Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're back....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cork wrote:
    No, It does not. It is about time SF copped onto itself. This organisation is constantly demanding of others but it needs to take more responsibility for itself or organisations that it is closely linked to.

Sounds like they're getting more and more like FF by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

hill16 wrote:
    Mycroft what else am I suppose to do except bring to meet the people who were in the bar that night or you will just have to take my word for it.And by the way you have no idea the damage that person has done to the anti drugs movement in the south inner city.

Ah the traditional "i'm more street than you"

Unsubstainated claims about sexual assault by a dead man, dubious accounts about where you are and who you know, should be treated with contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

Okay I will leave you to believe everything you read in the Indo. Cruise O'Brien for President. :D

hill16 wrote:
    Okay I will leave you to believe everything you read in the Indo. Cruise O'Brien for President. :D

If you could find a "source" other than "what you heard down the pub" I'd give it more credence, fact remains you're trying to convince me that a dead man sexually assaulted a senior IRA man's sister, on your word alone.

Snide comments about the Indo, aside, what am I supposed to do?
    Take the word of an what some anonymous bloke on the internet over it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

Mycroft when did I say he sexually assualted her,and I'm not trying to convice you he did assualt her.I dont know for a fact if he did or not but thats what the locals are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK, this tangent has managed to get out of hand. What we've got is a post on the internet from someone who says that the locals have an unsubstantiated rumour that someone who got done in by somebody had previously assaulted the murderer's sister (negotiated down from a previously factually-presented statement of a certain family feud) and that if this is true or if the person in question believed it to be true that this may well have been the cause of the murder. And an allegation that one of them (unspecified, presumably by accident) has managed to cause harm to one of the anti-drugs groups, hopefully one of the peacable ones.

I think we're all clear on that. Crystal clear in fact as we've heard it all more than once with nothing added after the first time.

I'm pretty clear that it's got sweet FA to do with the original topic and very little to do with most of the related topics that people managed to go through.

Now, I'd like you all to move back towards (not necessarily "to" but rather dramatically "towards") the original topic. If not, I'll move all the unrelated posts to the recycle bin and take action against those who choose to refuse to do so. I'd watch out for that on other threads too as the new thread button is there for anyone to use if they can choose to make a new thread on an unrelated topic or discuss one to death, I find it confusing and I may choose to strike without much warning as this stuff is pretty painful for the sane among us to read. Tangents happen and they're natural (and sometimes they're interesting) but sometimes you're all makign them more trouble than they're worth by spinning around in circles like big spinny things.

Back towards topic. Now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

And on a separate personal note, in the midst of all that, my question didn't get answered or addressed either (as typically usual with the recent exception of supersheep). Which is always disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

tomMK1 wrote:
    all im saying is that it isnt surprising they were on false passports. If they went to portugal for holidays they more than likely would have been on false passports ... doesnt mean they were up to no good .....

Well, obviously. I need to go to the shop for some milk. Hmm, better have a quick sex change and forged birth cert first.

tomMK1 wrote:
    why a low profile? well, when you have britain watching you, then why not?

Is this some sort of bizarre new Channel 4 reality TV show?

sceptre wrote:
    And on a separate personal note, in the midst of all that, my question didn't get answered or addressed either (as typically usual with the recent exception of supersheep). Which is always disappointing.

Hey I've still not got an answer for the post about passports, lies, and SF denials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

mycroft wrote:
    Hey I've still not got an answer for the post about passports, lies, and SF denials.

You have. Forged passports are a basic personal privacy precaution than any right-thinking human would take. Obviously. And Gerry Adams has a Steve Jobs-model Reality Distortion Field. Or possibly papal infallibility.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

sceptre wrote:
    Weren't there calls for an investigation out of that then? I don't think I imagined those or the Tower Commission report or the Congress conclusion in 1987 that the President bore ultimate responsibility for the actions of his aides. Say it isn't so. Assuming these things actually happened (because they did) what was your point?

My point was a counter argument to the idea that similar situations don't (or havent) happen to other political parties in democracies. That Iran contra just came to mind. One could include the arms trial or a host of other happenings. I accept an investigation was carried out and I do not oppose the Oireachtas having one in Ireland.

mycroft wrote:

Seeing as you're not refuting terrorist acts by FARC, and the fact they gain a massive amount of cash from drugs, the rest is irrelevant.

No it isnt!. The point is that you are suggest that FARC were involved in drug trafficing and terrorism. I pointed out that I am suspicious of you singling out FARC and question whether you apply the same standerds to other people governments or groups. Also, I pointed out that your "facts" about FARC being narco terrorists over simplify the historic reality of the Colombian situation. FARC are not in the drugs trade. they take money from drugs dealers just as many other organisations sip with the devil. the US and others have dealt with terrorists and dictators when it suited them so I am also questioning the doublke standards of singling out FARC and then not applying the same standards to other groups. I am not a Marxist. I don't support FARC or terrorism but I will also speak out against the likes of US support for Saddam when they supported him.
    But the main point is still what the three were guilty of! You havestill provided nothing about this!

And again. No one is saying they did. Arguing that the IRA stated that they did not send the men is like claiming my point is irrelevant because the communist party of belguim claimed they didn't send them. I never claimed the IRA stated they did, you are once again, misrepresenting my position.

You stated that the IRA and SF lied about them being there on their business. You claimed they were there on either SF or IRA business and you claimed that they were caught with terrorists. You also said that the IRA and SF denied they were there on official business are even denied they knew of the existance of the three. Then you assert they later admitted that they had planned the mission and did know about the three. I pointed out that this is just all riddled with errors. As far as I know the IRA said they were not there oin IRA business and I havent seen any retraction of this. the IRA might well be a pack of murdering liars but that is beside the point. If you claim you know that the IRA later admitted something then YOU provide evidence to support your contention!
    The point is none of the men gave an adequeate explaintion for why they travelled under false passports. One man claimed he did and made muttering about a threat but the closest he came to specifing a threat was the murder of his lawyer's father. twenty years ago. While the murder of his Pat Finunance was an outrage its not relevant to the claims of death threats in this case. None of them have given adequate explaination for their lies.
    First what specific lies are you referring to? evidence please?
    Second in spite of trying to prove a negtative I suggest you read the three stastements to the court and then come back and say they didnt say why they were there with false passports.
    And again we're supposed to be okay that a former bomber has ready access to fake passports?

