Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our far right orientation?

Options
  • 06-08-2005 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Www.nationmaster.com statistically finds Ireland to be the worlds number one nation in terms of far right political orientation.

As this is not reflected in our actual parliament, are we therefore also worlds number one in terms of bogus representation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Nevada wrote:
    Www.nationmaster.com statistically finds Ireland to be the worlds number one nation in terms of far right political orientation.

As this is not reflected in our actual parliament, are we therefore also worlds number one in terms of bogus representation?

It's rubbish. For instance, take http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_gdp_cap
    Compare to more reliable sources. Take ANY of their graphs and compare to reliable osurces, in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

According to the most reliable surveys/polls/etc taken in the last ten years, Ireland was found to have a population more likely than most to describe itself as right or centre-right on the political spectrum - and yet this population was more likely than any other country in Europe bar Sweden to endorse classic Left or centre-left legislation!

I can't remember the polls exactly, but I have them somewhere, and I'll post em here when I find em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

ziggy67 wrote:
    Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and PD's are all right wing IMO although only the PD's come close to what i'd class as far right.

Leaving Labour,Sinn Fein & Greens as the left-wing parties and Labour has sold out to Fine Gael.

Not exactly a broad spectrum!

There are no socially right-wing parties in this country. (Except Christian Solidarity, but they're barking mad). Most are economically centrist, veering a bit to the left or right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

but the PDs don't push the liberal agenda nearly as hard as they are supposed to.

To be honest I cant see the PDs pushing the Liberal agenda, with someone like McDowell holding one of their key ministerial positions.

Although i am far from being a PD supporter i must commend Mary Harney`s sensibel approach, in suggesting that the morning after pill be made more available, she didnt deserve all the stick she got from the religous right in this country over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

daveirl wrote:

I agreed with his Cafe bar proposal, Abolition of the death penalty was a constitutional ammendment voted on by the people. Mcdowell`s proposed criminal justice bill calls for on the spot fines, and the introduction of ASBOs, i wouldn`t call it liberal considering it has been criticised by the ICCL. Mcdowell also cut back on thursday night opening hours and banned drinks promotions, whether you agree with those measures or not they are still illiberal. He has also deployed a disproportionate amount of security at protests, and has examined the idea of allowing the police to use ''less than lethal weapons'' like tear gas. Many liberalisations came when the PDs weren`t in power, decriminalisation of homosexual acts, and liberalisation of contraceptions was done by a Labour Party Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I completely approve of ASBOs. They may not be liberal, but they seem to be the only effective way of targetting one of the most prevalent problems in our society today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement