Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie Quiz

• 06-08-2005 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Blockbuster is testing all new employees with a movie quiz to see if they get the job heres a sample few Qs:

Can you get them all?
    Please use
    [/spoilerrrr] tags but spelt right :)

1.Which actor played John Mc Clane in an action trilogy of the late 80s/90s?

2. Who are the only 2 actors to win an oscar for playing the same character?

3. What was Roy Schneiders character called in Jaws?

4.Name all 3 Nick Hornbys books made into movies?

5.Which 3 movies have co-starred Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson?

6.Name the 2 actors to play Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars?

7.Which 1986 movie co starred a Beautiful Mind Actress Jennifer Connely and David Bowie?

8.True or False: Jodie Foster played Agent Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal?

9.What was the 1st name of Kate Winslets character in Titanic?

10. Who Provided the voice of Donkey in Shrek 1 and 2?

Answers on page 44 of todays Star or imdb for cheating gits :D

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Cheat? Perish the thought!

Nah, I know all them all (mainly because I like all the movies in question - apart from the 3 ben stillers and one of the hornby ones) . As such I don't think a mad movie buff would have any problem getting full marks there. Then again how many movie-literate people usually end up working in video shops anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Pigman II wrote:
    Cheat? Perish the thought!

Nah, I know all them all (mainly because I like all the movies in question - apart from the 3 ben stillers and one of the hornby ones) . As such I don't think a mad movie buff would have any problem getting full marks there. Then again how many movie-literate people usually end up working in video shops anyway?

I worked in a great video story that a much harder test to become staff.

This one'e piss easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

1) Bruce Willis
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6) Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor
    7)
    8) False, she was never in Hannibal
    9) Rose
    10) Eddie Murphy

I suck!

qz wrote:
    1) Bruce Willis
    2)Brando and DeNiro in the Godfather/Godfather Pt2
    3) Chief Brody
    4)High Fidelity, About a boy, fever pitch
    5) Starsk and Hutch Royal Tennenbaums, Zoolander
    7) laybrinth
    9) Rose
    10) Eddie Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

KdjaC wrote:
    1.Which actor played John Mc Clane in an action trilogy of the late 80s/90s?

Easy ...
    KdjaC wrote:
    2. Who are the only 2 actors to win an oscar for playing the same character?

I dont see how this would help someone working in a videoshop

KdjaC wrote:
    3. What was Roy Schneiders character called in Jaws?

Who cares and why would it matter to a guy working in a videoshop?

KdjaC wrote:
    4.Name all 3 Nick Hornbys books made into movies?

They are all crap movies and shouldnt be recomended to anyone

KdjaC wrote:
    5.Which 3 movies have co-starred Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson

wtf .. who cares

KdjaC wrote:
    6.Name the 2 actors to play Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars

Again who cares and why does it matter to someone working in a videoshop

KdjaC wrote:
    7.Which 1986 movie co starred a Beautiful Mind Actress Jennifer Connely and David Bowie?

I doubt you are going to have many people asking you this question while working in a video library ... unless some adult feels like watching a kids movie that he cant remember the name of.
    KdjaC wrote:
    8.True or False: Jodie Foster played Agent Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal?

So Easy ....
    KdjaC wrote:
    9.What was the 1st name of Kate Winslets character in Titanic?

You would want to be a really sad man to know the answer to this .. and if you do know the answer then you have really bad taste in movies
    KdjaC wrote:
    10. Who Provided the voice of Donkey in Shrek 1 and 2?

Easy but I dont see how it is relevant information for a blockbuster employee to know

What a crap waste of time quiz ... blockbuster will end up with people working for them who have a passion for bad movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Notice how he didn't actually answer any of the questions

Playboy wrote:
    Easy ...

I dont see how this would help someone working in a videoshop

Because working in a video shop requires a modicum of knowledge of films so when people come up to you and say

"I'm looking for something suitable for my 8yo to watch"

or

"Do you have anything else by the guy who did the life aquatic?"

Customer holds up a copy of The Avengers "Is this any good"

You're able to give them an answer.

Personally I don't want to shop in a wine merchant that playboy works in

"So what's a suitable red to go with steak"

playboy "er we have red and white wine"

Or florist's

mycroft "So whats a tasteful flower for funerals"

playboy "dafodills?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

qz wrote:
    1) Bruce Willis
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    7)
    9) Rose
    10) Eddie Murphy

I suck!

You suck at using spoilers!! :rolleyes:

I presume they'd have accepted MeetTheParents as well? Actually now that I think of it weren't they both in the CableGuy too?

mycroft wrote:
    Because working in a video shop requires a modicum of knowledge of films so when people come up to you and say

"I'm looking for something suitable for my 8yo to watch"

or

"Do you have anything else by the guy who did the life aquatic?"