This is completly off point and ignores the principles of justice. The point is that we do not have lynch law. It is not okay for a non-former bomber to have a false passport ( CIA MI6 etc. also regularly carry them by the way) but how does having ome prover any involvment in trainint FARC in terror?
    Making some glib comment about the pope is irrelevant.
    it isnt I referred to the possession of knowledge of something does not make one guilty. I have knowledge of making explosives. does that mean if i went to Colombia I am training FARC?
    James Monaghan is a former IRA bomber who travelled to meet terrorists using a false passport with a senior SF member, did no one in SF/ The IRA consider the PR ramifications?

Apparently not since they didnt plan the trip. But sure most of SF leadership are former bombers and terrorist supporters anyway. so what? how does that meke the three guilty of anything?
    A senior former IRA bomb maker meeting terrorists using false ID and we're supposed to take his word?
    You completly miss the point again! You can believe him or not. You can personally assume guilt. But you can not bang him up in gaol without proving
    guilt!
    Do I admit that they (both the Columbian three and FARC admitted) meeting in FARC territory? Yes.

NThat is not what you claimed. You claimed they were CAPTURED in Farc territory with FARC terrorists. You were wrong and you are trying to evede admitting that arent you?
    I've an article from a major Irish broadsheet supporting my claim that the Adams et all denied for months and the first admission that they were SF members occured on 22oct. What have you got?

No you havent! whewre in the article is there evidence Adams denied it for months?
    And it is not for me to prove your point.
    So basically you got nothing, right? Otherwise you'd show it.
    Slip and slide all you want but YOU made the claim YOU support it!
    I have a Unicoirn in myu garden. Someone poster pictures to the net about them and they were printed in a newspaper. So care to prove me wrong? you have no pictures of Unicoens not being in my garden have you? :)
    See what I mean about you logic being confused?

Incidently ISAW you've dropped the suprious claims about the three weeks, that just looked daft.

I didnt make the clkaim you did. You claimed about denials. I stated I would be surprised that SF were denying the three about a month (30 days ) later and when you show they were I will accept that. You havent showm ANY evidence that they were denying them a month later. You havent even posted the arrest date!

Yeah what doies that reference prove? What are you suggesting it supports?
    Would you ever quit nickpicking the above? Christ the man's nickname is Mortar Monaghan for f*cks sake
    LOL!
    Your honour I have a long list of name calling here.
    Judge: Okay fine. Hang him!

Do you remember the "evil Annies bomb factory" headline on Annie Maguire?

ISAW wrote:
    You stated that the IRA and SF lied about them being there on their business. You claimed they were there on either SF or IRA business and you claimed that they were caught with terrorists.
    This thread is getting wieldy and tedious to keep up with.
    But I'm pretty sure someone posted somewhere on it a link to a media timeline of denials by SF of these people when it first came out that they were arrested, theres an audio link there too somewhere in this thread afaik.

Now if they were there on SF business(and one of them was a SF rep in Cuba who afaik organised a friendly Adams visit to Castro,himself not a bastion/champion of human rights) then denial of them was a lie.

Any other party can be called up on a lie why not SF??

Earthman wrote:
    Now if they were there on SF business(and one of them was a SF rep in Cuba who afaik organised a friendly Adams visit to Castro,himself not a bastion/champion of human rights) then denial of them was a lie.

Any other party can be called up on a lie why not SF??

A lie is only a lie if you know the truth and say otherwise. It is possible Adams lied. But in order to prove that one would have to show that he new of the trip before it happened. I have not seen any evidence to this effect. I keep asking Mycroft for it but instead of answering he posts a link to Adams saying that he was wrong and that it turns out they were there trying to talk to FARC and others as SF people and other republicans interested in talking to a marxist leninist terrorist group on ceasefire.

I am not really surprised in that. But whether SF lied or not though interesting is not the main point. the main point is that they are here in Ireland and what do people think should be done to them? If people say they did something wrong in colombia then I ask what did they do and where is the evidence. so far all I have seen evidence for is false passports. So what about all the other accusations? What do people alledge and what do they think they should be charged with? Furthermore on the passports, what should they be charged with? Is there a crime of having false passports? Is there a crime of entering Ireland illegally if one is already Irish? Is it possible to extradite them ( I dont think so)? If having or using these identities is a crime how can one have double jeopardy?

So in short the main issue is - 1. what did they do wrong? and 2. What can be done about it now?

ISAW wrote:
    A lie is only a lie if you know the truth and say otherwise. It is possible Adams lied. But in order to prove that one would have to show that he new of the trip before it happened. I have not seen any evidence to this effect. I keep asking Mycroft for it but instead of answering he posts a link to Adams saying that he was wrong and that it turns out they were there trying to talk to FARC and others as SF people and other republicans interested in talking to a marxist leninist terrorist group on ceasefire.
    I cant fathom how people can represent a party in a foreign country without their party knowing.
    Thats stretching credulity to the limit and beyond tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ISAW wrote:
    I have a Unicoirn in myu garden. Someone poster pictures to the net about them and they were printed in a newspaper. So care to prove me wrong? you have no pictures of Unicoens not being in my garden have you? :)
    Its got nothing to do with logic.

I challenge both mycroft and you to post up the name of the newspaper and the publication date of the paper containing the articles you both respectively claim to be in possession of.

I'm willing to bet that you cannot provide verifiable evidence of a newspaper whcih contains pictures of unicorns in your garden.

Mycroft's claims...I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss (as you have done), and would rank the probability of his referred-to article actually existing as almost-infinitely higher than yours.

