Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection problem

• 06-08-2005 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

I've come across this before but I can't for the life of me think of the solution.
    Windows ME machine, fresh re-install, no internal modem. I've installed Eircom BB modem on USB and everything looks fine there.
    But
    When I open internet explorer to go on the net, the "setup new internet connection" wizard opens up and searches for a dialup modem. I click cancel and that closes, then nothing. Internet explorer does see the BB connection.
    What do I need to change to get explorer to recognise and use the BB modem?
    Any help would be appreciated.

<Edit>Sorted :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Honestly,

Invest in a NIC if you dont have one already and forget about all the trouble involved with the USB connection!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

zuma wrote:
    Honestly,

Invest in a NIC if you dont have one already and forget about all the trouble involved with the USB connection!!!

Hows plugging a USB cable in any more complicated than cat5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ntlbell wrote:
    Hows plugging a USB cable in any more complicated than cat5?

well cat5 is more reliable, especially for connection issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sparky_S wrote:
    well cat5 is more reliable, especially for connection issues.

Well I don't use USB myself, but I have, and never had an issue with reliability. so much more reliable to go out and purchase a nic? (regardless of price)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

zuma wrote:
    Honestly,

Zuma, why do you insist in posting replies to threads unless you have something constructive to add. Your reply is both irrelivant and useless.
    I repair computers for a living and I know all about the pro's and con's of usb v ethernet. This was a customers computer and for the life of me I couldn't remember the solution but if you read my post fully you would have seen that I solved the problem before any replies were posted. Yet you still felt the need to improve your post count.
    Like the old saying goes:
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

just making sure, did u try goinf into internet explorer and go to Tools > Options > Conoections tab and clicking on "Never dial a conneciton"? i know its basic but just double check. Also, why dont u complete the network setup wizard. just tell it u hav no dial up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

kaizersoze wrote:
    Zuma, why do you insist in posting replies to threads unless you have something constructive to add. Your reply is both irrelivant and useless.
    I repair computers for a living and I know all about the pro's and con's of usb v ethernet. This was a customers computer and for the life of me I couldn't remember the solution but if you read my post fully you would have seen that I solved the problem before any replies were posted. Yet you still felt the need to improve your post count.
    Like the old saying goes:
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something"

I would really like to be nasty and say this/that about your pc repairman credentials...but after typeing out this reply a couple of times I finally decided not to insult you as it would only make me a target.

The next time you post a thread on a problem would you please be more gratefull for responses and treat them with more respect!

Oh....I too repair PC's...but on on my days off.
    The local computer shop is run by a greedy so and so who charges far too much for parts(€70 for a plain CD-ROM Drive!)/time so many people come to me for help!!!!
    Is that you???

Advertisement