Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VHS to mpeg conversion?

• 06-08-2005 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

I have 8 VHS tapes that I want to convert to mpeg. I want to burn them to DVD myself so that I can put in my own menus and chapters etc.
    I just need them converted to decent quality mpegs as the quality is very poor on the ones I have done myself (I was using a laptop so it's not surprising I suppose).
    I could probably improve them with filters but it takes too long to do.
    There are a few websites out there that do conversion but they only do straight VHS to DVD and the prices they charge are ridiculous (€45 for two hours? C'mon!)
    Is there anyone on this board that would be prepared to do it for me for a reasonable price? If there is I would be prepared to send them one tape and if I am happy with the results then I'll send the rest.
    I don't expect DVD crystal clear standard, but it should be possible to get the equal of the VHS.
    I'll supply the blank DVD's to burn the mpegs to and pay for postage too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If you want me to do it I will. However I'm in London.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

Lump wrote:
    If you want me to do it I will. However I'm in London.

John

I don't mind that, but what price for each tape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I do them for a tenner a pop, im in monaghan/dublin, labeled and cased,

ohhh, mpeg, emm...lets say 7 euro per tape.

Thanks djmarkus, but Lump was the first to reply so it's only fair that I wait to hear back from him first.

Actually. I'd just make the DVD's myself with a standalone player. It's too much bother for me to Mpeg them. So Go with djmarkus.

TBH I didn't really read the first post properly!

John

• Advertisement

I'm not in competition here! go with whoever you want. PM me if you decide to go with me.

OK djmarkus, you've got the gig. PM me your address and I'll send you the first tape along with a blank DVD+RW and €7.When I get it back I'll burn it to DVD. If it's to my liking I'll send you the other tapes. Sounds fair?
    Have you done this before by the way?

Yes I'm currently half way through converting a tape collection of 150 tapes so its not like i'm an amatuer looking for an easy 50 euro!

Wut bitrate you want? for example i could easily make 2 x 2hr tapes fit onto 1 dvd if you want?

djmarkus wrote:
    Yes I'm currently half way through converting a tape collection of 150 tapes so its not like i'm an amatuer looking for an easy 50 euro!

Wut bitrate you want? for example i could easily make 2 x 2hr tapes fit onto 1 dvd if you want?

The quality would be poor with 2 2hr tapes on 1 dvd so no. Some of the tapes I'm going to send you are 3 hours long, others are less, but none are longer than 3 hours.
    The first one I'll send you is only one and a half hours long so that will fit on one DVD but the three hour ones could be split over two DVD's if it's no trouble to you (I'll be supplying the DVDR's anyway).
    PM me your address anyway and I'll send you the first one.

That's why you should have said €7 an hour.

John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What does this mpeg thing mean?!?

zentropa wrote:
    Try www.digitalvideo.ie .....they converted/transfered all of our vhs and camcorder tapes.

Cheap and very professional

"Prices start at 16.99 Euro. Please Contact Us for pricing or to discuss your options.. "

it said on the site. Must be expensive if they don't tell you exactly how much.

thats probably per hour, €17 vs €7 hmm.....

Advertisement