Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dead Ball System

Options
  • 06-08-2005 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is the one area of PES that really annoys me. Penalties are the worst bit. You press left or right and its totally random whether the ball goes into the net or wide. Bollocks. Does anyone rememeber the penalties in ISS 64??

For those who don't know it, the kicker has an aiming box and the goalkeeper has a saving box. The kicker scores if he lines his box away fom the goalies box. Naturally, if the keeper lines his box up with the kicker's he saves it. Its a much better system than the current one.

Free kicks are also shíte to be honest. They are also completely random. I know about pressing R2, R1, up and down to increase / reduce power, but they dont work. FIFA's free kick system is much better (its the only thing FIFA has over PES).

Corner's arent too bad I suppose, but they could also be improved. You should be able to sort your players positions out before you take it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think with the penalties they are just trying to make it more realistic. I think a good way to do is to have invisible boxes and once the player aims and shoots, a little dot appears as to where the ball is going, only for mili second, in the time the player has made his decision but the keeper has that milisecond to still aim his save, this would be the same time a keeper would have in a real match to judge from the time it leaves the players foot to the time it reaches the goal line.

I think free kicks are just harder, I know I haven't mastered them, I score the odd few but I think again, they are just as random as a real life kick would be. I did enjoy the free kicks in PES2 though, much easier to know what you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Spogpean wrote:
    This is the one area of PES that really annoys me. Penalties are the worst bit. You press left or right and its totally random whether the ball goes into the net or wide. Bollocks. Does anyone rememeber the penalties in ISS 64??

For those who don't know it, the kicker has an aiming box and the goalkeeper has a saving box. The kicker scores if he lines his box away fom the goalies box. Naturally, if the keeper lines his box up with the kicker's he saves it. Its a much better system than the current one.

Free kicks are also shíte to be honest. They are also completely random. I know about pressing R2, R1, up and down to increase / reduce power, but they dont work. FIFA's free kick system is much better (its the only thing FIFA has over PES).

Corner's arent too bad I suppose, but they could also be improved. You should be able to sort your players positions out before you take it.

I agree completely, although in Fifa, its too easy to score free kicks.

Its funny because i had this discussion with a friend and i was saying they should introduce an idea like you were saying was in ISS64. I didnt realise it had been used in that game. It would be a much better idea. The only good thing about pes's frees is it is a great feeling when you do score a free kick.I like Fifas corners too. Much more interesting. It is one of the areas that REALLY needs to be looked at in the future games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PES is realistic, its like football.

The penos have six areas you can kick it to.
    If you have a quality player, its unlikely that they will miskick. Its based on a couple of stats.
    The saves are simply based on which way you dive.
    Its just like real life.

---

That is just simply bull****.
    The following things effect free kicks.
    R1 - before the kick
    Up - before the kick
    Down - before the kick
    Left - after the kick
    Right - after the kick
    X - after the kick

The free kicks are in total control if you know what to do. You just havn't practiced them enough.
    FIFA free kicks are stupidly easy and require little to no skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If you do the free kick challenge and get a high score , you should be able to get the ball to wherever you want it from a free kick.

Just when there a few players in your way and a diving keeper makes it harder to score but still should work the keeper everytime.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

PHB wrote:
    X - after the kick

What exactly will X do to the free kick ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

X or Triangle make the ball dip. I always use trangle myself, but its the same effect. :)

As for Fifa free kicks, they're sh!te! I dont want a free kick thats more like a golf game than football. PES/ WE free kick system is much better, it involves actual skill and practice, not 3 goes to be able to know when to press the button at the right time, leave that for Tiger Woods!
    Also Fifa's corners are shockingly bad, the whole dead ball system in general in Fifa is crap, its got barely any user input or skill involved at all. Not to be mean, but I always find the people that moan about PES/ WE dead ball situations being bad, are actually just crap at them. They just take a bit more effort than some people are willing to put in, but what can ya do?

