Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Student Accommodation

Options
  • 06-08-2005 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for info about Galway student accommodation.
    In September I’ll be heading to GMIT for the first time.
    I’ll be going into 4th year Engineering for one year.
    I’m 25 and will have a car.

Just wondering where are good places to live?
    I’d like to live in an area where there are a lot of other students.
    I’ve seen the Student Villages listed below on the GMIT Website, are these any good?
    I’d rather not be in a block of flats with nothing but 1st year 17/18 year olds.
    A slightly older crowd with 3rd, 4th and above years would be better.

Glasan Holiday Village
    Gleann Na Ri Student Village
    Cúirt na Rásaí GMIT Student Complex

Thanks,
    Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

There's student accommodation that GMIT provide beside the college. It's supposedly ****. But the houses in renmore 2 mins from it are all pretty good. If you got a house at the top of renmore you'd be halfway between the city centre and GMIT - 15/20min walk to each.

I'm just wondering when all the students start coming in because I'd like to time getting a good job some time right after the summer job people quit and before the students all come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

tirellan heights is handy if you have a car. seems to be the older crowd there. all houses 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Try GLEANN RUA, LURGAN PARK, and Renmore park. the first two are right beside the college and the last one is about 10 minutes walk.

By the way what engineering course are you going into?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

Thanks for the info so far guys.
    Has anyone got info/opinions on those student villages?

I wasn't sure which board to post my question on.
    (Between: 'College Work/Play', 'Galway City' and 'Accommodation')
    Should I move the thread to a different board?
    I've also been looking at www.sin.ie (NUI Galway SU Site) for info.

ARGINITE:
    The course I'm doing is a new one that was introduced after the 05/06 Prospectus went to print.
    I originally applied for ‘BEng (Honours) in Manufacturing Technology’

But Admissions called me to say that this course had been replaced by
    ‘BEng (Honours) in Mechanical Engineering’ and
    ‘BEng (Honours) in Industrial Engineering’
    So I’ve been offered and accepted the Industrial Engineering course.

I currently have a Nation Diploma in Engineering in Electronic Engineering.
    I finished that over 5 years ago at DKIT.

Thanks,
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'd avoid the student villages if I was you. The majority of students there are young, just out of home types. You're 25 and I'd guess that living with a bunch of 18/19 year olds who are delighted that they don't have a bed time anymore would probably wreck your head.

If you have a car there's loads of places near that would suit. Wellpark Grove normally has a good load of students although they're more likely to be going to the film and art courses in Cluain Mhuire than up to the main campus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

I have a room going in Renmore. It's literaly a drive-round-the-corner type of situation to get to the main campus and the room is going in two weeks. PM me if you want to have a look.

I'd agree that villages are not your scene if you want to actually have a home-life as opposed to living with the 24hr party people. Regardless, Renmore or old mervue would be your best bet for convenient gaffs in nice quite areas, with nice houses / appts.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

anyone know whats the best student village for nui galway?

i hear corrib village is really good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Corrib Village is a hole.
    End of story. You won't get into Dun na Coirbe... or what ever they call it because the place is full of students who applied at christmas (current students in UCG)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Corrib Village may be a hole, but it's survivable. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be, and it is close to the campus. And you meet a lot of people, so it's good if you're going to Galway not knowing anyone. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who's not a first year, though.
    Gort na Coiribe is booked up since February, and no doubt has a long waiting list, so I wouldn't bother trying there.
    Dunaras is meant to be nice, but it's further out than Corrib Village.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

corrib village may be a ****hole but is great for first years and the meeting friends aspect is brilliant...just never go back....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

anyone know whats the best student village for nui galway?

i hear corrib village is really good?

corrib village is a dive but definitely worth it for the first year to meet people as said above.
    i lived in the menlo park apts for first and 2nd year and found myself going down to corrib village frequently for parties and what not

although the menlo was great craic.. . take a look out there.

as for getting a place for GMIT :
    if you have a car i would say go closer to town !!
    you can drive to college !!

getting a taxi home after a night out in galway is a nightmare as you all know!!

There's a new block of student apartments right beside the college, somewhat between scotty's and supermacs (LOVELY :) ). Being the nice guy I am I went and got their number (sh'up ye mods, it's plastered on a massive sign on the building):

Ceann Boirne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Is that where the old petrol station used to be? Right opposite the hospital?

I have it on very good word that permission for section 50 appartments are to built there. This is my opinion. But as I said, I have it on good word from my sources in the legal and construction world

No it's right beside the college, like RIGHT beside it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

got any details bout price or will i have to get off my lazy ass and call.is that the place that is just for girls?

I'm afraid you'll have to get off your lazy ass. I just passed it and thought I'd give you the number - They only finished building it no less than a month or two ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm in the same boat as yourself space cowboy. I'm 26 and I'll be going down to study in the GMIT (From Dublin). I had a look at the accom in Gleann na Ri and Glasan. Gleann na ri is looks better in my opinion. They put you in with students of similar age or in the same year as yourself. I've paid a e200 deposit for Gleann na Ri and I'll be moving down on the 10th/sep. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you dont mind walking about 15min or 5 min using a short cut(jumping a wall) then i suggest you go to gleann na ri. The apartments are very comfortable and reasonably priced.

Glassan which is right beside the college is not the best. I dont like it anyway. Not as comfortable as gleann na ri and in my eyes everything in cramped.

I have my apt booked for over a month now in gleann na ri. But i was onto the gleann na ri staff the other day and they were saying that all the regular apartments are booked out. They only have the penthouses left. They are excellent apartments. bedrooms on the lower floor of the apt and sitting room and kitchen upstairs. Loads of space. €1520 per semester. its reasonable enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

Lived in glasan last year its grand for 1st year but i wouldnt live there again, the people who run the place are ****in retards and only gave me 16e back from a 350eur deposit, i was warned about that anyway but if yo u decide to live there, say goodbye to your deposit.

I got a house in lurgan park this year and im well happy with it,

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

I have a penthouse apartment booked in Gleann na Rí a few weeks now.
    I didn't like the houses I went to see in Renmore.

I just thought Glean na Rí were really nice apartments and you have a BB connection there too.
    I went with a penthouse because the price difference was not that major and they're bigger and the balconies are a little nicer.
    The sitting room was nice and big, and on a different floor, handy for mates coming over to Galway for a weekend.
    I requested to 3rd/4th year + flat mates also.

So that's 3 of us that were impressed with and chose Gleann na Rí over other options.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭How U Like That

does anyone know when should I apply to "Corrib Village" for accomodation that I will definitely get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

cartman wrote:
    Lived in glasan last year its grand for 1st year but i wouldnt live there again, the people who run the place are ****in retards and only gave me 16e back from a 350eur deposit, i was warned about that anyway but if yo u decide to live there, say goodbye to your deposit.

I got a house in lurgan park this year and im well happy with it,

Im living there too very handy! Nice and near the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vive che

I have my apt booked for over a month now in gleann na ri. But i was onto the gleann na ri staff the other day and they were saying that all the regular apartments are booked out. They only have the penthouses left. They are excellent apartments. bedrooms on the lower floor of the apt and sitting room and kitchen upstairs. Loads of space. €1520 per semester. its reasonable enough.[/QUOTE]

I booked mine today online are they really booked out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

bumping 2 year old thread \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clendog

Hi everyone.
    I have a room to rent in a nice clean friendly house in Fort Lorenzo, Knocknacarra. Its a double room and has fast broadband, ntl, a 42 inch plasma screen tv an x box, and all necesary mod cons. It has car parking spaces and a nice back garden. There is already three friendly lads living in the house at the minute. It is beside major bus route and a nice walk to town and salt hill. It is 300 euros pcm.
    Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sangam

Hello everyone,

I am an international student studying in Galway. My room in the Lisdonagh student residence is coming available for the second semester (from 12 January 2009). It is a single room (with double bed). Sharing the flat with two friendly and quiet Irish first year students (boys). If you're interested, please contact the NUI Galway student accomodation office or the Lisdonagh manager directly. Tell them it's for appartment 22! For all info and links, see: http://www.nuigalway.ie/student_services/accommodation_office/lisdonagh.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I'd recommend the Corrib Village as I'm currently living in it. Staff seem willing enough to help if something goes wrong, but management seem damm-right unhelpful and will screw you out of money at every opportunity (Keycards are €15 a pop).

The back gate system is ridiculous, used to be open till 3am, bad enough but you could still manage to be home after a night out, now closing at 12 you have to walk ALL the way round the front, not handy if your house is right beside the back gate like mine. I mean what does 3 hours of a security guard cost?

That and it does look like a jail cell, but if you ignore those you'l have a great time.

Yes it is really right beside the college. A second walk from the Business building and the Gym, and 2-3 minutes from the concourse.

First year I'd recommend it, but the appeal dwindles the older you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Hi, try to get somewhere within walking distance to the college, because unless you are in there before 8.30 you will not get a car parking space. I live in Gleann Rua, its about 5 mins walk to GMIT, so is Lurgan Park and Murrough Avenue. There's normally plenty of rooms going there for students, with different age groups. Glasan is great for 1st yrs but thats it. Gleann na Ri is better, but it is about 20mins walk, which is fine, except when it lashes rain. Good luck - check out daft.ie & Galway Advertiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Corrib Village as I'm currently living in it. Staff seem willing enough to help if something goes wrong, but management seem damm-right unhelpful and will screw you out of money at every opportunity (Keycards are €15 a pop).

The back gate system is ridiculous, used to be open till 3am, bad enough but you could still manage to be home after a night out, now closing at 12 you have to walk ALL the way round the front, not handy if your house is right beside the back gate like mine. I mean what does 3 hours of a security guard cost?

That and it does look like a jail cell, but if you ignore those you'l have a great time.

Yes it is really right beside the college. A second walk from the Business building and the Gym, and 2-3 minutes from the concourse.

First year I'd recommend it, but the appeal dwindles the older you are.

Corrib Village is an absolute dump and if you're anyway sensible you wouldnt stay there. Mind you, if you're a commerce or arts student only going to college for something to do, then by all means live there and get drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 boye

Hi guys,

Just looking for info about Galway student accommodation.
    In September I’ll be heading to GMIT for the first time.
    I’ll be going into 4th year Engineering for one year.
    I’m 25 and will have a car.

Just wondering where are good places to live?
    I’d like to live in an area where there are a lot of other students.
    I’ve seen the Student Villages listed below on the GMIT Website, are these any good?
    I’d rather not be in a block of flats with nothing but 1st year 17/18 year olds.
    A slightly older crowd with 3rd, 4th and above years would be better.

Glasan Holiday Village
    Gleann Na Ri Student Village
    Cúirt na Rásaí GMIT Student Complex

Thanks,
    Tom.

I am starting too in gmit in retail management in sept, all really have dregee in construction management age 22, if you interested in sharing a house e-mail dboyle.co@gmail.com

Advertisement