Customer holds up a copy of The Avengers "Is this any good"

You're able to give them an answer.

Personally I don't want to shop in a wine merchant that playboy works in

"So what's a suitable red to go with steak"

playboy "er we have red and white wine"

Or florist's

mycroft "So whats a tasteful flower for funerals"

playboy "dafodills?"

haha .. my point was that hardly any of those questions are relevant for a videostore employee to know ... We dont need to know what the name of a character in a movies name is ... you need to know does that movie match the expectations of the customer.

Example:

Customer: Is High Fidelity any good?

Assistant: Well that depends

Customer: on what?

Assistant: on what kind of movie you are in the mood for and kind of movies you liked in the past.

Customer: oh well I really liked fever pitch

Assistant: (thinks to himself .. oh man this guy has really bad taste in movies) Well Sir I think you would really enjoy that movie :)

Btw mycroft I have worked in a video library now part time for 3 years and before that in a cinema for two years. My Gf is currently in UCLA on a scholarship that she won while doing her masters in screenwriting .. my best friend also has a degree in a film and a masters in screenwriting and has 2 scripts in production. So you see movies are quite a huge part of my life. Feel free to drop into my video library any time and Im sure I could teach you a thing or two about cinema ;)

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote:
    haha .. my point was that hardly any of those questions are relevant for a videostore employee to know ... We dont need to know what the name of a character in a movies name is ... you need to know does that movie match the expectations of the customer.

Example:

Customer: Is High Fidelity any good?

Assistant: Well that depends

Customer: on what?

Assistant: on what kind of movie you are in the mood for and kind of movies you liked in the past.

Customer: oh well I really liked fever pitch

Assistant: (thinks to himself .. oh man this guy has really bad taste in movies) Well Sir I think you would really enjoy that movie :)

Btw mycroft I have worked in a video library now part time for 3 years and before that in a cinema for two years. My Gf is currently in UCLA on a scholarship that she won while doing her masters in screenwriting .. my best friend also has a degree in a film and a masters in screenwriting and has 2 scripts in production. So you see movies are quite a huge part of my life. Feel free to drop into my video library any time and Im sure I could teach you a thing or two about cinema ;)

I think the whole idea is that they are random questions on film to test peoples general knowledge of films.

Movies,like all artforms are about interpratation and so one mans "crap" is another mans "great".

I think you should have a long chat with your girlfriend and your mates.i`m sure they could teach you a thing or two ;)

adox wrote:
    I think the whole idea is that they are random questions on film to test peoples general knowledge of films.

Movies,like all artforms are about interpratation and so one mans "crap" is another mans "great".

I think you should have a long chat with your girlfriend and your mates.i`m sure they could teach you a thing or two ;)

Hmmm .. not too quick are you? Im questioning the relevance of the questions .. Question: What was Roy Schneiders character called in Jaws? and Question: Name the 2 actors to play Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars and Question: What was the 1st name of Kate Winslets character in Titanic and Question: Who Provided the voice of Donkey in Shrek 1 and 2? All of these questions are never going to be asked in a video library so why ask them? They have no bearing on your knowledge of film at all .. having to remember character names is ridiculous as a prerequisite for working in a video library. If you look at my post again you will see that I never tell the customer the movie is crap .. I just think that it is crap ... Now that i know he likes crap movies i can reccomend him many more.

Playboy wrote:

Well so what? Instead of a quick bloody test to show that the staff know their ben kenobi from their ben hur, you want what? Potential staff write detailed fourteen page essay on the cinematography of chris menges?

It's a mainstream video store, quit looking down your nose at the tastes of others.

Wow, your knob is so much bigger than mine, We could get into a pissing contest. You'd lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

But mycroft clearly exhibited the greater knowledge of films than qz and playboy by answering those questions.

Just because they are questions that seem to pertain to films you don't like doesn't make the questions any less relevent. By answering them correctly you display a good level of knowledge and interest in the industry.

Oh.. and the only one I didn't know was number 2.. and that's because I can't stand the Godfather films.

And also High Fidelity wasn't that bad and was certainly in a completely different league to the other Nick Hornby adaptations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Without looking at other posters answers or checking the web...
    1. Bruce Willis - Die Hard
    2. Robert DeNiro & Marlon Brando - Godfather II
    4. High Fidelity
    5. There are actually 5 movies with Ben and Owen in them
    Zoolander, Royal Tenenbaums, Starsky & Hutch, Meet the Fockers, Meet the Parents
    6. Alec Guinness & Ewan McGregor
    7. Labyrinth (sp?)
    8. False. She was only in Silence of the Lambs
    9. Rose
    10. Eddie Murphy

mycroft wrote:
    Well so what? Instead of a quick bloody test to show that the staff know their ben kenobi from their ben hur, you want what? Potential staff write detailed fourteen page essay on the cinematography of chris menges?

