Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Office

• 05-08-2005 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi All,

i have been advised that it would be better functionally and legally (you know what i mean) to switch to open office. my biggest concern is 'does it include an email client?' ala Outlook which is capable of handelling .pst files. as i have all my archives stored in the one pst

any help would be appreciated,
    cheers
    iain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

my biggest concern is 'does it include an email client?' ala Outlook which is capable of handelling .pst files. as i have all my archives stored in the one pst

No it doesn't.

Isn't Outlook seperate from MS Office anyways ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mozilla Thunderbird is a good outlook replacement.

Is it linking into exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

office 2003 has outlook as part of it. sorry forgot to mention that.

its only gonna be used for gmail and eircom account?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are using connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server then outlook is the best client and it's free because it's covered by the Client Access License you need to connect to the server. Avoid outlook express - it has nothing in common with Outlook except the ability to swap address books (and even then you may need to remap field names :rolleyes: )

Otherwise if it's just standard smtp/pop email then there are any number of good clients. Thunderbird gets my vote too.

Exporting files from the PST might be the messy bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thunderbird gets my vote too :)

www.mozilla.org/thunderbird

• Advertisement
Advertisement