So who's reasoning were you saying was confused??? You dismissed a verifiable article with a farcical argument by comparing it to an article that cannot be verified. Of course...maybe your reasoning wasn't confused at all, and you deliberately took this line to try and avoid having to deal with the existence of said article.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ISAW wrote:
    A lie is only a lie if you know the truth and say otherwise.

Actually, you don't need to know the truth in order to lie. You just need to know that what you are saying is false.
    But whether SF lied or not though interesting is not the main point. the main point is that they are here in Ireland and what do people think should be done to them?
    Nice misdirection. Given that its virtualy impossible to prove that these guys did something, naturally thats where focus will want to be directed.

On the other hand, it is far more porbable to show that SF deliberately misrepresented itself and/or these men's dealings during teh whole affair, which means it is more probable that we find out that SF have been lying than it is that we find out what these men have been up to.

Remember - to find a lie, we don't need to know the truth...only that that person who told it knew it was false at the time they tried to pass it off as truth.

So I would argue that whether or not SF lied is the main point at this stage.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    Its got nothing to do with logic.

I'm willing to bet that you cannot provide verifiable evidence of a newspaper whcih contains pictures of unicorns in your garden.

Are you willing to bet 1000 Euro? I did not claim a broadsheet newspaper. If I can produce a newspaper with a circulation of thousands which produced a picture of unicorns claiming they were in my garden will you then donate 1000 euro to a charity of my choosing?

So who's reasoning were you saying was confused??? You dismissed a verifiable article with a farcical argument by comparing it to an article that cannot be verified. Of course...maybe your reasoning wasn't confused at all, and you deliberately took this line to try and avoid having to deal with the existence of said article.

jc
    I was pointing to the idea of trying to prove a negative. Sorry if my attempt attempt at pathetic irony confused anything.

bonkey wrote:
    Actually, you don't need to know the truth in order to lie. You just need to know that what you are saying is false.

and how does one know a falsehood is in fact false if one is not aware that the logical opposite is true?
    Nice misdirection. Given that its virtualy impossible to prove that these guys did something, naturally thats where focus will want to be directed.

It is not misdirection! It is the central point of the whole discussion. If one can not prove that they did anything wrong then one must assume they are innocent!
    On the other hand, it is far more porbable to show that SF deliberately misrepresented itself and/or these men's dealings during teh whole affair, which means it is more probable that we find out that SF have been lying than it is that we find out what these men have been up to.

Indeed as I stated SF might well have lied. I don't know. Produce any evidencew if you have it. I wouldn't be shocked if you were shown to be right but I havent seen any evidence for this either. It still doen not alter the fact that the MAIN point still is whether the three did any wrong and what evidence there is for this.
    Remember - to find a lie, we don't need to know the truth...only that that person who told it knew it was false at the time they tried to pass it off as truth.

and how would they know it was false? Refer to logical truth as I did please and not extend the definition into colloquialisms?
    So I would argue that whether or not SF lied is the main point at this stage.

The thread is about the Colombia three being back in Ireland. If you think the main issue with this is that a political party connected to one of the three may have lied about them then that is up to you. I prefer to believe that the Colombia Three themselves, what they did, what they said, what evidence there is for all that IS the MAIN issue. You can discuss the side issue you are trying to sterr the discussion into if you wish. For example, what evidence do you have for SF lying? But dont forget the main issue is whether the three did anything wrong, how do we find out and what should be done about it. I also accept that SF may also have a role in answering this main issue.

ISAW wrote:
    <snip>farc crap.</snip>

And again, and you're really beginning to miss this
    A) I don't know what they're guilty of, I just know that SFs behaviour of in this issue would not be tolerated in any other party on this island, and I want a better explaination.
    B) you can rant about US involvement in Columbia, or Saddam etc, does that change FARC's terrorist acts,or funding through drugs, no? Good.

I'm someone who thinks that trying to excuse someone's reprenhensible actions by pointing out the worse deeds by the other guy isn't acceptable.

Or to put it another way do you think the US justication for the invasion of Iraq was acceptable because of the "Saddam oppressed his people" routine?
    You claimed they were there on either SF or IRA business and you claimed that they were caught with terrorists.

No I didn't i said SF business, not IRA. Are you reading my posts at all?
    You also said that the IRA and SF denied they were there on official business are even denied they knew of the existance of the three. Then you assert they later admitted that they had planned the mission and did know about the three.

No I didn't. I said SF did. Again are you reading my posts at all?
    . As far as I know the IRA said they were not there oin IRA business and I havent seen any retraction of this.
    Seeing as I never said they were on IRA business you may be waiting awhile.
    If you claim you know that the IRA later admitted something then YOU provide evidence to support your contention!
    And again asking me to prove something I never claimed would be a lil unfair. Seriously, have you been reading any of my posts?
    Second in spite of trying to prove a negtative I suggest you read the three stastements to the court and then come back and say they didnt say why they were there with false passports.
    And again you'll notice I did in fact quote one of their responses (seriously ISAW are you reading my posts?) and I did point out that several of the men made vague references to threats on their life, but the closest any of them came to specifing a threat was the mention of his solicitor's father's murder. Which was hardly relevant to a "potential threat" the three faced, now is it? If they were under threat? Why? Two weren't convicted terrorists (and you doubt the third was) why the necessitity for false passports?
    It is not okay for a non-former bomber to have a false passport ( CIA MI6 etc. also regularly carry them by the way) but how does having ome prover any involvment in trainint FARC in terror?

I do so adore this double standard. Whenever a member of the CIA or MI6 is found with a false passport their behaviour and actions are questioned. "Why did they have them?", "what had they planned?" And yet we're supposed to believe theres an plausible and genuine and peaceful reason the columbian three traveled using false passports. We must (and should) be suspicious when members of the security services use false IDs, but when former republican terrorists (and ordinary republicans)do, we should give them the benefit of the doubt?

