Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

should we move our cars !!!

Options
  • 06-08-2005 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Guys what is the law with regard to moving ones vehicle off the road while waiting for the cops !!! a silly cow ran into the back of me a while back and although both of us were ok and she was clearly in the wrong she refused to move the car until the cops arrived . So we just sat there like two morons
    and took the abuse from everybody that went by due to the traffic chaos we caused .I asked the garda and he just shrugged his shoulders i dont really think he knew or cared .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Good question, seeing as it can take forever for the Guards to show up and there you go blocking the whole place for what could be a very minor incident..... never mind the abuse you have to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i wouldnt move it anyway, if it wasnt my fault, its not the people giving abuse that suffer the problems of a claim on your policy its u. def dont move it unless u have witnesses and u can mark where the cars were with chaulk before moving them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I would take a few pictures of it on my phone and then move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Seeing as the Gardai are no longer interested in traffic accidents where nobody is seriously hurt (its a civil matter, what ever the f*** that means) I don't even see the point in calling them anymore, they'll come out, take names and stuff and then refuse to comment to you, or your insurance company. If you get run over but are okay they won't even caution the other party for careless driving.

Then there's the hassle your causing everybody else by blocking the road and the potential for another accident because of that.

The answer is carry a disposable camera in your glove box, or under the seat of your motorbike or whatever and as soon as the accidents occured and you've figured out that nobody's hurt, fire off every shot in your camera then put it back in your glove box and move the vechiles the hell off the road.

I was travelling through the city center once with a group spread across three cars and the last vechile got rearended at slow speed in really heavy traffic and the driver of one of the cars promptly had what looked like a heartattack, so we were delayed some in moving the cars off the road but the abuse everybody was yelling from the passing cars was appalling.

Some lads coming out of the football even leaned out of the window as they drove past and slapped one of the girls in the back of the head. We got everything moved as soon as the guy was gone in the ambulance and about twenty minutes after that a bike cop arrived but nobody realy talked to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Calling the cops can result in criminal charges been layed against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Bond-007 wrote:

i doubt it.they are CIVIL servants, they should do the job they are paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Rabies wrote:
    I would take a few pictures of it on my phone and then move.

I think this makes the most sense. There's enough obstructions on the road without adding to the mess.
    Unless there is someone injured, in which case it is a medic you should have called first.
    Or the car is totally disabled after the incident. I saw a cop here use his front bumper to push a car off the road, ... sideways, just like a piece of scrap in front of a Dozer.
    But is they can move, then move them.

About here it is not necessary to call the police, nor to report incidents involving less than $600 (might me more now), but if you do they wil come and generate a report. May even issue a ticked to one of the parties also.

Even so there are some things that even they cannot resolve, eg someone runs a light into you and claim it was you ran the light, etc.

B-007; Calling the cops can result in criminal charges been layed against you.

Please explain as the statment does not make sense as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

saobh_ie wrote:
    carry a disposable camera

Yep have done so ever since mike65 suggested it here
    Bond-007 wrote:

How? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It happened to me when I had an accident. Jackass in tractor parked across a road on a blind bend. I couldn't stop and him him. He was blantantly in the wrong so I called cops. Cops came and told me to walk away from it or they would charge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

sounds like someone has a lil too much cheese if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Bond-007 wrote:
    I think what he means is the cops can charge you with dangerous driving. If they are called out to an accident I think thay have to caution (for legal reasons) both drivers but very rearly anybody is ever done.
    Thats what a cop told me after I had an accident anyway, thankfully I was in the right.

Advertisement