @ 4-7 and Reading to beat Plymouth @ 8-11 look good as well.

Nice! ;)

I'd stay away from backing the teams that have come down from the premiership in the first few weeks of the Championship season, it typically takes them a month or two to adjust to the different style of football they are faced with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'd stay away from backing the teams that have come down from the premiership in the first few weeks of the Championship season, it typically takes them a month or two to adjust to the different style of football they are faced with.

I'm in total agreement with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

We found it hard to get on our feet against Coventry, as soon as Ashton scored we seemed to drop off in pace but McKenzie and Hucks continued to thwart the defense. I think tomorrows game against Crewe will give us the start we need although their win at the weekend might give us a bit of competition. Then after Crewe we have Palace which will be interesting to see how the crowd react to Andy "diver" Johnson coming to Carrow Road after his antics at Selhurst.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Nice! ;)

Easy to say in hindsight...

This weekends bets, all from the Premiership.

Man Utd to bt Everton 4-5

Everton have had a dismal pre-season culminating in a major setback when losing in their Champions League qualifier. United on the other hand have started with a positive result in the Champions League and with no injury worries should win.

Liverpool to bt. Middlesborough 6-4

Liverpools Champions league fixtures should give them the fitness edge on Boro, add to that their strikers are in good form and 6-4 looks a decent price.

Blackburn to bt. West Ham 9-5

Blackburn were rejuvenated in the second half of last season under Mark Hughes, they have had an excellent pre-season including victories over Mallorca and Espanyol. 9-5 is excellent value against a team that only got promoted by the skin of their teeth.

I'll be doing a €5 trixie, all 3 winning will return about €140, 2 winning will result in a small profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

masterK wrote:
    Liverpool to bt. Middlesborough 6-4

Liverpools Champions league fixtures should give them the fitness edge on Boro, add to that their strikers are in good form and 6-4 looks a decent price.
    As a Liverpool fan, I can safely say that anything less than 3/1 for an away win is not good value.

Liverpool may have a fitness edge over Boro, but the Riverside is one of those grounds that they rarely win at. The draw at 11/5 would be a better bet I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

here's one: steven gerrard first hattrick of the season - 50/1 not bad me thinks, worth a few quid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

united, liverpool, spurs blackburn to win. 10er gets you 320 back. tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

dunno about spurs though

united, liverpool, spurs blackburn to win. 10er gets you 320 back. tempting.

But unlikely. Hardest one to call is Wham vs Blackburn, the whammers will be solid at home I think, but a Bellamy-fronted Blackburn could do well this year.

How's about:

Arsenal bt Newcastle
    Wolves bt Hull
    Celtic bt Falkirk

Slightly better than 17-10 on PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've put a fiver @ 7-1 on Liverpool to beat Boro by 2-1 (ladbrooks odds).

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement