Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stargate FPS game gets canned :(

• 06-08-2005 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

It seems the folks who were developing this game were not up to the gig and now the game is sitting on the never to be released shelf :(

Looked ok last few screenshots they released.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Fair play to the publishers for canning it, I say. How many other publishers care if the games they release are crap? Most would just go and advertise the **** out of it, capitalise on all the stargate fans buying it because of the brand. If the publishers thought that it wasn't good enough for release, it must have been really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I was just about to post this when i saw it on gateworld.

full story here:

www.gateworld.net/news/2005/08/jowoodscrapsistargatesg-1i.shtml

I'm a little pissed that we might not get the game now but happy to hear they are protecting the quality of the show i've loved for so long. was really hoping to have this as my christmas stocking filler since the termination of the far cry Mod Far Gate, which looked really cool. heres hoping to a Xmas 2006 release?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

MrPinK wrote:
    Fair play to the publishers for canning it, I say. How many other publishers care if the games they release are crap? Most would just go and advertise the **** out of it, capitalise on all the stargate fans buying it because of the brand. If the publishers thought that it wasn't good enough for release, it must have been really bad.

I think there is way more to this than just the game not being good enough tho. The JowooD dude has released some serious ****e games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That's true....take a look at some of the crappy flops they have under their belt.

Still though, high expectations for it to be on next gen consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Not surprised about this and I'm actually quite pleased. From the E3 previews I saw of this game it was unbelieveably woeful. Releasing it would have tarnished the entire franchise and caused me to spend a fortune on something that would have probably become a very shiny and expensive coaster.

Well done to a publisher actually looking like they care about game quality (even if it was unintentional)!

• Advertisement

Dunners wrote:
    Well done to a publisher actually looking like they care about game quality
    Yeah...either that or they ran out of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Looks like it mighnt be canned after all!

From [linkd=theInquirer]http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25355[/linkd]

Stargate SG-1 videogame to continue development

Devs suing publisher JoWood

By Aaron McKenna: Friday 12 August 2005, 09:42

WE ALWAYS LOVE a good cat fight and after reporting on Austrian publisher JoWood’s – yes, sorry we said they were German, but it's all Dutch to us – cancellation of the Stargate SG-1 videogame and its demands to have all the code given back to them it would seem that the Australian developers of the game are fighting back.

In a press release developer’s perception got out their stinging language and said:

"Perception Pty Ltd would like to rectify certain statements that have been made to the press by JoWooD Productions. To be clear, Perception is the official licensee of MGM on Stargate SG-1: The Alliance. Any suggestion that JoWooD has rights to Stargate SG-1: The Alliance upon termination of the contract is incorrect and not based on commercial or legal fact."

Development on the game will continue uninterrupted at Perception's Sydney studio. Perception is committed to giving fans the best gaming experience possible.

Ben Lenzo, CEO of Perception said, "We view it as unfortunate that JoWooD would elect to make such misleading and libelous comments to the media and the marketplace. Over the last 9 months, JoWooD has openly acknowledged being in breach of contract in a number of areas including many legal and confidentiality breaches as well as several financial defaults for work performed by Perception and accepted by JoWooD."

Perception has tried to work with JoWooD to resolve these issues for months but to no avail. This resulted in several breach notices being served on JoWooD, giving them ample time to remedy. As these newest issues had not been resolved by the August 5th 2005, Perception gave notice that all outstanding issues would need to be resolved by Monday August 8th 2005, or Perception would terminate its contract with JoWooD.

"It's disappointing to hear of this so called termination via the press on the basis of a "get in first" tactic. This further suggests that JoWooD do not understand the terms of the contract. We are not surprised by their behavior or lack of appreciation for the goodwill Perception has afforded JoWooD on many occasions," said Lenzo

Perception has begun personal prosecution proceedings against both the CEO, Albert Seidl and the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of JoWooD, Andreas Rudas, for the libelous comments made in their press release and will use all legal remedies available to it for the substantial monies owed to it by JoWooD.

"Perception will not allow its name to be tarnished in such a manner and view such matters extremely seriously and will always protect the reputation of our staff, our products, licensing partners and the company."

Perception will not discuss any further the outstanding issues with JoWooD in public as legal action is underway. We look forward to the release of Stargate SG-1: The Alliance. This should be an interesting intermission between AMD vs. Intel and Microsoft vs. The World. µ

I see this legal battle tieing up production for some time.

A long time.

Advertisement