Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Previous claim as a named driver

Options
  • 06-08-2005 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

I made a claim 2 years ago as a named driver on my mothers policy.
    I'm now trying to get my own car sorted etc.
    When getting quotes for insurance, someone has told me that I dont have to mention the claim as it wasnt under my policy.
    Is this right or wrong? Seems wrong to me, but it'll save me about €1400 so I thought I'd ask!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

If it was me i wouldn't say anything to them, it wasn't your policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yes it will affect you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

It depends. FBD for example will give you a ncb based on named driver experience but would of course require documentation to the effect that you never claimed.

If you are not relying on the experience for the quote then I wouldn't mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Assuming I didnt mention that I'd been previously insured, surely there is some kind of database that cross checks your license number or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No sure on this one myself.

But if they cover you based on you having say a 1 year NCB as a named driver but this information is not true. If you have to make a claim or someone else makes a claim off of your policy and the insurance company find out that you didn't disclose this information then your policy is void and they would be within their right to refuse to pay out the claim. So technically by not disclosing this information you could be driving around without insurance.

Might be less risky not mentioning the named driver experience at all, but of course this will mean a initial higher premium but at least you know you are covered.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

• Advertisement

Well I wouldnt mention the previous experience, it's still €1000 cheaper :s
    But if i didnt mention any previous experience etc is there still a national database or something that goes by license number?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You are obliged to mention when asked, any details requested by the insurer. Failure to do so, will result in your insurance policy being invalid. Simple as.

I don't think there's any way of getting by it on technicalities. For example, Quinn-direct's online quote system asks have you any claims in the previous five years. However, their T's & C's say
    You or any named drivers must not have had any accidents or claims within the last 5 years or have any claims pending
    Although claims are against the policy, the liable person is the person who was driving the car at the time. The other driver claims against the *driver*, who then uses the insurance company to cover their liability. If you ever see documentation relating to court cases dealing with RTA's, it always says "Party 1 vs. Party 2", not "Party 1 vs Insurer X".

By failing to disclose the information, you are driving around uninsured, and you would be seriously, seriously boned should you have an accident and the deception is uncovered. Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    By failing to disclose the information, you are driving around uninsured, and you would be seriously, seriously boned should you have an accident and the deception is uncovered. Not worth it.

Indeed it isn't. Should somebody badly hurt, in a crash caused by you, claim against you and you are uninsured, you will be handing over every cent you've got (after basic necessities) for the rest of your life!

Cool.
    Thats what I needed to hear.
    I thought it was ridiculous that I could not mention it.
    This year will be expensive but next year will be cheap! I'll just have to take the plunge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

What kind of claim did you make out of interest.
    Why didnt your mother make the claim, it wouldnt affect her so much as you, financially.

• Advertisement

Well i had the accident, so I had to make the claim! it was a third party claim.

Advertisement