Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€10 K to Spend

Options
  • 06-08-2005 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

Okay got a 10K loan and I am looking to buy a saloon type car.

Octavia,Bora etc etc.

Anyone idea's, I want a little bit of style and room, have a baby coming hence the space requirement.

Has to be no more than 1.6 Litre

So idea's car experts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Saloon type car:

Ocatvia/Bora - both based on the golf, you can add a seat toledo which is basically the same car, personally id pick the octavia over the other two

Ocatvia and or toledo should get a decent one for 10k

you would also get a very nice 1.6 alfa romeo 156 for 10k possibly 01 with a decent spec, thats what i would go for, id imagine a bigger car than the other two maybe im wrong?

or finally a nice new shape mondeo ive seen a few at that price

only prob most 1.6ltr cars are poverty spec, can you stretch to 1.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyrus wrote:

Apart from my 1.6 Alfa - as well specified, if not better, than the 1.8 and pretty nippy too. check my sig for more details.

just on the point of style, to be fair in my opinion the bora really has none

and of the other cars mentioned none match the 156

however twenty experts will be along to tell you to avoid the 156 like the plague because they know a guy and he said its unreliable and no VAG (all the others are VAG cars) has ever broken down ;)

indeed eoin pardon me :D

Generally its true but a lot of the 156 1.6s are sportivo so have a decent spec was more referring to the VAG cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Cyrus wrote:
    Saloon type car:

Ocatvia/Bora - both based on the golf, you can add a seat toledo which is basically the same car, personally id pick the octavia over the other two

Ocatvia and or toledo should get a decent one for 10k

you would also get a very nice 1.6 alfa romeo 156 for 10k possibly 01 with a decent spec, thats what i would go for, id imagine a bigger car than the other two maybe im wrong?

or finally a nice new shape mondeo ive seen a few at that price

On the Hibernian Ignition scheme hence the restiction in engine size otherwise I would go for a 1.9 TDI

Octavia's are in the lead with me have a fabia for sale and love skoda's as they are so easy to maintain and service yourself to a degree.

I twill have a look at that Alfa aswell :)

• Advertisement

Whats the boot size like in the 156

woody wrote:

It's pretty standard sized. My dad also has a 156, and it passed the "golf bag" test - which for him is the most important feature in a car for him :)

There could be a remote possibility I could be interested in the next few weeks.

What is the BHP and Fuel Ecomony like on average ?

Not too sure about either, but I get around 330 miles from 45 euros but that is all city driving. I think it is around 115 BHP (I know the new model is 120 BHP).

Getting the car valeted this week, so will update my "for sale" thread when that is done.

Cool with talk to the Boss (missus) and see what can be done as it has a potential for subtle and nice modding and hopefully also I get the fabia sold and we will all be sorted.

Watch this space.

• Advertisement

woody wrote:
    Cool with talk to the Boss (missus) and see what can be done as it has a potential for subtle and nice modding and hopefully also I get the fabia sold and we will all be sorted.

Watch this space.

Grand stuff - I am considering a part exchange so let me know if you decide to post the fabia in the FS: motors section?

Eoin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=285767

Here ya go will be posting pics tomorrow, when I get the bro in laws digital camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

heres a... slaps head must read post properly..here is a very good car if a little over your budget.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=251000

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If your choice is between an Alfa 156 and a Skoda Octavia (both are excellent cars for the markets they are intended for) then it much depends on what you expect of your car. If you are a keen driver and expect great handling, get the Alfa. If you want a good family car that is reliable and will give you a lot of value for money, get the Octavia. Also see below
    woody wrote:
    What is the BHP and Fuel Ecomony like on average ?

The 1.6 is 120BHP. Fuel Economy is crap compared to similar cars if you like to put your foot down
    woody wrote:

Average. The boot in the Skoda Octavia however is massive, as big as the boot in my BMW 7-series

Hope that helps

cheers unkel and lads

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I'd go for the Octavia, I have one myself and if you have a child on the way you realy do need a big boot. But also you need a boot thats handy to get stuff into and with the Octavia having a hatchback style putting in buggies, tractors, bikes(at the one time) is no problem as the boot is very big.
    If you do go for the Alfa maybe try the Sportswagon as it'd be easier getting stuff into but a workmate of mine bought a new one of these last year but sold it after 12 months after been back to the garage 28 times getting things fixed on it.
    The Alfa does look a lot classier but the octavia is more practial imo.

Going to have a look at one as I will need a buggy mobile thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Boot on 156 is grand but opening is quite restricted. Also, the back seat doesn't fold (on 00 models anyway) so less flexible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have heard the 156 is not a great car, but that could be just gossip.
    My mate has an octavia, it is the diesel, so fuel economy would be different but he is very happy!

I have a lovely 1.6 on the market but it is only 3dr so no good to you! ;)

yop wrote:
    I have heard the 156 is not a great car, but that could be just gossip

Do a search right here on the motors forum, yop, and you'll find out a bit more than gossip :)

• Advertisement

what a 3 door octy?

woody wrote:
    what a 3 door octy?

Nah no such thing. I guess yop has a car for sale that has a 1.6 liter engine. No make / model disclosed :rolleyes: ;)

Unkel the Seven Series what could I get for 10K, twas onto hibernian it would not be a great deal extra if I go beyond 1.6 about another 200 more for up to 2.5

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oopps sorry, meant to say Focus Zetec!!! ;) late night posting!

Advertisement