Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rovers - Pats, live TG4 7.45

• 05-08-2005 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

Unlikely to be the beautiful game (then again, as has been said below, neither was Norwich-Southampton last season and no-one could look away for a minute) as such, but it should be fairly exciting. I think Pats are suffering from a lack of motivation at the moment, and I'm not sure McDonnell's the man for the job, but Rovers have everything to play for, and if they tear into Pats from the start it could be a classic.

I hope Shero puts in another appearance, it would be great to see him get fit again, much as I hate Rovers, it would be great to see one of the best players of the past 20 years fit and playing regularly again. I think Rovers will win it because they need the win much moer than Pats who, having sold Fahy, will lack a creative thrust.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Having watched Pats last week, I can honestly say that was one of the most gutless and inept performances I've ever seen in the league. They had no fight at all and without Fahey no creativity, they don't even have a tank of a striker to boot the ball off of with Rowe and Doyle both being fairly light, footballing centre forwards currently starved of chances.

I also want to see Shero play, an absolute Shelbourne legend and one of the most naturally gifted players ever to play in this league, no matter what state he's in now he's liable to do the spectacular.

We may as well use this as the general tonights EL action thread, so here's the fixtures...
     EIRCOM LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION         
     Cork City        -v- Waterford Utd 7.45
                          Turner's Cross    
     Derry City       -v- Bray Wand's   7.45
                          The Brandywell    
     Shamrock Rovers  -v- St Pat's Ath  7.45
                          Dalymount Park    
     UCD              -v- Finn Harps    7.45
                          Belfield Park     

EIRCOM LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION           
     Galway United    -v- Sligo Rovers  7.30
                          Terryland Park    
     Limerick FC      -v- Kilkenny City 7.45
                          Hogan Park        

Even in Waterfords current state a munster derby is never predictable, Cork should roll Waterford over but you never know. My prediction is 2-2 going into stoppage time and Bruton to get the winner for Cork. God only knows why this one isn't on instead of two of the worst sides in the league, but I'll leave that to the Corkies to whinge about. Derry should beat Bray at home, so Cork will want to win to maintain their gap at the top. In the first Galway v Sligo is a big big game with it being so tight at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'm stuck in studying this weekend for repeats, so this game is definitely part of my agenda for tonight. Hoping for a dramatic 4-4 draw, keep me entertained! ;) Also means neither team get 3 points! :D

Its good to see that they're going to be showing Derry and Cork on TV soon, getting out of Dublin.

Obviously looking forward to seeing Shero play, haven't seen EL weekly since the Rovers/Bray game, so missed his winner there!

I'd expect Cork to win, easily, tonight. but as we know, expect the unexpected. Waterford will be fired up beyond belief for this, and I hope they can do the job (as they themselves are right in the relegation battle of doom). I'd love to see Bray spring a surprise up in Derry, apparently they were unluck to lose 1-0 when they met in the Carlisle grounds, and they're better than some of the other teams that have won points up there: score draw IMO. UCD should win over Finn Harps, but this is the part of the season where the bottom teams gain a bight more fight, all remains to be seen! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Slash/ED wrote:
    God only knows why this one isn't on instead of two of the worst sides in the league

show the culchies before the dubliner :eek:
    cant be having that now can we

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In fairness, although I agree that Waterford will be up for the game against Cork, I really can't see them getting anything from it. Cork had an easy ride against Pats last week, and they will be nicely rested for this. Cork should win and win easily.

I take the point that Derry won a very close game away to Bray earlier in the season, but again, Derry should be buoyed by the win over Bohs, there right in the middle of a purple patch at the moment, and I can't see them not winning against Bray.

Pity we don't have some Galway / Sligo fans on to give us a glimpse into that one; it's supposed to be a pretty ferocious derby, and with Sligo starting to falter, could be a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

and off we go !

Shams to win by a goal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should be a decent game we need to win to move away from them, when they get their 8 points back the ahead of us :(

cant see us winning a bleedin toss at this stage tho.

kdjac

Well, it's lived up to all expectations so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I know Lee Roche of Rovers from around the area. He's known as Lee Reid around here. Is this his first game for Rovers? Just a schoolboy player. Had trials for Nottm Forest a few years back. Wouldn't have thought he'd have made the grade at EL level at this stage though. Cares a bit too much about his looks. :)

Whoever thought it was a good idea to televise that needs their head examined.

As for Roche, with Rovers letting go of so many players during the transfer window and generally cutting back the wagebill it's no suprise they're turning to youth so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Fairly crappy game only seen bits of 2nd half , looks like Rovers had most of the ball. So a point will do least 3 new *young* players got a game. Shame its out of need rather than out of skill level.

Honestly expected commentator to " Why is Ger Rowe humping the corner flag" but in irish, that guy needs a serious talk to about being a striker and staying the **** away from the corner flag.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Derry loseing 2-1 at home to Bray, Cork and Waterford 1-1 in the Cross.

UCD drew at home to Finn Harps.

2-2 at the Brandywell, Delaney with a last minute equaliser

FT 1-1 at the Cross

FT at the Brandywell now, finishes 2-2 according to xscores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

UCD 1-1 harps

At least Cork and Derry both conceeded and drew at home to supposedly far inferior teams tonight! ;) Derry scored in the last minute of each half to nab a point there! :eek:

4 matches in the premier division, and 4 draws! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

With the match on TG4 I was very dissapointed not to hear Roddy give an interview in Irish..... that would be funny!

Heard it was a piss poor match. Not suprisingly since it involved 2 piss poor teams.

Was dire wtaching. Watched it with a Pats fan, and we ended up talking about the Steaua game and various other things rather than watching it. Worse than watching paint dry! But still, I've seen worse in the Premiershít, so it's not all bad! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

St Pats vs rovers.

What a pile of ****e. What do you expect. Depressing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I went to the game it was horrendus that is all I can say about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Both keepers did well, but other than that, both teasm were afflicted with the same disease that Shels had on Wednesday night; be afriad of the ball, and hoof it away as soon as you can. Disappointing really, as it looked like there was a decent atmosphere, even if there was a poor crowd for the so-called "derby of colour".

Was surprised that Cork and Derry failed to win.

Bohs have a lot of injuries tonight, but hopefully we can at least nick a draw. We'll be bringing the Welsh flags. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement