Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys Wireless - security

• 05-08-2005 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

First of all id like to say this board is excellent! I posted yesterday with an issue and was able to resolve it today using the replies I recieved.
    Now that my connections are set up ( 3 pcs connected via wireless to a Linksys router) can anyone advise on how to set up proper sucrity such as WEP etc on my linksys wireless router? Do i have to adjust any settings on each Pc.
    had a look for previous threads but couldnt find anything specific. thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

you need to go into the wireless tab and security then you can use WEP then make sure wep encryption is at 128 bit (26 hex digits)
    then enter a passphrase for keys and press generate
    BTW the passphrase only works between linksys to linksys wireless systems, if your other wireless device is for example d-link you will need to take note of the full default wep key and then enter it to your other wireless device, once all is setup press save settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flagpole

thanks sparky, i have 3 usb adpators - 1 linksys, 2 belkin. so i need to take note of the WEP key and enter it manually in the wireless network settings of the 3 pcs wireless adaptors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

correct

from the screen attached you would enter

2D082D26E0B1914A43A223884B in the wireless settings for each usb adapter and choose key 1 or use the second one cand choose key 2 etc up to you.

Opti

thats very handy optiplex..appreciate ya getting the print screen.

...if i decide to use e.g. 2D082D26E0B1914A43A223884B , do i use that on all my pcs or do i use it on 1 and then use the second key on the second pc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why not use WPA for the security its much easier - only need enter a password into the Linksys and then use that password on the pcs.

read its more secure as well. does that mean the people on the other pcs have to enter the password every time the connect or is the password entered on the pc only once on setting wpa up?
    should i use TKIP or AES as the algorithim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

flagpole wrote:
    ...if i decide to use e.g. 2D082D26E0B1914A43A223884B , do i use that on all my pcs or do i use it on 1 and then use the second key on the second pc etc?
    can use same key on all pcs

Advertisement