Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'connell street

• 06-08-2005 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

can anyone tell me why it takes 2 years to repave 200 meters ? wtf are they at, jaysus in the same timespan hitlers nazi's managed 1200 kilometers of autobahn :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Because it's the irish, that's why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I didn't even know they were still at that. Seems like any other part of the landscape to me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Gee, what a nice first post...

Positive outlook imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Damned if I know why it's taken 'em so long. They can hurry when they have to, remember last March when they had to have a whole section done by Paddy's day, they fairly flew at for a few weeks. Could be cynical and say they're getting paid per hour, why should they rush?
    When I go by in the morning, there's probably less than 15 people on the whole site and half o them don't seem to be doing much. They defn'y seem to do this type of job a whole lot faster on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

It's obvious, the path-makers have somehow become stuck in a reverse-time paradox. Don't mess with technology.

• Advertisement

It's obvious, the path-makers have somehow become stuck in a reverse-time paradox. Don't mess with technology.

Ha! classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Bodka

you have to admit its ridiculous, the main thoroughfare of our capital city has been in bits for years when if taken seriously the job could have been done in weeks at most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

their taking their time because you cant work as good as you can when your half pissed

Sparky_S wrote:
    their taking their time because you cant work as good as you can when your half pissed

be serious for a second, WHY has it taken years to repave a couple of hundred meters, am I the only one baffled as to why this wasnt done in a month and majorly pissed off at the disruptions :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

They took down all the trees in one day though, I suppose that sort of destructive energy requires a good few weeks of rest to follow it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I'll give you an answer after my teabreak Bodka.

Bodka wrote:
    be serious for a second, WHY has it taken years to repave a couple of hundred meters, am I the only one baffled as to why this wasnt done in a month and majorly pissed off at the disruptions :confused:

You're right. It's a farce, unless there's a reason we don't know about it, its ridiculous.

Maybe they don't have poseable thumbs like us humans do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

grimloch wrote:
    You're right. It's a farce, unless there's a reason we don't know about it, its ridiculous.

hmm, nail, head. None of us know whats involved with a job like that.

Bodka wrote:

Did you ever think that maybe thats how long it takes for this particular type of job. I dont see any builders standing over you telllng you where your going wrong in your job and how to do it properly.

A lot more is involved than just chucking the paving stones down and hopeing they match. Foundations and preparation work takes months before they can even start the actual laying. A couple of hundred metres might not sound like much but its not exactly a group of pikeys doing a half assed job on your driveway.

Stekelly wrote:

Did you ever think that maybe thats how long it takes for this particular type of job. I dont see any builders standing over you telllng you where your going wrong in your job and how to do it properly.

A lot more is involved than just chucking the paving stones down and hopeing they match. Foundations and preparation work takes months before they can even start the actual laying. A couple of hundred metres might not sound like much but its not exactly a group of pikeys doing a half assed job on your driveway.

Is it not only being repaved though? Foundations would hardly be required for that would they?

lets be true to fact here
    if they were doing it at a set price: it would be finished quicker or they would lose money in overtime
    if they are doing it at time plus material: they will take their time because their getting paid by the hour so it can take as long as it takes.

Stekelly wrote:

Word

Ah no - it's taken them bleedin ages and it's disrupting stuff a lot on the street. Surely they could be working the weekends to get it done quicker. How long is it now since they started?

edanto wrote:
    Ah no - it's taken them bleedin ages and it's disrupting stuff a lot on the street. Surely they could be working the weekends to get it done quicker. How long is it now since they started?

2 years I'm told.

edanto wrote:

And would you like to work weekends in your job?

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:

whats involved, tear up old bricks lay new ones, foundations ? its not a skyscraper they are putting up, its a feckin path, in the same time they have been laying that path the dundrum town center has been built and opened, plus or minus a few months (but that was comercial )

if its public you can bet it will take longer and double the budget allowed.

BTW its tea time again lads.

Sparky_S wrote:
    if its public you can bet it will take longer and double the budget allowed.

BTW its tea time again lads.

im trying to be all angry, stop making me laugh, bold !!

And would you like to work weekends in your job?

No, but eh, I don't really like building work either. What's that got to do with the length of time it's taken them? It disrupts tourism, traffic and shoppers - I think it's worth paying people to work weekends (if they want) to get it done quickly.

Anyroads - like Sparky says, time for a cuppa tea.

two suger's please..........ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Maybe it'll be like that giant red bridge in American (golden gate bridge? can't think of the name)..the one that takes so long to paint, that once they're done, they have to start all over again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Because it's the irish, that's why!

Lovely. You think that isn't an irish attitude :rolleyes:

When did you last vote or get involved in politics?

Are you a solution are part of the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Orginisation has to be the thing Ireland is worst at. Honestly even with our reputation for booze, we couldnt orginise a piss up in a brewery!

Last night I went for a jog down the peir in Dun Laoghaire of which half is closed for renovations. One of the main highlights of Dun Laoghaire is closed, in the busy season for repairs. Why cant they do this in Febuary, March, April - the weather is good enough!

The Dart - for the third time (and we have a fourth time coming) over three years the dart is shut down on weekends on the south side to elongate the platforms, do some repairs and make them wheelchair excessible. When I lived in New York they were doing this but not one subway that I saw was ever delayed or cancelled. They did it at night! Pay the people a little extra, if the irish ****ers wont do it we have countless eaastern european workers here waiting for a chance to prove themselves, they are hard working and would have a seisure gettting a wage packet like the Irish workers do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Bodka wrote:
    can anyone tell me why it takes 2 years to repave 200 meters ? wtf are they at, jaysus in the same timespan hitlers nazi's managed 1200 kilometers of autobahn :confused:

It's O'Parkinson's Law. Pretty much the same as regular Parkinsons Law except you double the timeframe and triple the hourly rate.

