Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Making My Computer Crash!

• 05-08-2005 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I got my irish broadband connection today (I was gonna stay away after all I read here, but it was the only option available to me) and surprisingly the connection is great, im getting speeds upto 200k, the only problem is that since getting this connection my computer has a habit of crashing! Anyone got any idea's how to fix this (that dont involve me changing ISP :p )

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Beecher wrote:
    Hi guys, I got my irish broadband connection today (I was gonna stay away after all I read here, but it was the only option available to me) and surprisingly the connection is great, im getting speeds upto 200k, the only problem is that since getting this connection my computer has a habit of crashing! Anyone got any idea's how to fix this (that dont involve me changing ISP :p )

You will have to give people more information. what os are you using? In what circumstances does it crash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Im using windows xp service pack 2, on an athlon 64 system with a built in ethernet port (Realtek RTL8139/810x) where the connection is going into. The computer has crashed while
    1.Twice on startup
    2.A few times while trying to download the battlefield 2 demo
    3.While trying to install half life 2
    4.While using msn

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Edit: Turning off automatic updates has worked so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Do you have

* Firewall
    * Anti Virus

If you don't have Firewall, disconnect your IBB until you do. Just asking for trouble.

Run fully updated anti virus on your computer. Make sure it comes up clean. Always a good place to start.

*EDIT*
    Also, don't label your posts "Problem" or something non discript. Describe your problem briefly in the subject line, hence it's name. You will get far more people reading your post, hence more people may reply.

Edit it if you can.

Okay turning off automatic updates didnt fix it, just seemed to delay it. Yup I have a firewall and antivirus installed.

Did you make any changes at the same time as IBB arrived? Does IBB require you to install anything or just make a network connection? Have you tried a system restore? If you disconnect your ibb is it still crashing?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Did you make any changes at the same time as IBB arrived? Does IBB require you to install anything or just make a network connection? Have you tried a system restore? If you disconnect your ibb is it still crashing?

Nope it does not require any software, its a network connection. I was having crashes since I got it so I have re installed windows and its still happening, and if I disconnect my computer doesnt crash. Its driving me mad :eek: !

Beecher wrote:
    Nope it does not require any software, its a network connection. I was having crashes since I got it so I have re installed windows and its still happening, and if I disconnect my computer doesnt crash. Its driving me mad :eek: !

And you havent even begun to have IBB problems yet!!! :rolleyes:

Well its all fixed, rang IBB and talked to them for ages till we concluded the connection was perfect, so I bought a new ethernet card and a wireless router and its now perfect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Beecher wrote:
    Well its all fixed, rang IBB and talked to them for ages till we concluded the connection was perfect, so I bought a new ethernet card and a wireless router and its now perfect :)

well glad it got sorted for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Thats that sorted...Just keep your fingers crossed that the speeds stay up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

beller b wrote:
    Thats that sorted...Just keep your fingers crossed that the speeds stay up...

next problem on the horizon tbh. :)

Advertisement