Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education standards

Options
  • 05-08-2005 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if there is a site which compares each nations education system and standards?
    For eg comparing the standard of teaching in Ireland compared to France, Britain etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

Not that I am aware of. It would be a hard, if not impossible thing to do. There are so many intangibles in comparing educations systems. To get an idea you would really have to have all the students doing the one exam but that is not going to happen. And even then what does one exam tell you…

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

well ima go with my second choice..is there anywhere I can compare examinations...for eg. comparing the LC with A-levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

well a-levels are supposed to be way easier than the leavin cause theres only 3 subjects..

ireland has one of the most difficult education systems in thew world, way harder than america and more difficult than most of europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭In_the_sea

Ireland has one of the best secondand level educations systems in the world ive heard. but look at the suicide rate among leaving cert students. THis country is too much for people with big jobs and the like. Its all about who you are and who you know here!! The leaving cert is only to attract people who can get 600 points so the government can use them to try and skill this coutry with creme of the crop! The leaving cert is not targetted towards people who want to do apprenticships etc. I went to college adn I got sick of it! I was quiet bright in school and never reached my full potential but still leaving cert and college is designed for specific students, which needs to be reviewed. Its so boring asking the coutry to do something because they never do.

well its the only thing along with low corporation tax that keeps this country ahead..

tnc's wudnt come here if we didnt have the skills that we do cause of the difficult education system

so everyone, including non-academic professions wud lose out..

i learned that in economics class :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭In_the_sea

I think this is one of those situations where theres no right answer and neither argument would win...

yeah, its just a debate of which is better, money or happiness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

Wikipedia will give you a good idea. It has breakdowns of each country's education system, standards and resources.

that site is class.. loads of stuff on everythin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Are there actual figures for suicide rates among Leaving Cert students? I've seen a lot of anecdotal evidence but never any statistics... *is curious*
    well ima go with my second choice..is there anywhere I can compare examinations...for eg. comparing the LC with A-levels?

There was a study done/published last year about the LC-versus-A-levels which concluded that for humanities subjects, like English and History, the LC syllabus and A-level syllabus were pretty well-matched, and for science-type subjects, the LC covered the equivalent about 2/3 of the A-level coursework... this was mostly for determining how many points an A-level should be worth over here, I think, and for assessing LC grades in the UK, and the conclusion was that one LC subject should be counted as 2/3 of an A-level subject, meaning that a LC student doing seven (higher-level) subjects is doing the equivalent of nearly five A-levels... only crammed into the space of two weeks instead of dividing it up into coursework and exams, and AS and A levels.

• Advertisement

i prefare it in 2 weeks anyway.. means that you cram at the end and thats it. not under pressure at christmas and halloween etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think that A-levels suit better people who know exactly what they're good at, because you sit three subjects and study it in more depth than the LC - so if you're very scientific you could take Maths, Physics and Chemistry or something and say feck languages. However, the LC suited me better because I do not stand out in any particular area, I'm kinda the same in most of my subjects, so a broader range was better for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

Was there not a prize that ireland won for having a good education system? Something said it was broad and impartial and that it gave good oppertunity, I think I here in on your radio so there must be record. You ask the departmen of education?

Also on subject of A-level, I read in paper some time ago that there problem with A-level, apparently something to do with math? it was in Daliy telegraph over summer I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd like to know a site that does that too... I'd really like to see the Irish education system compared with the USA's system. Every time I talk to an American, they've gotten an A in their last exam. And then when you speak to them, they come across as really stupid. And also, I've noticed that they have vocabulary lessons, so it SEEMS like they're saying something smart, when in actual fact, they're saying something stupid and ignorant. Sorry bout the rant.. I'm just a little disillusioned with Americans, since they voted GWB back in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭sixdraw

I did 8 subjects cause I really like science and maths but I wanted my european language aswell.I want to live abroad for some years and I'm glad I did French,should have done German aswell but the only problem is Irish was a complete waste of time.like I like to see Ireland having its own language but its obselete to be honest and I learnt absoloutley nothing in Irish since 1st year.German would've been really useful to me, instead of wasting my time asleep for 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ahh I think more stress should be placed on Irish, tbh. We can't let our history and culture die just because we don't speak it regularly. It should just be taught differently, rather than the half-assed way the government does it. It should be more to do with learning to speak it fluently than throwing in all the poetry and stories, which most teachers hate teaching, and which students loathe. We should get everyone speaking it fluently, then move on. I wish I had gone to an Irish speaking school, too.

Advertisement