Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone get more than 20% reduction with Ignition?

Options
  • 05-08-2005 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I did the ignition course yesterday and found out I passed and got 20% off today. There were quite a few errors pointed out with my driving, good course, free lunch and costs you nothing if you show up:)

Just wondering, did anyone else pass and get more than 20% (Excluding opting for the 11pm-6am curfew 10% discount) off? I got 20%, just wondering why I didn't get say 21% or 23% etc.

You do two assessments, my 2nd was allot safer (verryyyy cautious driving) I scored higher than my 1st, in my first I got mostly 4+3 mark, maybe a 5, in my 2nd I got 3's and 2's. 5 being high and 1 being low risk. I can't really imagine how much safer I could have been. Although I was saying the same thing after the first one, hehe, but the 2nd one was ultra cautious and very safe and went, I thought pretty well.

Has anyone else any experience with this? How did you do? Did anyone get a 1 mark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I got the 20%, never heard of anyone gettin any higher. Just an incentive I'd say to get people to do it hoping that they might get better than the 20% but in reality nobody does.....but that's all hearsay I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How did you do on your marking sheet? I'd love to be in the same car as someone who gets all 1's, see how they drive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

cormie wrote:
    How did you do on your marking sheet? I'd love to be in the same car as someone who gets all 1's, see how they drive :rolleyes:
    Can't remember at this stage tbh it was so long ago, I remember though I certainly didn't all 1's. I do remember her not givin me full marks for certain things that I thought I should have and that she had commented on during the drive test that I was doing particularly well. A scam maybe to ensure that I didn't get the 30%, who knows

On the 2nd drive I tried to match her "demonstration drive" as much as possible, and she actually got in quite a mess on hers, just one incident, not much but still, funny to see. I feel I did do everything on the 2nd drive very low risk, as low as she was for definite. I'd love to know if anyone got more than 20% :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Just the 20% for me too.

• Advertisement

Hmmmmm. I might bug them to give me more, see what happens. IAM have no control over it, they just send it back to Hibernian and Hibernian put it through a system and that decides. Maybe it's crashed and only gives 20% to everyone :rolleyes:

I just found out that I have been given back €205 from getting the 20% reduction.

So my premium was €1430 which I took out March 4th I think, so €1430 / 12 (months) is €120 lets say, March 4th - August 5th = 5 months say, so that's €120 x 5 = 600. €1430 - €600 = €830. So if I was to take out a policy for the next 7 months it would be €830 given the same circumstances. 20% of €830 is €166 but yet I'm getting €205 back onto the credit card :confused: They say its pro rata. Am I leaving something out here? Unless I actually got 25% discount (25% of €830 is about €205) :confused:

Or maybe they are just basing the discount on my current criteria because I did a mock quote on tesco.ie and it was 1246 with the same criteria I had for when it was 1430. So 1246/12x5=€520, 1246-520=€726. 20% of 726 is €145. I'm confused. Suppose I should be happy I'm getting €205 back, just curious where it came from :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

just the 20% for me too, still better than a kick in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

20% for me too. Never heard of anyone doing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

When I worked mine out it worked out at about 22.45% or something like that Twas 2 years ago so can't remember exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cormie wrote:
    You do two assessments, my 2nd was allot safer (verryyyy cautious driving) I scored higher than my 1st, in my first I got mostly 4+3 mark, maybe a 5, in my 2nd I got 3's and 2's.
    Oh good. Same as me then. I did mine on Friday, have to give them a buzz about it tomorrow. Pretty much lowered all of my scores by 1 on the second drive. Very useful course I thought, it's already helped my driving.

One of the guys who was doing it with me said they have a quota of people they have to fail, I forget what reason he said went with it. So good luck:) If you get more than 20% asses will be kicked!! I checked a quote on a 1.4 Focus compared to my 1l Micra, it's €500 dearer :eek: that's a bit much!! That's 1.5 times the price of my current insurance:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I scored mostly 1's a few years ago and I believe the discount was nearly 30%. But 30% of what? since they won't quote unless you do the course!!

Nice one, well done! well if you have your booking code, go to www.tesco.ie, fill in a quote form without the code and then fill it in with the code, see what the difference is:)

whippet wrote:
    I scored mostly 1's a few years ago and I believe the discount was nearly 30%. But 30% of what? since they won't quote unless you do the course!!
    The tesco online yokie will give you a quote, but stipulates that you must do the Ignition course before it can proceed. If I passed, I'll let you know if I get 20% off what tesco quoted me, or if that is the 20% off price.

seamus wrote:
    The tesco online yokie will give you a quote, but stipulates that you must do the Ignition course before it can proceed. If I passed, I'll let you know if I get 20% off what tesco quoted me, or if that is the 20% off price.

That's just for provisional though right? You can get a quote with Tesco without passing privisional as long as you are fully licensed right?