• Advertisement

joejoem wrote:
    Orginisation has to be the thing Ireland is worst at. Honestly even with our reputation for booze, we couldnt orginise a piss up in a brewery!

Last night I went for a jog down the peir in Dun Laoghaire of which half is closed for renovations. One of the main highlights of Dun Laoghaire is closed, in the busy season for repairs. Why cant they do this in Febuary, March, April - the weather is good enough!

The Dart - for the third time (and we have a fourth time coming) over three years the dart is shut down on weekends on the south side to elongate the platforms, do some repairs and make them wheelchair excessible. When I lived in New York they were doing this but not one subway that I saw was ever delayed or cancelled. They did it at night! Pay the people a little extra, if the irish ****ers wont do it we have countless eaastern european workers here waiting for a chance to prove themselves, they are hard working and would have a seisure gettting a wage packet like the Irish workers do!
    agree with you there.
    one example in my area of work is getting electricial gear, order it from the wholesalers and they are slow or if you need them to order a part, there really slack about it, so we have an accout with meteor electricial up north and believe it or not order stuff say today(if it wasnt the weekend) and it would be here tomorrow morning, is that effeciency or what, while down here your still waiting.
    and dont expect any thing to be done on a moday or friday here either.
    its no wonder our european friends are getting all the jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

joejoem wrote:

One word - Unions. Unions ensure only certain amounts of hours and work are done, and that people dont get replaced en mass with cheap foreign labour and lose their jobs. Unions have good and bad points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

joejoem wrote:

Its very true. Same with most roadworks in organised countries. THey all do it at night. If that happened here, there would be of course people complaining about noise.

Lovely. You think that isn't an irish attitude :rolleyes:

When did you last vote or get involved in politics?

Are you a solution are part of the problem?

gawd, some people :rolleyes:

gawd, some people
    .....? :confused:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

The DART works can't take place at night since so many people live by the lines. There are a couple of threads about it in commuting. O'Connell St, though, could be done quicker. I think bodka was originally wondering why it's taken so long. Anyone know?
    One reason might be since they're replacing all the drainage and electrics - so they need to have different teams working at different times and are doing it slowly since it all has to happen in a particular order.

They can get their finger out when they have to (like last Paddy's day) and the Council shoud put a bit of pressure on the contractors to finish it.

bodka, if this is really bugging you, you might find someone who knows the answer in commuting or dublin city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The bit in front of the GPO should be done, where the pavement is the same colour scheme as the road. It is crazy and very dangerous. A lot of people are walking onto the road there.

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote:
    The bit in front of the GPO should be done, where the pavement is the same colour scheme as the road. It is crazy and very dangerous. A lot of people are walking onto the road there.

happened to me once untill i noticed a moped hoping up on to the footpath.

i felt like a stupido:o

It is dangerous Sparky. It has been pointed out to the council by a lot of people, but they aren't going to do anything about it. It's madness.

Flukey wrote:
    It is dangerous Sparky. It has been pointed out to the council by a lot of people, but they aren't going to do anything about it. It's madness.

I can't remember the exact logistics of the situation but is the path elevated from the roadside? Even if it was the same colour but at different level it would be pretty hard I'd think to mistake if for a path.

it is, when your walking and looking but when your reading texts and half walking you tend to forget, thats why i felt so stupid when i noticed

There is a slight lip, but the thing is that along the rest of the street the colours are fine. It is just on that section that you have the same kind of tiling and colour scheme for what is the road and footpath. It is ridiculous and very dangerous. It is very easy to stray out if you were not familiar with it, let alone if you have bad sight. I know people with very good eyesight that have done it. They should reverse the colour scheme around there to make a clear distinction. It is only common sense to do so. I don't know what "genius" came up with the idea of having it all the same.

• Advertisement

I'm not surprised. I'll take a wander up there on Monday to investigate the situation for meself. But the chances of anything being done about it?

Keep close to the GPO if you do :) and there seemingly is no plans to do anything about.

edanto wrote:
    bodka, if this is really bugging you, you might find someone who knows the answer in commuting or dublin city.

yes it is really bugging me, and I'm pretty amazed nobody is making an issue of it, it's such a joke at this stage, two ****ing year's to pave 200 meters :mad: , think I'll phone the council and scream at somebody,

by the time they are finished they will have spent half the time it took to build the 6.6 million tonne hoover dam in paving 200 meters of street..... what a joke, I'd be laughing if I wasn't so mad

Bodka wrote:
    yes it is really bugging me, and I'm pretty amazed nobody is making an issue of it, it's such a joke at this stage, two ****ing year's to pave 200 meters :mad: , think I'll phone the council and scream at somebody,

by the time they are finished they will have spent half the time it took to build the 6.6 million tonne hoover dam in paving 200 meters of street..... what a joke, I'd be laughing if I wasn't so mad

i personally dont take it a serious as you are, none the less your voice should be heard, so good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Flukey wrote:
    Keep close to the GPO if you do :) and there seemingly is no plans to do anything about.

Of course there's not. It is what they decided to do so end of discussion.

Even more dangerous is the surface, it is polished stone (granite afaik) and in the wet provides no traction at all, there have been lots of accidents caused by vehicles aquaplaning on a film of water at relatively low speeds and DCC have done nothing to solve it.

John R wrote:

Even more dangerous is the surface, it is polished stone (granite afaik) and in the wet provides no traction at all, there have been lots of accidents caused by vehicles aquaplaning on a film of water at relatively low speeds and DCC have done nothing to solve it.

imagine the implications that would have on a biker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

I believe they sandblasted this area last year to provide better traction.
    John R wrote:

Advertisement