The only part I agree with is the penatly system, I'd love for it go back to the way ISS64 was, so much better, it involved actual aiming and skill (especially with the boxes turned off as you never quite knew where it was then) instead of hit and hope as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

my biggest deadball gripe is the throw-in system :/ It was perfectly fine in PES3 (i loved making a run and throwing in with triangle), why on earth did they go backwards for PES4???

The corners, i'd prefer to see a little more strategy and placement of players involved like in fifa. Although I didn't like fifa2005's corners, I liked what they were trying to do with it, and if konami would try something similar, they'd probably pull it off much better.

As for free kicks, I'd say nothing in sports is closer to hitting a free kick than a golf swing. If you just replace a golf club with the player's leg, it's conceptually the exact same thing. So why not borrow a little from golf games which have spent the last twenty years perfecting the swing controls? It doesn't have to be easy, but that's just fifa's style, in every department not just free kicks. you can do all sorts of things to make a golf swing more difficult, not least of which is speeding up the power bar. And dar83's assertion that all golf games involve no skill and can be mastered in three swings is kinda madness. If that was the case, why are golf games so much fun and why do they get good reviews and sell so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

You seem to have pulled that assertion out of thin air there Balfa.

I said Fifa's free kick system was as easy as the process, as in the process of realising where/ when to press the button when required, not to hit a 120 yard fairway shot 6 inches from the pin, which involves more in depth knowledge of the system. But Fifa's system is probably about as deep as PGA Tour 96 on the Megadrive. I'd rather know I missed a free kick by not swerving it enough or too much, or under/overpowering it myself, instead of knowing I'd missed the sweet spot on the power bar, as I readied myself to hit X again.
    I honestly cant comprehend why people prefer Fifa's corner and Free Kicks. I dont think PES/ WE have them perfectly represented, but they're a hell of a lot better than the interactive cut scene Fifa gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

PES's free kicks are excellent.... i dont play pes that regularly and i score free kicks every now and again. It feels great when they go in... although is prob more to do with luck when im involved.

I do know a few people who are PES fanatics.... and every time I play them I have to make sure that I dont give away a free kick around the box... cause I know that 75% of the time they will go in the back of the net....

it takes time to get good at scoring the free kicks, but it is rewarding if you put in the time.... a little realistic dont you think....

if your gripe is that you cant score free kicks the first few times you play the game... or without putting any effort to train at it..... then tough crap. go play a different less realistic game......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

In PES4 scoring freekicks isnt the easiest, but with the right players you can score a decent amount of the time. To me, this is realistic. I definitely feel more satisfied when I score a free kick now than in any other PES as there isnt a definite way of scoring each time. If it was just a matter of pressing buttons at the right time each time everyone could score every time. In real life scoring free kick is about luck too, as even the most skillful player dont score every time, and I think the way the free kick system is in Pro Evo 4 is the best way to show this. Uncertainty adds to the excitment :) Hope ppl can understand that, not sure if I do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

PES free kicks are excellent apart from the fact that from 25m in you can smash them into the corner the keepers at and have a certain goal.

Except for some reason I've a mental block on left-footed setpieces and have never been able to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Spogpean wrote:

How many matches have you seen on tv when Beckham or Ronaldinho whack in 3 or 4 free kicks in a game? None whatsoever!

I can score free kicks and I feel i'm pretty good at them, but I don't score all the time because you still have to take the quality of the keeper and defenders into consideration, whenever I take a free kick it goes where I want it but sometimes the keeper saves it like real football!

I think it's a great game tbh there are a couple of things that need to be changed but they're only minor.

Cheers
    Fusion
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

dar83 wrote:
    X or Triangle make the ball dip. I always use trangle myself, but its the same effect. :)

ah ffs. thats why i have only scored three free kicks! i never knew about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Except for some reason I've a mental block on left-footed setpieces and have never been able to do them.

:D OHHH TESTIFY!! :D

Riisse/kewell/duff/harte: STEP AWAY FROM THE BALL!!

Those four players being the dominant left peggers in my two preferred teams,ireland and liverpool obviously. Unless Levante have been busy in d transfer mkt d last few hours...........

Advertisement