Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info

• 06-08-2005 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

sorry but havent been around for a while and was wondering is there any coverage in claregalway co.galway or any new companys out.would appreciate info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

aw come on please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

aw come on please

Why are you whining 30 minutes after starting your intiial thread? This isn't a paid for service y'know. We are not obliged to answer you.

If you want answers some basic good advice is:
    -Don't post a new thread until you have searched the site to see if it is already asked, nobody likes lazy posters.
    -Choose a good thread subject ("info"? are you for real?!)
    -State your question clearly (I don't even know what you are asking here)
    -Wait

And FYI, I don't think jack is happening in Claregalway netwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

sharingan wrote:
    Why are you whining 30 minutes after starting your intiial thread? This isn't a paid for service y'know. We are not obliged to answer you.

If you want answers some basic good advice is:
    -Don't post a new thread until you have searched the site to see if it is already asked, nobody likes lazy posters.
    -Choose a good thread subject ("info"? are you for real?!)
    -State your question clearly (I don't even know what you are asking here)
    -Wait

And FYI, I don't think jack is happening in Claregalway netwise.

try this link mate :- http://www.broadband.gov.ie/bbinfo/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx

its the best link............. if your living in an area where there is enought demand try irish WAN www.irishwan.ie (think thats the link)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

There has been lots of posts regarding Broadband in Claregalway, just search Claregalway under broadband. you should find lot there.

Well I just live near Claregalway and to be onist you won't see broadband coming there thru the phone line. you'll have to go wireless. There is only a few providers now but here they are.
    IrishBroadband.ie (Well it works here in Galway, I have it and I'm telling your that!!)
    Leap.ie
    Com1.ie (they use Leap)
    Clearwire.ie (just setup there a only in the past two weeks or so.)
    ESB Telecom (this is Internet Backbone service but they have a hub in Claregalway.)

If you can see Tonabrucky hill (NTL works off the same mast (this doesn't mean you can get NTL broadband) then you should have a chance. of getting wireless broadband, Another option is to check out irishwan.org
    (NTL works off the same mast (this doesn't mean you can get NTL broadband)

Benefit of going for a separater broaband provider is you can then use VoIP (Broadband phone) Check out the VoIP form and blueface.ie and skytel.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fuiseog

Does anyone have any experience of either of these two wireless providers in Galway?

I'm between Headford and the lake and I get my NTL digital from Tonabrocky so I think it may be a runner.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

hay will start this tread of again.i googled Tonabrucky hill for about 20min and could not find anything so does anyone know were Tonabrucky hill is???????? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1 km SSW of Keleghans pub in Bushypark

so its around rathoon

Tonabrocky mast is easy to spot at night, - From Claregalway it is the northern most of the three red lights visible around the city at night (the army mast in Renmore and the Eircom mast in Ballybane being the other two).

Look west between Castlegar and Clonboo and you'll spot it.

is this it

• Advertisement

Westernmost of the 3 red lights Fuiseog . The light in question is the top of the NTL mast .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Westernmost of the 3 red lights Fuiseog . The light in question is the top of the NTL mast .

Not much use in telling someone in Claregalway that when Tonabrocky is almost due west of him! But you're right, it is both the westernmost and the northernmost of the three

claregalway Qs -
    looks right - to confuse things further it is the southernmost of those hills between galway and Moycullen (its a bit more pointy than the others)

so i have los what providers work of here

fuk knows what works out there , have you asked anyone on the list above ??

If its any help you are 13-14km away from it.

well any more info

Is this some sort sort of primal BOT stuck in a loop one wonders ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Is this some sort sort of primal BOT stuck in a loop one wonders ?

Must be. They were given this link on the 6th which has ALL the information they could possibly need. I think ClareGalway wants us to do ALL of the running and chasing. Maybe even pay for the service too?

IrishTLR wrote:
    Must be. They were given this link on the 6th which has ALL the information they could possibly need. I think ClareGalway wants us to do ALL of the running and chasing. Maybe even pay for the service too?