Charming.
    And incidently I've never suggested anywhere that they're training farc, just doubted their excuses for being there and the reasons they claim to be.
    it isnt I referred to the possession of knowledge of something does not make one guilty. I have knowledge of making explosives. does that mean if i went to Colombia I am training FARC?

Did I claim they were training FARC?
    And were you travelling under false ID and a convicted bomber? Er no. World of difference just because you read the anarchist cookbook, doesn't make you the jackal. James Monaghan as I prove below is however an experienced bomber.
    Apparently not since they didnt plan the trip. But sure most of SF leadership are former bombers and terrorist supporters anyway. so what? how does that meke the three guilty of anything?
    And I never said they were and this is the point you spectualarly fail to address ISAW the guilt of the Columbian three and whether they should be in prison isn't what bother me, it's the behaviour of SF, it's denials, etc, it's unwilliness to explain, which makes me question their commitment to democratic principlesThats the issue I have. I'm indifferent to seeing the columbian three rot in a jail I'd rather see a greater commitment from SF for openness and accountability. Thats my point and the point you miss, again and again and again. Any other political party would be forced to explain themselves to greater degree SF ignore the questions and walk away.
    You claimed they were CAPTURED in Farc territory with FARC terrorists. You were wrong
    This is endearingly funny. If you'll notice I admitted I got this wrong several pages ago. After their arrest both FARC and the men admitted meeting in FARC territory. I got that wrong, the Columbian 3 and FARC corrected me, the fact remains they did meet in FARC territory, and everyone admits it.
    No you havent! whewre in the article is there evidence Adams denied it for months?

*Weary sigh*, please read the quotes below.
    On October 22, 2001, Gerry Adams issued a statement clarifying that following "an investigation," it had emerged that, after all, Niall Connolly had been a Sinn Féin representative in Cuba. (see www.rte.ie/news/2001/1022/ira.html)
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=71487993825&p=7y487994z3x&n=71487994312
    States this is the first time SF made any form of admission that they got it wrong. It's an "apology" it's not close to an explanation.
    So care to prove me wrong? you have no pictures of Unicoens not being in my garden have you? :)
    I don't know what a "unicoens" is. I imagine it's like a kosher Unicorn, but anyway Bonkey's rebuttal to your point is more than adequate.
    I didnt make the clkaim you did. I stated I would be surprised that SF were denying the three about a month (30 days ) You havent showm ANY evidence that they were denying them a month later. You havent even posted the arrest date!

Yes I have you've just not bothered reading it; from here
    The three men were arrested while travelling on false passports on August 11, 2001.
    And then
    There are links to numerous newspaper reports in which Sinn Féin spokespersons, including Gerry Adams himself, insisted that none of the three men arrested in Bogota was a member of Sinn Féin.
    Sinn Féin accepted from the outset that James Monaghan had, ten years earlier, been a member of the Sinn Féin árd cómhairle, but maintained he had dropped out of active involvement with the party. McLaughlin again denied that Monaghan or McCauley or Connolly had any current involvement with the party. "It is clear that they no longer are members of the party; they act in no function whatsoever on behalf of the party and that should be crystal clear."
    On October 22, 2001, Gerry Adams issued a statement clarifying that following "an investigation," it had emerged that, after all, Niall Connolly had been a Sinn Féin representative in Cuba. (see www.rte.ie/news/2001/1022/ira.html).

In a cynical move of the type which caused trouble for New Labour adviser Jo Moore, Adams timed the issuing of this 'clarification' for a couple of hours before the announcement of the IRA's first act of decommissioning.
    On any other day the admission would have been sensational, but Adams knew full well that it would be subsumed into the larger decommissioning good news story.
    Interestingly,in his statement on October 21 2001, Adams apologised to the Connolly family for the anguish caused by his repeated denials, but there was no apology to the media or the public for repeatedly lying to them.

The article is unambigious in its assertion that it was on Oct 21, 12 weeks (far in excess of your 30 days) that the first admission by SF or Adams occured on this date.Now you can refute, it but the examiner is one of the most respected papers in Ireland, you want to deny it I'd suggest you find some evidence, rather that scoffing, I've a respected source, what have you got?

Furthermore, this like the other articles I've posted you've picked selective quotes to have read and ignored facts when it suits you.
    Yeah what doies that reference prove? What are you suggesting it supports?
    Mmmm gosh I dunno? my assertion that james monaghan is a convicted bomber?
    The man turned out to be James Monaghan, one of the Colombia Three and a convicted IRA mortar bomber.
    from, oh look! the article I quoted
    http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/6087546?view=Eircomnet
    Still refuting James Monaghan is a convicted bomber? because I see little point in arguing in someone who's reaction to indigestable evidence is to go "la la la la I'm not listening"

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:
    I challenge both mycroft and you to post up the name of the newspaper and the publication date of the paper containing the articles you both respectively claim to be in possession of.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=71487993825&p=7y487994z3x&n=71487994312
    The article includes the link to the classic "apology but not really an apology' from Adams, and Mc Laughlin's denial.

But I suspect ISAW would despite "not being a Marxist" or a "Sinn Fein member" would take one of those slurry milkshakes.
    ISAW wrote:
    The thread is about the Colombia three being back in Ireland.

I 'm curious to know why someone who's so quick to bring in non sequiturs about Saddam Hussein, is demanding the thread be brought back on topic.
    :rolleyes:
    I also accept that SF may also have a role in answering this main issue.

