Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+ installation problem on a broadband enabled line

• 06-08-2005 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

I have had Eircom broadband with a couple of months now. It works fine - the phone line and DSL lines are separated at the wall socket by a microfilter. No problems so far.....

However, in mid-July my Sky digibox bit the dust. It was unrepairable so I decided to upgrade to Sky+. The Sky engineers called to install the box last Fri but were unable to do so - the box could not pick up a phone connection. They installed the phone line from the box directly into the 'Phone' end of the microfilter and also directly into the wall socket but still no joy. The engineers believe that it is an issue with DSL on the line - different voltages for DSL and Sky+ or something like that???

Sky have told me that I need to have an active phone connection to the digibox during installation so that the digibox can be activated. Maybe somebody can confirm whether this is true or not? Once the installation is comleted the phone line is thereafter only required for ordering Pay-Per-View events etc. I won't be getting multi-room so I don't need the phone connected for a minimum 12 months.

I have spoken to Eircom Broadband and Sky and seemingly I am going to need an Eircom 'Technical Installation'. I believe this involves an Eircom engineer calling to my house and installing a dedicated socket for DSL. The cost is €99!!! This is a lot of money when you think that the Sky+ box is only going to need the phone line for a few minutes during installation.

I'm sure other people out there must have run into this issue when they have had Sky+ installed after DSL broadband. Any other way to get around this problem?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

PS: Posting to both Broadband and Satellite forums.

skyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Sky have told me that I need to have an active phone connection to the digibox during installation so that the digibox can be activated. Maybe somebody can confirm whether this is true or not?
    Yep, you do need a phone line for activation.
    I'm sure other people out there must have run into this issue when they have had Sky+ installed after DSL broadband. Any other way to get around this problem?

I got Sky+ installed on Thursday and used the line my broadband comes from with a microfilter and it works fine

Did you check the line they were trying to use for a dialtone? Only thing i can think of. I know on the sky box in the sitting room the engineer had trouble getting a connection to activate the card, but the phone line was fine. In the end it worked, so I'm guessing it was a problem on skys end.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 skyway

Thanks for the reply, bennyx_o.

Yep, the phone line is fine - it's the only one in the house and is currently used for the landline and DSL, split by a microfilter.

If I know for sure that the microfilter or plugging the Sky line directly into the wall socket should work in order to activate the box (regardless of DSL) then I'll just get the engineers back in to sort it out.

Eircom have got enough money from me already......

Cheers,
    skyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

If you're trying to use your dsl line for the activation, you'll need a filter on the line. If the line works, I don't see why the activation didn't work, unless it was a problem on skys end. Hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

cant understand this issue, the only problem i can think of is if the sky installer plugged it in to the dsl side of a micro filter, if he was smart enough he would of used the connection as to where you phone is plugged into to elimanate certain problems, other than all this there could of being a problem on skys end or the box modem could of being faulty, i assume he would of checked to see if the box was receiving a telephone connection.
    other problems could be the phone lead he made up could of being termanated badly, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

initially had a problem with this also, however i believe the installer picked up on the the fact that the box was faultly, but it could also be that the cable he was using was cracked or your phone extension is cracked.

But anyway, he used another box, and it works fine.

----main line
    ]---phone & DSL Filter----[phone branch]----phones and sky
    [DSL Modem line]

• Advertisement
Advertisement