Frankly, IrishTLR there is f all information to be gleaned from that link. You'd be as well off inserting an ethernet cable into the nearest cows arse to see if you can get broadband as rely on that list of nonsense. If you're going to be a smart arse, be a useful one.

Fuiseog wrote:
    Frankly, IrishTLR there is f all information to be gleaned from that link. You'd be as well off inserting an ethernet cable into the nearest cows arse to see if you can get broadband as rely on that list of nonsense. If you're going to be a smart arse, be a useful one.

I wasn't trying to be a "smart arse". If it came across that way, I apologise. The point I was trying to make is that link has most of the information that is needed. There are 11 companies listed that service the claregalway area [county:Galway, area ClareGalway], including websites and phone numbers. A quick clal to a few of them will tell you if you are withing coverage.

Thank you for your comment but unwarrented.

IrishTLR wrote:
    I wasn't trying to be a "smart arse". If it came across that way, I apologise. The point I was trying to make is that link has most of the information that is needed. There are 11 companies listed that service the claregalway area [county:Galway, area ClareGalway], including websites and phone numbers. A quick clal to a few of them will tell you if you are withing coverage.

I agree with IrishTRL, this guy puts the same post up every few days and people try to help but he never goes off an investigates the links. Think it bad form. The only person who know if he has a LOS is himself, and only person who can check if he can get DSL is...... himself.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281538

Fuiseog I sugest you read the posts too, IrishTRL is sound and is always helpful to Boardsters!!

• Advertisement

IrishTLR wrote:

Fair enough IrishTLR - smart arse allegation withdrawn. The thing is, the companies on the list are all the usual satellite operators, short of living in a lead lined bunker we all have coverage if you're prepared to pay the outrageous prices - its the default list that allows the government to maintain that broadband is available everywhere. The question above related to the wireless operators broadcasting from the Tonabrocky mast, none of whom appear on that list. The fact is that static websites are not much good for determining availablilty for two reasons - one, they don't keep up with the changing situation, and two, it can be available on the ground where they say it isn't, and vice versa. Word of mouth and customers personal experiences are much more valuable in my opinion.

For what it is worth I was on to IBB yesterday and they said that they are currently only available within a 6km radius of Ballybane and Tonabrocky, but they plan to expand the availability in November. Details regarding where and when are supposed to be available in mid-September but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Drapper wrote:
    Fuiseog I sugest you read the posts too, IrishTRL is sound and is always helpful to Boardsters!!

And what posts precisely do you think I haven't read?

Any chance you could be off assistance regarding broadband availablility in or around Claregalway instead of adding posts that add nothing in any way informative like the one above?.... or the one on the linked thread? My guess is that not alone do you not know anything regarding the providers in the area, placenames like Claregalway, Tonabrocky and Ballybane mean nothing to you either - which makes it extremely unlikely that you can further this discussion in any meaningful way.

Fuiseog wrote:
    And what posts precisely do you think I haven't read?

Any chance you could be off assistance regarding broadband availablility in or around Claregalway instead of adding posts that add nothing in any way informative like the one above?.... or the one on the linked thread? My guess is that not alone do you not know anything regarding the providers in the area, placenames like Claregalway, Tonabrocky and Ballybane mean nothing to you either - which makes it extremely unlikely that you can further this discussion in any meaningful way.

Man your really looking for a row! what do you want us to do? we are not Telco providers we only post what we know ! If its no help fine ! but why so many personal attacks? sad

Have you called the lnks provided?
    Have you had any luck?
    What do you aim to achieve by your posts?
    Also, do you want your hand held to find out whats available?

Negative to the above suggests there is no BB in your area and get used to your dial up until providers comes to your area. That government link, which I worked on, gives all the latest info!

Finally, I found out from Boards what services are in my area, called and arranged an installation, proof that links DO WORK.

Actaully it was Micro or MickFarr who helped me !