And again I'm not eager in seing these men back in a prison, however considering your absolute defence of SF's word on all issues relating to this,when my entire point is whether the men are guilty or not, the act of traveling under false passports is naturally dubious and SF's inexplicable behaviour, and therefore should we not question their commitment to democratic principles[/b] in contrast to your offering the benefit of the doubt to SF to an absurd degree makes me sceptical of the above statement by you.

mycroft wrote:
    And again, and you're really beginning to miss this
    A)
    B)

A: You claimed they were arrested with terrorists in a terrorist area. You stated that the IRA and SF lied about them being there on their business. You claimed they were there on either SF or IRA business and you claimed that they were caught with terrorists. according to you they are terrorists and that is a fact. But you have not produced any evidence about this so called "fact" which is really your opinion. You now are claiming after all that thay you have no idea if the whole thrust of your argument based on "facts" like this has any basis and that you really don't believe it at all.
    As regards SF that to me is a seperate they have questions to answer and there should be some sort of an enquiry but FIRST one must decide what people are accusing the three of doing and what should be done if they are guilty of anything. You have produced nothing on this. do you think they should go back to Colombia for example?
    Furthermore other parties have been in similar circumstances (not just on this island) and yes ther were enquiries there also.

B: You snipped the background material on FARC.
    Colombia produces approximately 80% of the world's cocaine 70% of the heroin consumed on the east coast of the US. drugs trade in Colombia is controlled Cartels and Right Wing Paramilitaries in collusion with senior forces in the Colombian Army. US DEA has repeatedly acknowledged in testimony before US congress that the FARC is not involved in international drugs trafficking. Guerrillas remainfocused on taxation of illicit crops and pursing on the agenda of the peace talks the need to provide an economic alternative for peasants. This is part of the 12 point agenda agreed between the Colombian Government and the FARC.

What you fail to realise is that there is a difference between the reasons for doing something and the justification of it. I accept the reasons FARC and the IRA have for violence are wholly different from the reasons Loyalists use violence. This is important since some day one has to think about removing the reasons and that involves different actions in different circumstances. this does not mean I justify the violence.

Now the whole idea of an anti cartel Marxist group running drugs is not logical. Why are they "taxing" the cartels then? Well they want money for weapons and troops. Now suppose the US stepped in and said the US would pay them twice the money they get from the Cartels. they would probably wipe out all the cartels in their area. But that would mean the military regime would topple and an anti globalisation anti trans nationsl corporation left wing government would be sponsored by the US - not good for corporate america?
    so that isnt really probable either.

One point being made in relation to Saddam is that he existed with US sponsorship just as other similar right Wing Groups do in Colombia. Another point is whether you adopt double standards and only apply criticism to FARC really because you do not like SF or the IRA but you appeal to moral arguments which can also be applied elsewhere and you do not condemn it elsewhere.
    I'm someone who thinks that trying to excuse someone's reprenhensible actions by pointing out the worse deeds by the other guy isn't acceptable.
    Im someone who doesn't use a moral argument on one group and ignore it on another. If something is wrong it is wrong for any groups. So why do you not condemn all such actions? Why single out the FARC? Is it because you think you can then claim links to the IRA? Look you have neglected to pay attention to the whole idea of conflict resolution. I referred above to the difference between "reasons" and "justifications" for violence. Please think about that. If you go to try solve these situations then a constant tirade of "we all know you are drug dealing murderers" made in total ignorance oif the history of the conflict is not going to get you anywhere.

One can only conclude you dont want discussion debate or a solution. You just want to rant and bash SF and the IRA. Why? Why dont you apply the same standards to other groups?
    Or to put it another way do you think the US justication for the invasion of Iraq was acceptable because of the "Saddam oppressed his people" routine?
    I don't think the current invasion and occupation of Iraq was acceptable. I also have opposed Saddam since 1982 when the US were his pals (and the French I might add). I oppose any misuse of force or abuse of human rights (including Saddam as a prisioner I might add). I dont support SF or the IRA. I am here to discuss the rights of the Colombia Three and what should happen to them.
    Seeing as I never said they were on IRA business you may be waiting awhile.
    Several times you said they were captured in a terrorist area with terrorists. several times you pointed to the "fact" of one being a convicted IRA bomber. Now let us get things straight, are you now claiming that non of the three are IRA?
    And again you'll notice I did in fact quote one of their responses (seriously ISAW are you reading my posts?) and I did point out that several of the men made vague references to threats on their life, but the closest any of them came to specifing a threat was the mention of his solicitor's father's murder.

Your argument is that they disnt get killed so they werent in danger. It just does not hold any water. first the three have repeatedly pointed to dodgey situations e.g one being locked up in a communal cell with convicted right wing paramilitaries. Furthermore 25 defence lawyers have been killed since 1998. Urgent action appeals for protection of defense lawyers have been issued by International human rights organisations such as Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch. Two such appeals were issued in 2002 concerning the threes lawyers
    http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR230642002?open&of=ENG-COL
    PUBLIC AI Index: AMR 23/064/2002

UA 180/02 Fear for safety 14 June 2002

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR231082002?open&of=ENG-COL
    PUBLIC AI Index: AMR 23/108/2002

UA 287/02 Fear for safety/Death threats 20 September 2002
    Which was hardly relevant to a "potential threat" the three faced, now is it? If they were under threat? Why? Two weren't convicted terrorists (and you doubt the third was) why the necessitity for false passports?

I can go into the reasons why someone with leftist leanings or an ex convict of a leftise group might feel under threat when locked up in a cell with serveral right wing paramilataries. I can also go into similar feelings for a white Supramicist locked up in a cell full of black Panther members. there are a whole list of similar happenings to the three. But I wont since I think that Amnesty alone is enough to convince most sensible people.
    I started a campaign to free a Chinese student from China to return here to do his studies. He isnt dead now either. Others in similar circumstances were killed. I would be particularly baffeled if you claim he wasnt in danger because he is living today!
    I do so adore this double standard. Whenever a member of the CIA or MI6 is found with a false passport their behaviour and actions are questioned. "Why did they have them?", "what had they planned?" And yet we're supposed to believe theres an plausible and genuine and peaceful reason the columbian three traveled using false passports.
    You were already give the reasons.And it is not for the state to act in the same way as terrorists.
    We must (and should) be suspicious when members of the security services use false IDs, but when former republican terrorists (and ordinary republicans)do, we should give them the benefit of the doubt?
    Both should be given the benefit of the doubt. If you cant prove what they did they are assumed innocent.
    Did I claim they were training FARC?
    Let me be quite frank. Are you now admitting you do not believe they were terrorists training FARC or meeting with FARC to plan terrorist activities?
    States this is the first time SF made any form of admission that they got it wrong. It's an "apology" it's not close to an explanation.