It's a mainstream video store, quit looking down your nose at the tastes of others.

lol m8 are u slow or something? ... It’s very easy to devise a movie quiz that doesn’t have bullsh*t questions like the one above. My point is (which for some reason you cant understand) is that those questions are in no way a sufficient test of any kind to establish a persons knowledge of cinema or film in general. What the hell difference does it make if I know the name of Roy Schneider’s character in Jaws or not. I can tell you when the film was made, what it’s about, who directed it, who starred in it etc. etc. The question is complete bull as are most of the other questions. They have absolutely no relevance. Just like an essay on cinematography would have no relevance. Can you understand that or do you want me to repeat it again slowly?

mycroft wrote:
    Wow, your knob is so much bigger than mine, We could get into a pissing contest. You'd lose.

lol again ... earlier you made an assumption about me. You assumed I didn’t know anything about film and you proceeded to mock me using some idiotic wine merchant scenario. I was merely explaining to you that your assumption was wrong and that in fact film was a huge part of my everyday life. And btw I hope you know that I really believe you when you tell me that Id lose in some kind film quiz pissing contest scenario. You have already shown me exactly how extensive your knowledge of film is. I hope you find time to squeeze in some Goddard among your constant rewatchings of Titanic :rolleyes:

Playboy wrote:
    lol m8 are u slow or something? ... It’s very easy to devise a movie quiz that doesn’t have bullsh*t questions like the one above. My point is (which for some reason you cant understand) is that those questions are in no way a sufficient test of any kind to establish a persons knowledge of cinema or film in general. What the hell difference does it make if I know the name of Roy Schneider’s character in Jaws or not. I can tell you when the film was made, what it’s about, who directed it, who starred in it etc. etc. The question is complete bull as are most of the other questions. They have absolutely no relevance. Just like an essay on cinematography would have no relevance. Can you understand that or do you want me to repeat it again slowly?

Those questions test cinema general knowledge, that person has a modicum of interest not an encolypiedic knowledge.

When a film was made, you know when ever film was made? Video shops have reference books? Want to do you want a collection of rainman esque film dorks or someone with a general gist and interest in films and some people skills.

Something you seem to lack.

lol again ... earlier you made an assumption about me. You assumed I didn’t know anything about film and you proceeded to mock me using some idiotic wine merchant scenario.

lets look at some of your answers in your OP.
    Who cares and why would it matter to a guy working in a videoshop?

Again who cares

You would want to be a really sad man to know the answer to this

I don't know where I got the assumption you know nothing about film
    :rolleyes:
    I was merely explaining to you that your assumption was wrong and that in fact film was a huge part of my everyday life. And btw I hope you know that I really believe you when you tell me that Id lose in some kind film quiz pissing contest scenario. You have already shown me exactly how extensive your knowledge of film is. I hope you find time to squeeze in some Goddard among your constant rewatchings of Titanic :rolleyes:

No please go back to telling us how cool you are because your girlfriend is in film school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Great quiz eh?

Anyhoo took me a few years before i seen Titanic and it wasnt as bad as i assumed it would be, not a bad movie tbh.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i liked it. :D

@playboy.....lol....that is all.

mycroft wrote:
    Those questions test cinema general knowledge, that person has a modicum of interest not an encolypiedic knowledge.

When a film was made, you know when ever film was made? Video shops have reference books? Want to do you want a collection of rainman esque film dorks or someone with a general gist and interest in films and some people skills.

Something you seem to lack.

Idiot is too good a word for you. The questions in the quiz test whether you have an ability to hold onto lots of crap information that have no relevance to working in a video library. I’ve seen Titanic once .. hated it ... Do I remember what Kate Winslets character's name is ... No I don’t .. why the hell would I? It doesn’t test whether you have a general interest in films or not .. it tests whether or not you have watched Titanic and Jaws enough times to remember the character names. That those kind of questions are in a quiz to get a job in a video library is a joke. And no I don’t want a really difficult quiz with lots of questions on world cinema .. I think the questions should be much more general than what they are. And I think you would want to take a look at yourself b4 you question anyone else's people skills. You initiated this little feud not me. You seem to have this whole angry little kid thing going on ... like a guy who hasn’t had sex in a year and needs to take his frustrations out on people on message board .. How sad :(

mycroft wrote:
    lets look at some of your answers in your OP.

