Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skydsl

• 06-08-2005 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

i knows its been posted here about them before im thinking of orsering a 16MB/s package................

Download traffic included
    Priority 1 Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited
    Priority 2 or 3 500 MB 2,000 MB 4,000 MB
    Per additional MB
    1.5 ct in Prio 2 2.9 ct in Prio 3 3.9 ct in Prio 4 4.9 ct in Prio 5 9.9 ct in Prio 6

whatexactly is meant by priority 1 2 or 3

also whats the storey with uploading is it 2 way satellite or what????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The SkyDSL service is a one-way satellite connection. It requires a reverse channel via a telephone modem, GPRS, ISDN or other Internet link in order to connect.

No good for games, VoIP or latency sensative applicatons.

Also, they have a coverage map at the bottom of that page, unless you know something I don't, they don't come ANYWHERE near Ireland. They barely cover Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

weeder wrote:
    i knows its been posted here about them before im thinking of orsering a 16MB/s package................

also whats the storey with uploading is it 2 way satellite or what????

As pointed out above, coverage is weak for Ireland but not worth the hassle. If you want downloads and maybe isdn/dsl kinda speeds from then i advise: http://www.europeonline.com/

Its been years since i used EON but as they have survived i assume they are still the best.

In reality, satellite suits downloads only[time allocated] and not real time stuff like surfing and downloading as lag is huge [even for modem upload and twice as bad for two-way] and also bandwidth is tiny compared to even a home network.

EON when i used it was great for downloads as each user had server space allocated to them. You could fetch a film to your space and then download it at 4mb/sec. The community evolved into everyone sharing the files the uploaded to their server space. I believe this is still done on EON.

Satellite is perfect for this: one file is sent, but thousands or even millions can recieve that file at the same time, speed and quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

IrishWAN is a reasonable alternative in Wexford, depending on where you're at. You may also want to keep in mind that Clearwire are launching in Wexford within the next three months or something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

chern0byl wrote:
    As pointed out above, coverage is weak for Ireland but not worth the hassle. If you want downloads and maybe isdn/dsl kinda speeds from then i advise: http://www.europeonline.com/

Its been years since i used EON but as they have survived i assume they are still the best.

I see europeonline.com has a connection with www.broadband4ireland.net what do you think of the latter service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

IrishTLR wrote:
    No good for games, VoIP or latency sensative applicatons.

Also, they have a coverage map at the bottom of that page, unless you know something I don't, they don't come ANYWHERE near Ireland. They barely cover Italy.

em they do - my colleuge is currently testing there service and also using is via a sky dsl box or internal modem and is averaging speeds of 5-600kbps (b-dsl) and upto 2mbps (Internal Modem).
    When I was at the office last week with all the bad weather and still we had download speeds in excess of 1.1mbps (Internal Modem). We're still testing the system (Well he is - I'm a lazy sod lol + he knows more than me :( ) but overall first impressions is that at minimum your going to get 5-600kbps download speed.

He's also trying to figure out how to get this working in conjunction with two way satelite. So the download comes via the higher speed unlimited download not the two way. It is supposed to work but as yet he's been unable to get the config right. Other than that we can't find a fault with it.

Position I suppose could be an issue so for that reason I live in the South West (Cork) - Maybe as more people take the plunge and test/use it and give feedback on what there signal/download speed is like we could build up a clearer picture and do a better comparison to existing services?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

yo guys thanks for the help i dont think im going to be ordering this simply because im a gamer

i already have dsl but that looked extreme fast

Advertisement