You are turning logic on its head. You claim was that SF denied they knew the three and not that SF later accepted they knew them. My point was that I did not think SF denied them thirty days after they were arrested. I accept I might be wrong but as yet you have produced nothing to show me I am wrong. the above does not do so!
    The article is unambigious in its assertion that it was on Oct 21, 12 weeks (far in excess of your 30 days) that the first admission by SF or Adams occured on this date.
    You have it arseways again! The point is whether SF denied it 30 days after the arrest! they may well have but you have not shown me that did!

mycroft wrote:
    from, oh look! the article I quoted
    http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/6087546?view=Eircomnet
    Still refuting James Monaghan is a convicted bomber? because I see little point in arguing in someone who's reaction to indigestable evidence is to go "la la la la I'm not listening"
    Now you can refute, it but the examiner is one of the most respected papers in Ireland, you want to deny it I'd suggest you find some evidence, rather that scoffing, I've a respected source, what have you got?

You cant shift the burden like that! this all came out of a discussion about speed of communications. You suggested that on hearing of the arrest that SF continually deinied they knew the three. I stated I might be wrong but I would be surprised if SF denied the three thirty days later. You have not produced anything to support you claim that SF denied the three any time around thiorty days later or later. Indeed I even stated that three weeks later they probably didnt deny them since they probably knew of the link by then. You havent produced a singlke reference showing SF denying them 21 days later and as I stated I might well be wrong. But you havent shown I am!
    Furthermore, this like the other articles I've posted you've picked selective quotes to have read and ignored facts when it suits you.

Unlike you who picks no quotes? Do you know how a reference woirks. One makes a point. One then makes a quote from literature to support the point and supplies a reference to the source of the quote. You apparently think giving a reference is enough without showing a selected quote from it which is what one is meant to do

I never claimed he was not a convicted IRA man, bomber or otherwise. where did I? If you continue in claiming this you are calling me a liar.

I asked you to support you list of "facts". This was one you eventually supported. I have no idea when ou originally posted it if you knew any of them had been convicted and what for.

I 'm curious to know why someone who's so quick to bring in non sequiturs about Saddam Hussein, is demanding the thread be brought back on topic.
    :rolleyes:
    I already explained how that pointed to double standards on your part.
    And again I'm not eager in seing these men back in a prison,
    then whay post as "facts" about being convicted terrorists or them being arrested with terrorists?
    however considering your absolute defence of SF's word on all issues relating to this,
    where have I done that? I told you already that I dont support SF and they can defend themselves. I have no idea what SF have said on this and it doesnt really interest me in proving them liars. My interest is that the three get justice.
    when my entire point is whether the men are guilty or not, the act of traveling under false passports is naturally dubious and SF's inexplicable behaviour, and therefore should we not question their commitment to democratic principles
    You contradict yourself again. Above when I pointed to the main issue of the guilt or innocence of the three and thenm getting justice you point out you are more interested in what SF have to say about that issue than that issue itself!
    in contrast to your offering the benefit of the doubt to SF to an absurd degree makes me sceptical of the above statement by you.

I dont think it was absurd that SF leadership didnt know about the issue for about three weeks after the arrests. I dont seriously believe they did know. Maybe they are lying and did know but I believe what the three said from the outset. Whether I believe it or not if You believe they were up to nefarious purposes then care to produce some evidence?

ISAW wrote:
    A: You claimed they were arrested with terrorists in a terrorist area. You stated that the IRA and SF lied about them being there on their business.

And again for the hard of bloody thinking.

A) I never said they were there on IRA business, and I never said the IRA did.
    B) I clarified that they had not been caught with terrorists, but both they and FARC admitted meeting in FARC territory. Trying to win points on these issues is just weak.
    according to you they are terrorists and that is a fact.

really? Where exactly did I say that?
    But you have not produced any evidence about this so called "fact" which is really your opinion.

This torturous logic of yours is getting very tedious. Asking me to support a fact that I never claimed. I merely pointed out there are questions about this trip that neither the men nor SF have adequately answered. And they should at least try.
    FIRST one must decide what people are accusing the three of doing and what should be done if they are guilty of anything. You have produced nothing on this. do you think they should go back to Colombia for example?

Your inability and unwilliness to read what I wrote is phenominally tedious. I never suggested they return to Columbia.

And seeing as we both agree that SF have questions to answer, (which is my entire point) I don't see what we are arguing about.

However and this is the hilarious part. you say SF "have questions to answer" and but you've spent the past four pages suggesting SF don't have any questions to answer and defending their actions to an absurd degree, what questions do you feel SF have to answer?
    Furthermore other parties have been in similar circumstances (not just on this island) and yes ther were enquiries there also.

Your point being? Seeing as you seem (by your posts) to feel SF have done nothing wrong, and for that neither do SF, and theres no enquiry planned by SF, what is your point?

What you fail to realise is that there is a difference between the reasons for doing something and the justification of it. I accept the reasons FARC and the IRA have for violence are wholly different from the reasons Loyalists use violence. This is important since some day one has to think about removing the reasons and that involves different actions in different circumstances. this does not mean I justify the violence.

Why are they "taxing" the cartels then? Well they want money for weapons and troops. Now suppose the US stepped in and said the US would pay them twice the money they get from the Cartels. they would probably wipe out all the cartels in their area. But ?
    so that isnt really probable either.

Seriously what is the point of the pseudo realistic John Clancy esque waffle?

Rambling points about the geo politcal landscape aside. You accept that FARC commit terrorist acts and fund themselves through drugs.
    One point being made in relation to Saddam is that he existed with US sponsorship just as other similar right Wing Groups do in Colombia. Another point is whether you adopt double standards and only apply criticism to FARC really because you do not like SF or the IRA but you appeal to moral arguments which can also be applied elsewhere and you do not condemn it elsewhere.