I don't know where I got the assumption you know nothing about film
    :rolleyes:

Hmmm maybe if you used your brain you might have realised that those answers indicated disdain at the ridiculous nature of the questions and not a lack of knowledge.
    mycroft wrote:
    No please go back to telling us how cool you are because your girlfriend is in film school.

And she is hot too!! Obviously you never had a girlfriend. It explains the frustrated and angry nature of your posts not just in this thread but in most. Have fun hugging yourself in your sleep ... idiot ;)

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote:
    i liked it. :D

@playboy.....lol....that is all.

you and your +1 posts amuse me 2 :)

Playboy wrote:
    Idiot is too good a word for you. The questions in the quiz test whether you have an ability to hold onto lots of crap information that have no relevance to working in a video library. I’ve seen Titanic once .. hated it ... Do I remember what Kate Winslets character's name is ... No I don’t .. why the hell would I? It doesn’t test whether you have a general interest in films or not .. it tests whether or not you have watched Titanic and Jaws enough times to remember the character names. That those kind of questions are in a quiz to get a job in a video library is a joke. And no I don’t want a really difficult quiz with lots of questions on world cinema .. I think the questions should be much more general than what they are. And I think you would want to take a look at yourself b4 you question anyone else's people skills. You initiated this little feud not me. You seem to have this whole angry little kid thing going on ... like a guy who hasn’t had sex in a year and needs to take his frustrations out on people on message board .. How sad :(

Hmmm maybe if you used your brain you might have realised that those answers indicated disdain at the ridiculous nature of the questions and not a lack of knowledge.

And she is hot too!! Obviously you never had a girlfriend. It explains the frustrated and angry nature of your posts not just in this thread but in most. Have fun hugging yourself in your sleep ... idiot ;)

Mr Pot? Mr Kettle is calling about those racially insenstive comments you made earlier, apparently theres some unintended irony there that you missed.

I'm sure your hot "girlfriend" is all lonely in LA waiting chastily for such a fine speciment of manhood as yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Oh Buuuuuuuuuuuurn!

You try too hard dude.

Playboy wrote:
    You try too hard dude.

Tosses you the savlon.

Arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics .... even if you lose we're still very proud of you!

Personally I blame Kdjac for all this hostility. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

1. Bruce Willis
    2. I think... Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro (The Godfather Trilogy)
    4. Fever Pitch, High Fidelity, About A Boy
    5. Starsky And Hutch, Zoolander, Meet The Parents
    6. Alec Guinness, Ewan McGregor
    7. Labyrinth (got it on DVD!)
    8. False. (Julianne Moore in Hannibal)
    9. Rose
    10. Eddie Murphy

Fantastic stuff! Still stumped regarding the Jaws question.. definantly on the tip of my tongue!

basquille wrote:
    Fantastic stuff! Still stumped regarding the Jaws question.. definantly on the tip of my tongue!

That's what Jaws liked about Quint.

Not to carry on the argument :D but playboy from what I`m reading from your posts I think you`d prefer the following line of questioning when asked to show your cinematic intellect:

Question: What did you think of Titanic?

Playboys answer: I thought it was CRAP.

Give that boy a job!

• Advertisement

adox wrote:
    Not to carry on the argument :D but playboy from what I`m reading from your posts I think you`d prefer the following line of questioning when asked to show your cinematic intellect:

Question: What did you think of Titanic?

Playboys answer: I thought it was CRAP.

Give that boy a job!

That would be the right answer too ;)

But seriously ... Its not that I mind a Titanic question such as who were the two main actors in Titanic or who directed Titanic. Easy questions that everybody knows even if you didnt like the movie. But expecting people to remeber the name of a character after only watching the movie once many years ago is a bit ridiculous and unfair unless you expect your employees to have watched this brilliant piece of cinema many times :rolleyes:

Playboy wrote:
    That would be the right answer too ;)

But seriously ... Its not that I mind a Titanic question such as who were the two main actors in Titanic or who directed Titanic. Easy questions that everybody knows even if you didnt like the movie. But expecting people to remeber the name of a character after only watching the movie once many years ago is a bit ridiculous and unfair unless you expect your employees to have watched this brilliant piece of cinema many times :rolleyes:

Or if you'd just got the Adam and Joe show DVD on Amazon and watched their version of "toytanic"

Oh look you made a friend *pats head*

mycroft wrote:
    Or if you'd just got the Adam and Joe show DVD on Amazon and watched their version of "toytanic"

Oh look you made a friend *pats head*

Still trying 2 hard. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I'll help you fight off those damned boardsie's Playboy :D . I actually agree with you. Some of the questions are idiotic but also its a good idea to test knowledge, maybe with better questions.

Advertisement