Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collectors

Options
  • 05-08-2005 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Myseslf and my boyfriend moved into our new house 3 weeks ago and we have got 3 calls off debt collectors looking for the previous owners we have already told them that we have no forwarding address for them or know nothing about them but at the end of telling them all this they still keep calling back. Finally phoned one of them today and told him that he was not to call back again and he said fine but to expect calls from other people.

Is there anyway to stop these people calling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Exactly same thing happened to us.....went on for about 3 months then got better.

I bet the previous owners did not give you forwarding address.

If this is the case, open their post, and ring the people who are sending reminder letters etc... through the post. Just tell them you have no idea where they have gone (don't get involved)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

well its actually people calling at the door looking for them, one even tried to put his foot in the door yesterday without even telling us who he is.

the only thing is that we bought the house with the some of the contents included if they owe the money for this stuff the debt collectors have no rights to come in and take it out of our house do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

D-! wrote:

the only thing is that we bought the house with the some of the contents included if they owe the money for this stuff the debt collectors have no rights to come in and take it out of our house do they?

No, they dont. Just dont tell them.

Ring the head office of wherever it is and tell them anymore kocks and you ringing the police as its harassment.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

Hi, I used to share a house with a Debt collector when I lived in the UK. In general things tend to be the same here as over there and thefollowing are a few things that he told me...

1) Debt collectors will generally try to get their foot in the door as they will deem this as an invitation to enter and once they have had one invitation in they can enter whenever they like. Debt collectors can enter a property if you leave your door open, I found this one hard to beleive but he swore by it and he did this for a living.

2) If you put a sign in your window saying that Debt Collectors are not welcome then he cannot enter your house even if you leave your door open.

3) Always return the post to them unopened marked "not known at this address".

4) If you have the name of the debt colection agencies you shoudl write to each one of them registered post to advise that you are the new owners of the property and the previous owner did not leave a forwarding address. Request them to acknoledge your letter and confirm that they will no longer be calling.

Hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Culchie wrote:
    If this is the case, open their post,
    That would be bold, but marking their post "Not at this address. Return to sender." would be one thing to do. You could of course give the debt collector the name of their solicitor / estate agent. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Victor wrote:
    That would be bold, but marking their post "Not at this address. Return to sender." would be one thing to do. You could of course give the debt collector the name of their solicitor / estate agent. :D

Sorry Pal, if you are in this situation..... needs must.

If the couple gave no forwarding address, they did that for a reason, why should I have to put up with their troubles?

Open the post, ring the number on the letterhead, tell the people that the previous occupants have moved on without any forwarding address..... problem solved.

Regarding giving debt collector their name of their solicitor etc....as I said stay out of it, why get involved? The previous owners won't be too happy if we pointed debt collectors in their direction, why create enemies? ..... especially ones that know where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

[QUOTE.
    Regarding giving debt collector their name of their solicitor etc....as I said stay out of it, why get involved? The previous owners won't be too happy if we pointed debt collectors in their direction, why create enemies? ..... especially ones that know where you live.[/QUOTE]

good point, just keep returning the post, and tell the guy at the door to get lost,

Advertisement