Oh really? I don't? You don't know that I don't just because I don't appreciate you trying to derail this thread with waffle about Saddam and US foreign policy, that I don't condemn this acts. Don't presume or assume, okay?
    Im someone who doesn't use a moral argument on one group and ignore it on another. If something is wrong it is wrong for any groups. So why do you not condemn all such actions? Why single out the FARC? Is it because you think you can then claim links to the IRA?

Or is it because it's what the goddamn thread is about?
    Look you have neglected to pay attention to the whole idea of conflict resolution. I referred above to the difference between "reasons" and "justifications" for violence. Please think about that. If you go to try solve these situations then a constant tirade of "we all know you are drug dealing murderers" made in total ignorance oif the history of the conflict is not going to get you anywhere.

One can only conclude you dont want discussion debate or a solution. You just want to rant and bash SF and the IRA. Why? Why dont you apply the same standards to other groups?

Hold on, you're here to;
    I am here to discuss the rights of the Colombia Three and what should happen to them.

but I'm you say
    Please think about that. If you go to try solve these situations then a constant tirade of

So you're limiting your debate to the columbian three, but I'm supposed to discuss the wider geo political situation. You're not just shifting the goal posts you're demanding I debate issues you don't want to.
    I don't think the current invasion and occupation of Iraq was acceptable. I also have opposed Saddam since 1982 when the US were his pals (and the French I might add). I oppose any misuse of force or abuse of human rights (including Saddam as a prisioner I might add). I dont support SF or the IRA. I am here to discuss the rights of the Colombia Three and what should happen to them.

So when you were denying that FARC is terrorist organisation
    ISAW wrote:
    Who says FARC are a terrorist organisation

you were doing what?

And again for the hard of thinking, I'm here to discuss SF's actions and the ramifications for SF as a "democratic party"

Now let us get things straight, are you now claiming that non of the three are IRA?

ISAW. Read my f*cking post. I clarified that they met with FARC and both the men and FARC admitted this. And lose the ' " ' around fact. It's been proven. I'm saying we don't know, and we deserve to find out.

Your argument is that they disnt get killed so they werent in danger. It just does not hold any water. first the three have repeatedly pointed to dodgey situations e.g one being locked up in a communal cell with convicted right wing paramilitaries. Furthermore 25 defence lawyers have been killed since 1998. Urgent action appeals for protection of defense lawyers have been issued by International human rights organisations such as Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch. Two such appeals were issued in 2002 concerning the threes lawye

Em so there's no evidence of threats againist the men. Just their lawyers. Also seeing as they didn't plan on getting locked up with right wing paramilitaries, why did they go to all the trouble before they left to pick up false passports. It's not on the average holiday makers list

A)travellers checks
    B) travel insurance
    C) fake ID
    You were already give the reasons.And it is not for the state to act in the same way as terrorists.

so now you're admitting they're terrorists??? Seriously ISAW make your bloody mind up
    Both should be given the benefit of the doubt. If you cant prove what they did they are assumed innocent.

And again you're right. However their actions and the actions of SF are enough to warrant investigation.
    Let me be quite frank. Are you now admitting you do not believe they were terrorists training FARC or meeting with FARC to plan terrorist activities?

I'm saying I don't know, but I find their excuses and the excuses of SF to be lacking, and I doubt columbian justice will get to the heart of the matter. Therefore i'd like to see an investigation to get to the bottom of it.
    You are turning logic on its head. You claim was that SF denied they knew the three and not that SF later accepted they knew them. My point was that I did not think SF denied them thirty days after they were arrested. I accept I might be wrong but as yet you have produced nothing to show me I am wrong. the above does not do so!

Yes yes it does. The article clearly states that Adams first admission came on oct 21th. Thats a reputable source. The onus is now on you to disprove it.
    You have it arseways again! The point is whether SF denied it 30 days after the arrest! they may well have but you have not shown me that did!

wearily
    On October 22, 2001, Gerry Adams issued a statement clarifying that following "an investigation," it had emerged that, after all, Niall Connolly had been a Sinn Féin representative in Cuba. (see www.rte.ie/news/2001/1022/ira.html).

Interestingly,in his statement on October 21 2001, Adams apologised to the Connolly family for the anguish caused by his repeated denials, but there was no apology to the media or the public for repeatedly lying to them.

ISAW wrote:
    You cant shift the burden like that! this all came out of a discussion about speed of communications. You suggested that on hearing of the arrest that SF continually deinied they knew the three. I stated I might be wrong but I would be surprised if SF denied the three thirty days later. You have not produced anything to support you claim that SF denied the three any time around thiorty days later or later. Indeed I even stated that three weeks later they probably didnt deny them since they probably knew of the link by then. You havent produced a singlke reference showing SF denying them 21 days later and as I stated I might well be wrong. But you havent shown I am!

Yes. Yes I goddamn have and it's wearying debating with someone who can act this way. I've posted the audio link of Adams admission and apology on the 21st of October, up until that point. Adams even says, "it has now" using the current tense. You're quibbling over semantics.
    Unlike you who picks no quotes? Do you know how a reference woirks. One makes a point. One then makes a quote from literature to support the point and supplies a reference to the source of the quote. You apparently think giving a reference is enough without showing a selected quote from it which is what one is meant to do

LOL

Like er, the two amnesty links you provided in your last post?

Hyprocritical much?

I can't believe the double standard you continual express, contradicting yourself a breath after you say something, and demanding I do something you can't be bothered doing.
    I never claimed he was not a convicted IRA man, bomber or otherwise. where did I? If you continue in claiming this you are calling me a liar.

OH FFS, in your previous post you put inverted comma's around fact in THE PREVIOUS POST
    ISAW wrote:
    you pointed to the "fact" of one being a convicted IRA bomber.