I got a Tesco policy after passing the provisional ignition, then I got my full license, it wasn't compulsory to do Ignition but I did anyway, but if I didn't, I'd still just be a fully license driver on the Policy.

cormie wrote:
    That's just for provisional though right? You can get a quote with Tesco without passing privisional as long as you are fully licensed right?
    Nope. If you're not already a policyholder with Hibernian, and you passed your test less than 5 years ago, then Tesco/Hibernian won't insure you without passing Ignition. Though if you have three years' Named Driver or NCB I think they let that count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭joeyrat

I think that Ignition thing is a rip off & a joke! I have a family member who works in head office in Hibernian. When I got full license, I decided to get own insurance. They said under no circumstance would they cover me (I was 24) & if I did ignition course it would still cost me 1400+. (I had been a named driver for 4 years with no accidents) Irish Law had just confirmed I could drive, I don't feel I should have to prove myself to them also, just for them to rip me off. Without any questions I went to Quinn direct & got my own insurance for 540. How much of a percentage discount is that!!!!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

20% here too (i think mostly 3's).
    I booked to avail of a tesco quote and there was no reduction after completing the course, girl from tesco said it's already built-in to the quote (so even if you can get more than 20% it wouldn't make a difference)
    Happy with the quote though:
    1.4 '94 Astra / male aged 24 / Full Lic. / TPF&T = €550

conical wrote:
    20% here too (i think mostly 3's).
    I booked to avail of a tesco quote and there was no reduction after completing the course, girl from tesco said it's already built-in to the quote (so even if you can get more than 20% it wouldn't make a difference)
    Happy with the quote though:
    1.4 '94 Astra / male aged 24 / Full Lic. / TPF&T = €550
    Aye, just checked it there, and I've passed. The original quote from Tesco stands. You also get a €50 discount for applying online, which leaves me just shy of €1700 fully comp. Still a full €500 cheaper then the next cheapest quote I got :eek:

I think the Ignition course itself is very good, if it is a bit unfair to insist that you do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I got 30% back when I was eligible. I pwned the ignition test :)

Nice, it's a pitty you can't do it again, I asked them and they said no, I'd do it again tomorrow if I could and just drive mentally well.

I was also just onto Tesco cust service and was saying that my ignition pin wouldn't work on the site (I was just doing a few mock quotes on bigger cars etc) and they said to ring them up if I wanted the proper quote, then I said "Or could I just deduct 20% from the final price?" and he said yes :confused: so that would mean it's not already built into the price, unless he just said that without thinking.

I think it's a good system anyway, you get a good education of the roads (although I was Mr. KnowItAll in the room before hitting the road answering the most questions, teachers pet:p and most of that was because of various shoite I've read here:D)

If the conditions of being on the policy mean you have to show competence by passing Ignition then I'm happy being on a policy that will probably remain cheap(er) if all it's policy holders are less accident prone. That still doesn't mean I'm not going to ring around looking for a better quote come the end of my current policy though, wonder what price I'll be looking at next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

cormie wrote:
    I was also just onto Tesco cust service and was saying that my ignition pin wouldn't work on the site (I was just doing a few mock quotes on bigger cars etc)

probably due to the fact that the ignition discount is only for cars of 1600cc or less.

whippet wrote:
    probably due to the fact that the ignition discount is only for cars of 1600cc or less.

Well, by bigger I mean bigger than my Micra, which is almost every other car out there;) I was trying a 1.4 Focus! :)

As far as I know, the PIN/Booking ref will only work on the Tesco website, if you booked Ignition through Tesco, as opposed to Hibernian. That is, I rang up Tesco last week and booked through them, whereas a guy who was with me on the course booked through Carole Nash, then tried to ring up Hibernian directly to get some details or other, and was told he'd have to ring the Broker.

yep, I did everything through Tesco, the guy on the phone didn't know what was happening so I don't really know what the story is :confused:

Booking ref worked fine for me through the Tesco website, bought my insurance today.

Weird.

You're talking about the Full license one now?

were you already with Tesco? What booking ref exactly? How many digits is it? I just got a 6 digit pin ref number. Did you get your confirmation of completion letter from Ignition? I got it and it only has the pin, no quotation ref (obviously because I'm already with them and it wasn't for a new quote)

Full licence one, yep. I used the 6-digit delegate PIN. Haven't got a confirmation letter yet. It stood to reason that if the Tesco website asked for a booking ref for Ignition, then it has access to the ignition database, and whether you passed or failed. So I checked on Friday, to see if I was right - put in my PIN, told me the quoting engine was down, try again later (though the quote engine worked fine without the booking ref in). Tried again this morning, still no joy. Tried again just after 10, and it worked! Rang up Tesco afterwards just to confirm, and everything's hunky.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm. Did you get the same error I did? That booking ref is invalid? I was using the delegate pin too. :confused:

So what are your credentials (age/car/experience etc) and what's the end result with your quote?

Advertisement