A little help attached

Drapper wrote:
    Man your really looking for a row!
    I'm not the one who has appeared on two Galway Broadband threads to have a go at another poster, becuase he wasn't doing enough to help himself - in your opinion. And added nothing whatsoever to either thread in terms of information.
    Drapper wrote:
    what do you want us to do? we are not Telco providers we only post what we know ! If its no help fine ! but why so many personal attacks? sad

If you can't help then you don't need to clutter the thread by taking sideswipes at people. If you've nothing constructive to add, then say nothing.
    Drapper wrote:
    Have you called the lnks provided?
    If you're talking about the list of satellite providers you suggested, I have enough information from their pricing structures to know that I don't need to call them.

If you're talking about Eircom - yes I have.

I have also checked out the useful link provided by Plasma in the informative post above. They were much appreciated.
    Drapper wrote:
    Have you had any luck?

No. See reply to IrishTLR above
    Drapper wrote:
    What do you aim to achieve by your posts?

I would have thought it was perfectly clear from my first post. I am trying to determine if there is anyone getting wireless broadband on the eastern side of the lake from Tonabrocky, and if so where they live. Essentially it is a question that can only be answered by people living in a small geographical area encompassing Claregalway, Annaghdown, Headford and lakeside Moycullen.
    Drapper wrote:
    Finally, I found out from Boards what services are in my area, called and arranged an installation, proof that links DO WORK.

Actaully it was Micro or MickFarr who helped me !

Good for you - now it is obvious where your difficulty in understanding that all the answers to getting broadband in a peripheral area aren't available via a few government links comes from. Don't be so quick to assume that because that doesn't do the trick for others in places you don't know very well, that it must mean that they are being lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

dude.
    forget the endless quotage.

You were spoonfed links by a bunch of people.
    (READ THEM)
    I agree with drapper, the folks here are actual people with actual lives.
    We don't have infinite time to do your googling, reading and thinking for you.
    There are a bunch of wireless ISPs from microwave providers to Satellite.
    Sattellite can be cheaper than anything else, if you know how to use a search engine and read.

I suggest you spend your time learning about broadband yourself, rather than demanding answers from others.

And perhaps, rather than asking everyone in your area how they find their 'ISP X' broadband, ring said ISP and ask them. Its their job.

To summarise: think.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    dude.
    forget the endless quotage.

Thanks for the tip - not sure what it has to do with this thread.
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    You were spoonfed links by a bunch of people.
    (READ THEM)

Did I ask for links anywhere? And which links do you think haven't been read? Is it possible that MAYBE, just maybe, the answer to the question I posed above is not in them? Do you know what I asked? Did it cross your mind that maybe I may have researched this and that the answer is not in those links, nor do I expect it to be in any links?
    FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I agree with drapper, the folks here are actual people with actual lives.
    We don't have infinite time to do your googling, reading and thinking for you.

You're from Westmeath, now as I pointed out above, it is highly unlikely that even if you didn't have a life, all the googling thinking and reading wouldn't be of any assistance in this case. So I'm not really interested in wasting anymore time discussing this with you.

to summarise: patronising git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

ok. I just phoned up a wireless ISP.
    The website was hyperlinked on one of the other links posted.
    Asked them about claregalway.
    They said they have customers in claregalway atm.
    price is marginally more expensive than DSL.
    Speed is the same. 20 gig cap.

Now, why don't you run along and do the work yourself. Because I sure as hell aren't going to link you to them.

Good man, no need to go to such trouble, but I'm sure the original poster will appreciate that information. Not much help to me, however - I don't live in Claregalway, as I stated clearly in my OP.

Suggest that you create your own tread and not trying to take over this one from the OP

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    ok. I just phoned up a wireless ISP.
    The website was hyperlinked on one of the other links posted.
    Asked them about claregalway.
    They said they have customers in claregalway atm.
    price is marginally more expensive than DSL.
    Speed is the same. 20 gig cap.

Now, why don't you run along and do the work yourself. Because I sure as hell aren't going to link you to them.

Fuzzy fair play ! (btw need a lift to Dublin next Friday for Darkside?)

Can get stressful helping on Boards lately!

not worth a resposne to the last post.. must have woke up on the wrong side of the shannon! lol

Advertisement