Again semantic drift, you've been denying Monaghan was a convicted bomber since your first post, and now our furiously backpeddling.

You're demanding I leap through hoops to prove what I've already proven (for example Monaghan is a bomber)

And then demand I prove it again.
    I asked you to support you list of "facts". This was one you eventually supported. I have no idea when ou originally posted it if you knew any of them had been convicted and what for.

I did, so tell me why were you furiously denying it for so long, and does it change anything for you? (no of course not, just like it won't change anything when you finally get around to listening to that Adams quote)

ISAW wrote:
    I already explained how that pointed to double standards on your part.

then whay post as "facts" about being convicted terrorists or them being arrested with terrorists?

F*cking hysterical, in the middle post you say
    I never claimed he was not a convicted IRA man, bomber or otherwise. where did I?

Now you're back to slapping inverted comma's around the fact, that Monaghan is a convicted terroris.

And again for the hard of thinking I have already admitted that I was incorrect about their being arrested with terrorists However both FARC and the columbian three admit to meeting in FARC territory.

DO. YOU. COMPREHEND?
    where have I done that? I told you already that I dont support SF and they can defend themselves. I have no idea what SF have said on this and it doesnt really interest me in proving them liars. My interest is that the three get justice.

You have, you've defended SF's version of events to the hilt. Jesus, you can't even admit what point you're arguing.

Pray tell how are they going to "get justice"
    You contradict yourself again. Above when I pointed to the main issue of the guilt or innocence of the three and thenm getting justice you point out you are more interested in what SF have to say about that issue than that issue itself!

You've yet to explain how the "three get justice" And while the events are very significant i'm more concerned with their ramification for the peace process.
    I dont think it was absurd that SF leadership didnt know about the issue for about three weeks after the arrests. I dont seriously believe they did know. Maybe they are lying and did know but I believe what the three said from the outset. Whether I believe it or not if You believe they were up to nefarious purposes then care to produce some evidence?

And this is the hilarious part, I'm not saying there are up to no go, you apparently claim SF have some explaining to do, my entire point is the explainations from both SF and the men, are dubious, whether they are guilty or not I don't know I would like some kind of explantion, and investigation, and SFs unwilliness to explain is unacceptable.

Now half the time you've said there needs to explainations and an investigation the rest of the time you go through torturous logic to defend Adams and the men to the hilt. That you give them the benefit of the doubt to an abusrd degree

mycroft wrote:

Now you're back to slapping inverted comma's around the fact, that Monaghan is a convicted terroris.

It is quite clear that you are missing the point here. throughout this whole discussion I have uses "fact" with inverted commas around it because I questioned the so called list of "facts" you postede and which were badly researched opintions and not facts! I never claimed Monaghan was not in the IRA. I questioned it as one of your "facts" and asked you to support it. I also questioned why you posted this fact. Why not not post something like the fact that Monaghan ran a video production enterprise and is skilled in video production?
    And again for the hard of thinking I have already admitted that I was incorrect about their being arrested with terrorists However both FARC and the columbian three admit to meeting in FARC territory.

DO. YOU. COMPREHEND?

YES! I comprehend that your list of "facts" was badly researched and wrong!
    You have, you've defended SF's version of events to the hilt. Jesus, you can't even admit what point you're arguing.

Please inform yourself about events. I dont support SF in general. this is a human rights issue. If the three were loyalists they would have the same right. Or if they were US marines.
    Pray tell how are they going to "get justice"

You just reversed the question I asked you.
    You've yet to explain how the "three get justice" And while the events are very significant i'm more concerned with their ramification for the peace process.

Throughout this thread I pointed to several principles of justice such as assuming innocence until approving guilty, due process, detention without trial etc. I picked up on your "list of facts" because it is from similar non facts that the three were supposed to be training FARC terrorists.
    And this is the hilarious part, I'm not saying there are up to no go, you apparently claim SF have some explaining to do, my entire point is the explainations from both SF and the men, are dubious, whether they are guilty or not I don't know I would like some kind of explantion, and investigation, and SFs unwilliness to explain is unacceptable.

This runs entirely counter to your original assertion in your list of "facts" which I questioned.
    Now half the time you've said there needs to explainations and an investigation the rest of the time you go through torturous logic to defend Adams and the men to the hilt. That you give them the benefit of the doubt to an abusrd degree

I don't care for defending Adams . I defending what I see as abuse of human rights. I would like to know where they got the false doccuments. I would also like to know where the decommissioned arms are buiried. But that has nothing to do with whether they should serve 17 years in Prison.

mycroft wrote:
    cking hysterical, in the middle post you say

Quote:
    I never claimed he was not a convicted IRA man, bomber or otherwise. where did I?

Now you're back to slapping inverted comma's around the fact, that Monaghan is a convicted terroris

I note you have avoided answering the question. where did I ? evasion noted! Monaghan is an experienced video producer as well. what has the fact that he was convicted of anything have to do with Colombia? You are trying to assume guilt by association.

• Advertisement

ISAW wrote:
    I note you have avoided answering the question. where did I ? evasion noted! Monaghan is an experienced video producer as well. what has the fact that he was convicted of anything have to do with Colombia? You are trying to assume guilt by association.

In fairness ISAW you've got to admit sending a bomb maker to the Farc to talk peace was a bit silly when there were plenty of other less contentious candidates to go there.

SF pushing the word out several times after said "observers" were caught on false passports disowning them deserves a lot of flack.
    From my point of view,the guys were acquitted and this was appealed iirc - they should have awaited the full process but at this stage there should at least be some closure here in Ireland now that they are here.
    It's not unprecedented to have a trial regarding something that went on in one country carried out in another.
    In fact theres an Dublin murder trial currently happening in London.
    People will have the view that they were up to no good in Farc land and people are entitled to that view,it's an understandable viewpoint.
    But closure is whats wanted now and in my view that means a trial to hear whatever evidence here in this country.
    The SCC would be ideal.

Advertisement